NBR gone?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I had no idea. I watched tonight’s “Nightly Business Report” and they closed by saying it’s gone. CNBC will not continue to produce. Say it ain’t so, it’s the only business-oriented show I watch, even though I preferred it pre-CNBC.

Try “marketplace” on NPR. Best non commercial business news, if you don’t mind radio or podcasts.

Try “marketplace” on NPR. Best non commercial business news, if you don’t mind radio or podcasts.

I don’t mind radio or podcasts at all. That’s a good idea. Marketplace and NBR air at the same time here, so NBR won out. I couldn’t find a Marketplace podcast to which I could subscribe, but I’ll try harder.

Thanks for the reminder, I prefer programs targeted to a more mature viewpoint (no buy-buy-buy market timers).

[ADDED] Nothing like a crisis/wake-up call. Found the Marketplace podcast.

Last edited:
NBR is a wonderful program. We watch it almost every day. With DVR we watch it when it suits us - usually when it airs locally at 6:30 eastern time.

Yep, it's sad to see it go. Yes, Marketplace on NPR is similar and I guess I'll switch (back) to that for my business news but it's not the same as NBR.

NBR is gone. Say it ain't so!

I heard it on tonight's broadcast too. Very disappointed. I enjoyed their reporting.

Pre-internet, NBR was a must. Guess I'll have to wish it the best of goodbyes/buys.

Man, oh man! Bummer!

I still reminisce about young Neil Cavuto and Paul Kangas back in the day.

Wow, I'll miss NBR.

I'm not familiar with Marketplace, but I asked Alexa(Echo) to "play Marketplace podcast" and she found it on Apple podcasts. Alexa recently got access to 800,000 Apple podcasts.

I do not see marketplace a comparable to NBR. Good show though.

Sure will miss NBR.

It’s different. They offer a perspective not found on the big financial networks and of course its radio vs TV so the broadcasts are presented without charts and such.

If you like podcasts, I find Ric Edelman is good at informing without pushing anything.

I liked NBR. For some brief periods of time I would DVR it and watch it regularly.

I also am a regular listener to Marketplace... usually listen to the podcast while showering.

Another similar program that I used to watch regularly was Wealthtrack... I see that it is still on... I need to add it to my recordings list.

But the best of all time was Wall Street Week back when Louis Rukeyser was on it.

But the best of all time was Wall Street Week back when Louis Rukeyser was on it.

My parents were addicted to that program. Once they’d both retired they were glued to their seats religiously at airtime. The two of them and the dog (who didn’t do any investing to my knowledge).

I have listened to the NBR podcast nearly every day while on my morning walk. I'll miss it. I listened to Marketplace in the past but found Kai Ryssdal very annoying.

I received a supplemental podcast today from (from NBR?) recommending and including "The Exchange" from CNBC. I listened to it and it is a possible replacement but definitely has a different vibe.

Wow, end of an era.

I started my investing in my young career in 1985, and watched both NBR and Wall Street Week religiously. They got me through the crash of '87 without too much panic.

The internet has taken over. Times change. Too bad.

Yes, another "end of an era" moment.

Reminds me of the end of Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser. I learned most of what I know of financial issues from that show.

All this talk of NBR reminds me of the early 80's when I was growing up. In the Los Angeles TV market there was channel 22 that had the stock market news during the day with live market coverage .

I remember it suddenly disappeared maybe when ON tv came about. OTA stock market coverage just doesn't seem to exist on tv anymore.

ETA-I think ONTV was channel 52 not 22. But channel 22 was the business channel in the 80's. That was a long time ago, I forgot.

Last edited:

+1

Your comment got me wondering how the Elves are doing these days. Has anybody checked up on them since Louis left us?

Rukeyser also did a Sunday morning show called Perspective, where he took an in depth look at various issues of the day. It spoiled me. Mr. Rukeyser had a level of quality that is rarely seen in the today's modern media.

I loved Louis Rukeyser's Wall Street Week, and watched it regularly back when it was on. He seemed to have a lot of common sense, and humanity in his approach. Like others, I miss that show a lot.

I watched Cramer occasionally for a while back in the early 2000's, but TBH his show seems like such a dumpster fire at times even though he is entertaining. I just need the info and analysis and his delivery is just too much for me, especially during market crashes like 2008-2009. So I stopped watching him around that time.

Now I get all my info on the internet. I never even knew about NBR.

Man, oh man! Bummer!

I still reminisce about young Neil Cavuto and Paul Kangas back in the day.

Me too ! Gone. Darn. Enjoyed their format. Simple, interesting. Not that political. Just basic business info..... Will be missed. :(

I'm curious why so many index B&H posters would watch any daily business show?

I used to listen to Marketplace on NPR if it was on during my drive home. I don't think I ever got much of anything out of it investing-wise, but occasionally a feature spot would be interesting, some new development or something. But again, I was a captive audience in the car, it was a decent break from music or fiddling with CDs (this was pre-streaming days). And Kai Ryssdal is still host? Wow, that's been a long run, it was over 15 years ago that I was tuning in, and he had been on for a few years, replacing old what's his name.

And I listened to Bob Brinker's weekend shows, until I already knew 95% of what he was going to say and didn't care about the other 4.99%, but I learned a lot in the early years of listening.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom