New activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live And Learn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Necessity is the mother of invention. I know many of us are engaging in new activities; I'd like to learn what everyone is doing while staying safe.

With Mass cancelled I've been watching Mass online which are being livesteamed by our local Diocese. That got me interested in what other places are doing. I watched a Mass from Kenya! I'm going to do more of that - virtually travel to Mass around the world. Definitely something I wouldn't have thought about doing in the past.

Other than that I am back to reading novels, something that I ran out of time for (being retired means having time to do things I've wanted to do but until I was forced to, I had no "pause" button!).

When Cambridge was closed due to the plague in 1665, Isaac Newton was forced to self-quarantine at home, where he invented the calculus, along with his theories of optics and gravitation.

Imagine what he could have done if he had a decent wifi signal at his house!

............Imagine what he could have done if he had a decent wifi signal at his house!
He probably would have just watched cat videos and calculus would still be unknown.

I'm still running (solo) outside, and even though NJ has some strict guidelines, solo exercising is still approved. But I'm waiting for a further crackdown -so today I plotted out a run from front of my driveway to the perimeter of my backyard. A mere 16 laps or so = 1 mile. I try to do at least 3 miles, so yikes that'll be 48 laps if I don't die of boredom.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I know many of us are engaging in new activities; I'd like to learn what everyone is doing while staying safe.

With Mass cancelled I've been watching Mass online which are being livesteamed by our local Diocese. That got me interested in what other places are doing. I watched a Mass from Kenya! I'm going to do more of that - virtually travel to Mass around the world. Definitely something I wouldn't have thought about doing in the past.

Other than that I am back to reading novels, something that I ran out of time for (being retired means having time to do things I've wanted to do but until I was forced to, I had no "pause" button!).

Our church services have been online for weeks now...just did a Zoom meeting for Sunday School...it included a couple who have moved to Africa as missionaries.

DW & I are bicyclists. Bike paths in our area are much more in use now than they were a few months ago. Stopped in our local bike shop this morning to pick up some chain lube. The owner told us that business over the past month has never been better. This past Saturday alone their shop sold 11 bicycles. He said that bicycle accessories are also "flying" off the shelves. The bike shop mechanics have more work than they can handle.

While some businesses are suffering during this time, others like our local bike shop are making hay.

I went to pick up groceries today, without getting out of the car, and I saw a drive through communion in Surfside, SC!!

I am walking and bicycle riding alone.

I've moved my daily dog walk from the beach (which is closed) to the neighborhood. It's harder to social distance in the neighborhood because more people, narrow sidewalks.

My 17 year old and I have started a daily challenge on planks. Being a fit 17 year old, he can obviously do longer times compared to his overweight, slothenly mom.... but I'm improving. The first day he did 6x my time. Today he barely got 3x my time. (And his total time has increased as well.) My goal is to get to even with him. HA!

I am not a clean freak when it comes to household chores... but I'm spending much more time cleaning surfaces, disinfecting, etc. The house has a strong smell of pinesol and bleach these days.

I am also not fond of weeding... but I've been weeding every day. With the recent rains the weeds are pretty easy to pull. It's nice to be outside in the sun being productive.

The parks where I normally hike and bike are closed. So I’m walking 4 miles or so around the neighborhood. And I’ll be riding the bike around the neighborhood when it warms up a bit.

Still have a few woodworking projects, but I’m running out of wood. And I should have the kayak out and yard work started in about a week.

I ordered some fishing gear - ultralight spinning rod/reel that I’ll put to use in a few days. It looks like fishing will soon be added to the hobby list. Along with Netflix that i started a few days ago.

So it looks like I’ll stay busy.

DW and I have started playing cards - something we've never done. So far just rummy, but who knows. Probably going to have to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting. Still a little early to get out and work in the yard, but that will be welcome more this year than ever before.

I'm not doing anything new, really. Maybe a little more housework than before, since I am here anyway so why not.

I am playing my video game for endless hours, but I have had that planned ever since last fall when the release date was announced.

I have attacked the front and back yards with plants, flowers, trimming, moving rocks, hardscape and TLC. My back is killing me. Oh, the new hip is 4 months old and performing well. :)

I have attacked the front and back yards with plants, flowers, trimming, moving rocks, hardscape and TLC. My back is killing me. Oh, the new hip is 4 months old and performing well. :)

Glad to hear it! We were SO lucky to get our joint replacements done before the pandemic. I think it's going to be very hard to schedule any elective surgery for quite a while.

Glad to hear it! We were SO lucky to get our joint replacements done before the pandemic. I think it's going to be very hard to schedule any elective surgery for quite a while.

Yes, I have a friend who's knee replacement has been put on hold.

DW and I have started playing cards - something we've never done. So far just rummy, but who knows. Probably going to have to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting. Still a little early to get out and work in the yard, but that will be welcome more this year than ever before.

DH and I met when I was 11 and he was 15 and started dating 6 years later - board games were a big part of the time we shared. We're back at it playing Uno (we played that constantly when we dating), Mexican Train dominos, and more recently Monopoly. I also bought "Risk" (board game) which we used to play when we were dating but we haven't opened it yet.

I may permanently switch my upper body workouts to my TRX. My gym is closed, of course, and I look forward to being able to use something besides my treadmill at home for my legs and thighs, but I'd bought the TRX 6 years ago, intending to take it on trips, and rarely used it. It's a great gadget.

While I'm glad to have on-line church services (and have watched them from 2 different churches the last 2 Sundays) I will be VERY grateful to be back with my community in person, whenever that can happen.

I think it has made our church leadership more aware of what we can/should do to keep people connected beyond what goes on in the building.

I am doing tai chi and I find it really relaxing during this stressful time .I do it from online videos .

Not really anything new, walking the neighborhood, working in the yard, reading.
Have Duolingo on my phone, may work at it more than I have.
DH stated last night he was ready to pull out Monopoly, but it is kind of boring with only two.....

I’ve decided to dig into projects that have been on the back burner for way too long. For example:

- completely organizing my photo “collection”. Scanning old photos, coming up with a digital storage and backup strategy, and implementing it
- gaining a deeper understanding of various programs I use (i.e. 1Password’s full slate of features)
- exploring online learning opportunitiies and offerings from both libraries that I’m a member of
- scanning online sites for deals (I’ve already found a couple screaming deals that will save $$$ over the next year)
- Yardwork - our yard is weed free and looks better than it has in a long time
- Closet and drawers - organized, cleaned, and minimized
...and so on.

When I was one month away from retirement I started thinking about what I would do with all my new "free time". Didn't last long before I became a professional volunteer LOL. In prep for finding "things to do" I purchased a bunch of intricate coloring books. I've pulled those out, along with my 100 colored pencils and 36 gel pens and have been doing that on and off. I like taking a 15 minute break from *life* this way

I'm still running (solo) outside, and even though NJ has some strict guidelines, solo exercising is still approved. But I'm waiting for a further crackdown -so today I plotted out a run from front of my driveway to the perimeter of my backyard. A mere 16 laps or so = 1 mile. I try to do at least 3 miles, so yikes that'll be 48 laps if I don't die of boredom.

In my early days in the Air Force, I was stationed at a northern base and my annual physical fitness test came due in January. The only place they could conduct it was in the base gym. We had to run 1.5 miles in a certain time, which was 27 laps around the basketball court. Let me tell you, it was a horrible experience, both for the runners and the poor guy counting our laps.

Some friends contacted us today to play on an one of the few pickleball courts still accessable.

My wife politely said no. We are staying healthy at home. Safe distance but ball contact. Plus sets a bad example.

We created a bastardized court in front of the garage door with chalk lines and net line on the door. Skinny singles off a wall is a surprisingly good workout. Lots of sweat.

Plus I resurected the old cheap weight set and moved it outside now that weather is nicer. Not the gym but it's nice to lift in the sunshine.

I found a new challenge. In researching the history of RHumba, discovered the origins as Son Cubano. Having watched the video,
My new challenge is to be able to do what the male partner does.

A tall order for a 70+yo, but will give it good try. Give it a year or two:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom