New pizza oven (roccbox)

Sunny

Recycles dryer sheets
Just thought I'd share our new toy. It has been a lot of fun this week. Even though I converted a recipie wrong and didn't use enough yeast the first pizzas coming out of it have been quite tasty. Already had the cart to act as a table when drum smoking.

HpkdheA.jpg

JDRy5O4.jpg

dP2bQ2F.jpg

d6YxD6q.jpg

N8CojG6.jpg

interesting. I make a lot of pizzas at home myself, and have developed, over many years, a very elaborate system to get a nice doneness on the crust. Can you post a link of the unit you bought?

This belongs in the "Blow that Dough" thread. Neat toy, but you need to make a LOT of pizzas to come out ahead.

Of course, your pizza looks a whole lot better than Domino's, so maybe not a bad idea.

interesting. I make a lot of pizzas at home myself, and have developed, over many years, a very elaborate system to get a nice doneness on the crust. Can you post a link of the unit you bought?

Sure: https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox

It has a competitor too that I considered: https://ooni.com/products/ooni-koda-16

A lot of pizza carts and mobile businesses use the Roccbox, one did a quick demo start to finish for Gozney:

Kenji (Food Labs book, nice book if you haven't ever seen in) shows them both off:

While the Koda 16 is bigger, in general the Ooni's don't have the insulatoin the Roccbox does but that also means they weigh less. While a larger pizza was tempting, it is also maybe harder to get the center done in the larger oven on the Ooni as it doesn't have that same insulation. The Roccbox seems to be able to crank out pizza after pizza at 900f / 420c though, so smaller ones for everyone works for us.

Of course, your pizza looks a whole lot better than Domino's, so maybe not a bad idea.

Yeah, wasn't really to save money on pizza but more of a hobby, eating healthier (well, at least healthier pizzas, lol), and the fun of it.

And yes, the pizza has been very, very tasty. Better than any delivery pizza by quite a ways.

Edit: And actually, since you brought it up and I just thought about it, we probably will recoup the cost of the $499 oven. There is A LOT of markup in pizza when just comparing the cost of ingredients. $500 = 20-30 delivery or carry out pizzas? My wife's favorite pizza (Margherita and classic Neopolatain) is just the dough (flour the biggest "cost"), cheese, crushed tomato for the sauce, basil we grow in our garden, etc. so likely less than a a few dollars in ingredients. I'll be sure to tell her she has to eat about 40 pizzas to break even. ;) She is already 10% the way there after the first week.

Last edited:
Yeah, wasn't really to save money on pizza but more of a hobby, eating healthier (well, at least healthier pizzas, lol), and the fun of it.

And yes, the pizza has been very, very tasty. Better than any delivery pizza by quite a ways.

And that is why I have a smoker, and am eyeing an upgrade:D.

Just a different toy.

Enjoy the pizza oven

And that is why I have a smoker, and am eyeing an upgrade:D.

Just a different toy.

Enjoy the pizza oven

Will definitely enjoy the pizza oven. Enjoy the better smoker. Get it, you know you need it. ;)

I used to put the dough only on a pizza pan, and cook it part way, before adding toppings. Now, we just put the pizzas in at 500F with everything on top, and they turn out great, but not as good as an oven like this would provide.

Sure: https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox

It has a competitor too that I considered: https://ooni.com/products/ooni-koda-16

A lot of pizza carts and mobile businesses use the Roccbox, one did a quick demo start to finish for Gozney:

Kenji (Food Labs book, nice book if you haven't ever seen in) shows them both off:

While the Koda 16 is bigger, in general the Ooni's don't have the insulatoin the Roccbox does but that also means they weigh less. While a larger pizza was tempting, it is also maybe harder to get the center done in the larger oven on the Ooni as it doesn't have that same insulation. The Roccbox seems to be able to crank out pizza after pizza at 900f / 420c though, so smaller ones for everyone works for us.

thanks for the link...I looked at the Ooni a while back. Cant remember if I checked out Roccbox... probably not in the cards for me due to lack of space, but it looks like a cool toy. Enjoy!

That thing is cool!

That is very cool! If I didn't live within walking distance of this guy, I'd be sorely tempted.

IMG_8127-1068x706.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom