New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Two - I didn't need to show any doctor's prescription in order to get the shot.

Pharmacies in one state said I did need a prescription. In another I didn't. So I guess it's a state thing. My PCP was happy to give me one, no charge.

RS5 our state has an all over shortage of the vaccine. MY DH had a major surgery last year and we called everywhere hoping to get it before the surgery. Nada...

I'm still hunting for it, VA will give it to him when they have it in stock since he is now 70. Unfortunately out of the blue last week he got shingles. Antivirals on board immediately and it's been a mild case. He functioned normally the entire time and did not miss any sleep.

I'm renewing my efforts to find a dose for myself and am getting frustrated that it is taking so long. Found out at the clinic the biggest in a 5 county area they don't even carry the vaccine because of so many issues with insurance companies and patient complaints after they found out insurance wasn't paying for it.

I also called the local CVS pharmacy and the woman there told me they won't have any Shingrix until next January. She wasn't aware if CVS charges an additional fee to issue a prescription

I paid nothing for my shots at CVS. No prescription.

Pharmacies in one state said I did need a prescription. In another I didn't. So I guess it's a state thing. My PCP was happy to give me one, no charge.

Interesting. My PCP did give me a prescription anyway.
Day 2 of my shot, I did get a small fever and my body had slight flu like symptoms, which was strange as I can't remember the last time I had the flu.
Today all better.

DH and I finally got our Shingrix shots today, and amazingly our BCBSTX HMO insurance covered the shots, so they were free!!! Nice surprise. Went to Costco. Availability had been great, but recently became more spotty. They called us yesterday to let us know they got some more.

We both had already gotten the Zostavax vaccine 4 and 6 years ago.

Had my second shot mid July. Sick after the first one for a day. After second shot just some minor body aches. Glad it's over though. Paid $0 using Aetna retiree medical!

I got my first shot earlier this week. Pharmacist warned me that my shoulder would probably hurt, more than other vaccines, for a couple of days and he was right! A doctor friend of mine said that some people were on their backs the next day too. That got in my head a bit and I skipped a planned run since I felt kind of sluggish. Ok the next day though.

Got my second shot last week. Walgreens had plenty of supply - walk in. No reaction. 100% covered by Blue Shield insurance.

They scheduled us for our second shot at Walgreen's on 09/23 - 2 months after the first shot.

I got on a list for the shot months ago at my Fred Meyer pharmacy. The pharmacist said they'd call me when the vaccine was available. He said it was looking like that wouldn't happen until January. I dropped by last night during a grocery run, and the stuff had come in! The pharmacist said they were getting regular shipments now, and were giving shots as folks asked for them. Not sure what the list was about then :confused:. Anyways, I got my first shot, covered by insurance. Arm is a little sore this morning and I have a slight headache. Hoping the coffee will help my head.

I was able to get mine via my PCP both shots. More of being at the right place at the right time for the first one. I put my name on a list at a few pharmacies in the area and they all got some in and contacted me in about 2-4 months.

As for side effects the first made me lethargic for 24 hours, like being stuck in second gear with a couple of spark plugs out.

The second shot was worst than the first. Felt awful and actually had shivering that night and crawled under the covers for a couple of hours.

If it’s any consolation they say that the stronger the reaction the better the protection.

It still beats getting the shingles though.

Already had shingles, so vaccine was too late for me.

My understanding is once you’ve had shingles your more likely to have more episodes, so it’s even more important to get the shot. At least that’s what my dr said. I don’t think the big thing is it makes you less likely to developers post hepatic neuralgia

My understanding is once you’ve had shingles your more likely to have more episodes, so it’s even more important to get the shot. At least that’s what my dr said. I don’t think the big thing is it makes you less likely to developers post hepatic neuralgia

Interesting. My doctor said if you get it once you're less likely to have a recurrence. No wonder this thread is 24 pages long

Interesting. My doctor said if you get it once you're less likely to have a recurrence.

"Unfortunately, it is possible to get shingles twice (or more). In fact, of the one in three people who experience shingles, women are at a higher risk of developing it a second time than men are. The longer you experience severe pain after shingles (called post-herpetic neuralgia), the higher your chances of a shingles recurrence."

from https://www.health.com/condition/shingles/can-you-get-shingles-more-than-once

omni

"Unfortunately, it is possible to get shingles twice (or more). In fact, of the one in three people who experience shingles, women are at a higher risk of developing it a second time than men are. The longer you experience severe pain after shingles (called post-herpetic neuralgia), the higher your chances of a shingles recurrence."

from https://www.health.com/condition/shingles/can-you-get-shingles-more-than-once

omni

I could say something like "I Choose to believe my doctor. He knows best" but that would be a lie.

My arm was quite sore near the shot site for about three days, then on day 5 I got this rash on my arm a couple of inches below and forward of the shot location. No raised bumps, but skin was sensitive. Day 6 it disappeared and nothing since.

DH had similar soreness, and a much smaller rash area.

Attachments

• DBA0C994-FF4F-4F0A-B490-E0541C0BABA8.jpeg
    DBA0C994-FF4F-4F0A-B490-E0541C0BABA8.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
As for side effects the first made me lethargic for 24 hours, like being stuck in second gear with a couple of spark plugs out.

The second shot was worst than the first. Felt awful and actually had shivering that night and crawled under the covers for a couple of hours.

If it’s any consolation they say that the stronger the reaction the better the protection.

It still beats getting the shingles though.

My headache yesterday expanded into full-blown flu-like symptoms, complete with fever and body aches. Even my hair hurt! Spent the afternoon and evening flopped on the couch with an ice bag on my head. So I'm hoping I'll be well protected. Feel much better this morning. For round two, I'll plan on getting the shot in the morning and popping a Tylenol before bed that night. Maybe I can sleep through the worst of the reaction, if it happens again.

Got the second Shingrix shot yesterday. I called Costco last week to see if there was an shortage. Was told that I had “called at a good time”. They put us on a list for yesterday. Glad we didn’t have to deal with delays, and happy to have it done. Shoulder hurts though.......

Yeah, wish I’d taken an Advil last night. Drs appointment this morning and didn’t want ibuprofen to raise my blood pressure. DH is complaining of some flu-like symptoms. Particularly chills last night.

Last edited:
As I mentioned on a related thread, I am having problems obtaining a Shingrix vaccination in my area due to limited supply and long waiting lists. As suggested (Thanks braumeister!), I may try getting one when on travel - I have an upcoming trip to Dallas. And had not thought of Costco - that might be a better alternative as it requires a membership and maybe less of a senior population since they are not as interested in buying bulk.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday, I happened to see a local pharmacy that had a sign out saying they had it. I have a sore spot on my arm but nothing else unusual.

DH went and got his this afternoon at the same place and while he was there he also got a flu shot. He’s always been anti flu shots (just being a contrarian) but he feels differently now that we are grandparents.

And had not thought of Costco - that might be a better alternative as it requires a membership and maybe less of a senior population since they are not as interested in buying bulk.

Not sure if it varies by location but in my area it's not required that you have a Costco membership to use their pharmacy, got my first Shingrix vaccine there last month

Got my second shot yesterday. It wasn't available earlier in the week when I checked, but a new batch just came in yesterday morning. The pharmacist warned me that the 2nd shot often feels worse. Felt nothing from the shot itself, but then a few hours later, my arm started hurting, and I had a headache and flu-like symptoms. Took 2 Aleve, and I feel better but not 100% today. No redness or swelling.

Back
Top Bottom