My World is Shrinking

Daily yoga balance exercises can make a big difference too

Maybe also an activity that "shows you where your feet are", as a hacky sack enthusiast I know says. I've been trying a little hacky sack now and then. It's quite challenging, engaging a variety of motor skills. You can also work up a sweat trying to keep that little footbag in the air. It's easy on the joints, too, though possibly hazardous to household items such as lamps and vases.

I was never a fan of the Apple Watch until I learned the series 4 has a feature to detect a hard fall. It asks if you want to call 911, and if there is no response after 60 seconds it automatically calls 911. The GPS feature tells them where you are located. Pretty cool!
With my bad back issues I’ve fallen a few times, plus having heart disease it gives me some peace knowing I won’t be alone for long if something happens.

Recently found out that the Apple watch can also detect heart arrhythmia. Sounds crazy, but here it is: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018...-notification-available-today-on-apple-watch/

I’ve had some falls while walking too fast and not paying enough attention to uneven surfaces such as sidewalks with tree roots under them.
These are all over where I live. Last fall I was leaving my son's house after dinner and walking rapidly to catch a bus home. In the dark, I tripped on a sidewalk slab that was raised close to 3". Abrasions all over, but luckily no breaks or sprains. I rolled sideward and kept my head up and my arms folded over my chest. When I was 18 I broke a shoulder by putting an arm down to break a fall. Not a very clever thing to do, but kind of a reflex. I took several years of weight training to keep that arm from dislocating in certain movements.

Ha

I have a doctor friend who advises hyperbaric oxygen therapy for brain injuries - even if it has been years since the injury. Lots of YouTube videos about hyperbaric oxygen and TBI.

Trekking Poles

Recently, I have been using trekking poles during my urban walks. Initially, I was interested in picking up my pace for a more aerobic workout and my trainer suggested using them. But having twice as many points of contact with the sidewalk really helps with balance on uneven surfaces. They don't help if I need my hands free, such as when walking the dogs, but otherwise I really like using them and they help keep my heart rate up.

As for ice, I lived in Finland for awhile and have two recommendations. The first are Yaktrax grippers, which go under and over your shoes or boots and are reasonably comfortable for walking on icy sidewalks and driveways. Super easy to get on and off. The second are Kahtoola spikes, which I found more suitable for thicker ice and bit more difficult to get on. During the winter, I didn't leave home without one or both of them in my backpack and I got through a few winters without a serious fall.
BR

Reactions: W2R

I noticed both mishaps happened while attending pets.

The only time I was badly injured was when I slipped on the ice while filling a cat's water bowl... and it wasn't even my cat !!

Two additions...

Try putting on your shoes while standing. The balance and strength required to do this while standing on one foot is challenging. It gets easier after some time so there is a built in metric telling you that its making a difference.

And try a boot such as the Baffin Trapper. It's warm,dry and most of all the rubber sole feels like it sticks to ice. The difference between my tennis shoes and those boots on ice is amazing. I refuse to walk in the winter without them now.

I'll add another word of caution. Parking space concrete bumpers!! I had a terrible fall two years ago when I was at a wilderness area - in the parking lot - on a birding trip. I got out of the car while looking up through my binoculars watching eagles coming in. As I started to move forward to get a better view (still looking up) I stubbed my toe on the unnoticed bumper and launched myself onto the concrete sidewalk on the other side of the bumper.

Thankfully I didn't hit my head hard enough to lose consciousness but I did cut up my chin, put three teeth through my lower lip, sprained my left arm, including hand and wrist, up to the elbow and, worst of all, tore muscles, tendons, and damaged nerves in my calf resulting in compression syndrome in that lower leg. I also went into shock. Amazingly I didn't break anything. Fortunately I was with a friend who is an ICU nurse who got me sorted out and got me home.

Two years later all is well except for the leg which will plague me for the rest of my life. No more hiking or walking on hills, no stairs, no bicycling of any sort. Walking on flat surfaces is mostly OK but anything that causes me to have to raise my toe above my heel is out. I must say that the pain from that leg was the most excruciating I've ever had - worse than kidney stones, or any of the several major surgeries I've had. It was like the fire of a thousand scorpions every time I'd put any weight on it. It still aches and twitches and burns but not like in the beginning.

When I went to the doctor he said he sees more falls from encounters with parking space bumpers than from any other cause. His opinion was that they should be outlawed.

So the takeaway, as others have pointed out, is watch where you're stepping! I learned that lesson the hard way and I hope I'll never forget it.

Thanks for the tip about the parking barrier. That fall sounds horrible.

It's really hard for a birdwatcher to watch where they are stepping!!!!

These are all over where I live. Last fall I was leaving my son's house after dinner and walking rapidly to catch a bus home. In the dark, I tripped on a sidewalk slab that was raised close to 3". Abrasions all over, but luckily no breaks or sprains. I rolled sideward and kept my head up and my arms folded over my chest. When I was 18 I broke a shoulder by putting an arm down to break a fall. Not a very clever thing to do, but kind of a reflex. I took several years of weight training to keep that arm from dislocating in certain movements.

Ha
I guess I was lucky. I had just put the stairs in my house about 4 months ago and one of the first mornings after I was in a hurry to get down to the bathroom and didn't turn the light on. I thought I was on the last stair, but I was on the next to last. I stepped on less than half of the last step and the concrete floor was about to get my face planted in it. I got my hands out and did not hit my head. I had a sore wrist for a couple of days, but nothing more. Most of the high ladder work is done, but sometimes it is the safe stuff that gets ya. I put in an automatic night light at the bottom of the stairs right after that.

Thanks for the tip about the parking barrier. That fall sounds horrible.

I’ve tripped twice on those suckers, just getting out of the car. The way they were placed and the angle of the door when I got out created a hazard I just didn’t see. Down I went.

I feel a bit better now, having read Flubber’s post about how frequently this type of fall occurs.

I felt like an idiot at the time. My pride sustained the biggest injury in those instances.

Believe me, I felt like an idiot, too. I kept thinking how it would have made a better story if I'd fallen over a rock out on the trail instead of in the parking lot. At least I would have been in the wilderness watching eagles which was the whole point of the trip in the first place. I console myself that I did get to see some awesome eagles before I crashed.

We hike primitive trails with rocks all over them twice a week. This year it has become pretty difficult for me (now 64) to manage. I have to keep my eyes on the ground, not helped at all by progressive lens glasses, and think more about my steps. Especially towards the end of a hike when me and my legs are tired, and my feet aren't going exactly where I tell them to, I end up kicking a few rocks instead of stepping over them. My balance is already bad enough as well that placing a hand on a nearby rock before taking a big step up/down is a good idea. Quite a difference even from last year.

I took an easy spill on a FlowRider stationary surfing thing on a cruise a couple of years ago and didn't think twice about it. Except the next day I had a few extra aches and bruises to show for it. I try to stay low impact now.

I am surprised how many people are having the same problem. It makes me feel better but it sucks for everyone.

My spouse has been suffering from an ongoing neurological issue and a serious vision challenge for two years. Fortunately the neurological issue was finally diagnosed and her November surgery was successful. The eye issue will be resolved next month with new lenses.

During this time her eyesight was poor and she had headaches and balance challenges from time to time. Despite this we were able to travel. All of it independent travel to some less developed countries. Read no sidewalks, broken sidewalks, heaving sidewalks. She/we simply had to be careful walking etc. Yes, it slowed us down a little but did not really stop us from travel. We simply had to be more careful-particularly when walking.

I do think that it is possible to adapt to new circumstances, temporary or otherwise. Don't let something like this get you down or limit your horizons. You have keep moving forward.

I am going to start doing the standing on 1 leg. Both yoga and tai chi throw my back out. I don’t intend to give up walking. I am just going slower and paying more attention. Independent, you have had some bad injuries also. Glad you can walk again.

A good yoga teacher could set up a practice for you to help with balance, that does not tweak your back. There are quite a few poses that could be done at almost any age.

Maybe also an activity that "shows you where your feet are", as a hacky sack enthusiast I know says. I've been trying a little hacky sack now and then. It's quite challenging, engaging a variety of motor skills. You can also work up a sweat trying to keep that little footbag in the air. It's easy on the joints, too, though possibly hazardous to household items such as lamps and vases.

I remember visiting China and seeing a very wizened, very old lady playing hackysack by herself in a park. This struck me as curious because I associated hackysack with American, skateboarding youths. But the sack had a big plume on it, which slowed it down considerably. It also made the activity look measured, graceful, and elegant. Ingenious!

Was chasing my son on race skis on some steepest terrain in the East. Broke my fibula and dislocated ankle the next morning in the hotel lobby. Couldn't even let the dog out without the following ordeal: Sit on floor keeping one leg in air, open door and get legs through door opening, pull crutches down steps, attempt to get dog out second door, on rear scoot back up steps, get legs though opening (usually the hardest part), stand back up only using one leg.

Crazy how out of the blue can go from athletic to just feeling grateful that you have good people / family that care about you.

I am suffering from a knee injury that occurred 40+ years ago. In the last year, it has gone from a nuisance that I can deal with to the #1 limitation on my life. My world has reduced in size immensely. Walking, hiking, dancing, etc just can't be done anymore. Recently, I returned from a previously planned trip. While I did a lot and saw a lot, I still spent far to much time in the hotel room nursing the knee.

This summer the Ortho-doc will replace my damaged knee parts with some new ones. I am looking forward to 2020.

Since selfies have become a thing that has been happening more often. People aren't paying attention.

After 3 months I got my cast off and my wrist is stiff. He gave me exercises to do and said if not better in a month he will prescribe PT. It’s still painful with certain movements. I think this will be a long term reminder to be careful.

I'll add another word of caution. Parking space concrete bumpers!! I had a terrible fall two years ago when I was at a wilderness area - in the parking lot - on a birding trip.

+1000!

These are terrible, terrible hazards. Beware all parking lots, especially near the building since these bumpers are there to help stop cars from hitting buildings.

Just last week DW and I were having a discussion on the way out of a restaurant and I tripped on one of these. As I was going down, I started to run, thinking I could pull out of the dive. Nope, I was not going to make it. A the last minute I turned and went shoulder first and rolled twice. DW said she thought I was dead. Turned out all that thrashing and rolling helped me scrub off energy. It looked bad, but I was fine. At age 56, I still have a few moves. But this is it. I won't have that kind of flexibility in the future.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to beware of those.

Back
Top Bottom