Only 6 more months in the cubicle...

GoBugGo

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi all,

I'm early 40s, consultant (software engineer), corporate cog for 15 years.

Six months until financial independence.

I was browsing the web for advice on "how to survive the final months" until retirement...and discovered this amazing community.

At this point, the anticipation is overwhelming--I just want September to get here already.

The community advice is to take each day as it comes, and focus on enjoying the present. Interestingly, that was much easier to do when my retirement date was many years away!

I'm grateful to connect with you all, and I look forward to engaging with the community.

Best,
GBG

You only have 6 months left, so act like it. Long term deliverable? Sure, buddy, I will backload that one. Performance review? Hah! Take your vacation time. Don't stress about the job. It will take a while for you to get there, but start the mental shift now.

You only have 6 months left, so act like it. Long term deliverable? Sure, buddy, I will backload that one. Performance review? Hah! Take your vacation time. Don't stress about the job. It will take a while for you to get there, but start the mental shift now.

Brewer, you get me! It's as if a fog has taken over my mind, and I can't focus on MegaCorp like I used to. And I'm now discovering that this mental fog seems to grow as my date gets closer.

Last edited:
Brewer, you get me! It's as if a fog has taken over my mind, and I can't focus on MegaCorp like I used to. And I'm now discovering that this mental fog seems to grow as my date gets closer.

Don't let it cause you stress. All of the stuff that has consumed you for all these years no longer matters. You are in the home stretch, so just cruise along and you will be done before you know it. In fact, one of the best things you can do is use this as a transition period.

Don't let it cause you stress. All of the stuff that has consumed you for all these years no longer matters. You are in the home stretch, so just cruise along and you will be done before you know it. In fact, one of the best things you can do is use this as a transition period.
+1

All that stuff goes away. It's still amazing to me how I was tied up in BS that really didn't matter.

My VP used to yell if we told him we were entering a change control and would fix a production problem as soon as the CC was approved. He was in the CC approval chain and had directed we MUST have a valid change control before changing a production system! We did what he ordered and he yelled.

WTF? He really told us the CC took zero time and we could change the production system at the same time as entering the CC.[emoji35] Today that's funny![emoji4]

Welcome, Bug. I second Brewer's recommendation. I spent my last six months handing off work to others and contemplating how very little they really needed me. Welcome to the best part of life.

Welcome! Use these last months to make sure all of your financials, health insurance, etc are prepared for retirement. Check with HR for necessary documents, use up personal/vacation days to help time pass. And it will pass quickly :)

Welcome, Bug. I second Brewer's recommendation. I spent my last six months handing off work to others and contemplating how very little they really needed me. Welcome to the best part of life.

Wow I am so fortunate to be a part of this community. I don't talk about early retirement/FI with family or co-workers--they just don't relate to my frame of mind.

But now I FINALLY found a community that "gets" me.

I send a huge THANK YOU to each of you for responding. I truly appreciate all of these wise words.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom