Opinion: Financial Independence has nothing to do with being a millionare

He also says: "...I’m a lucky guy. Cool job, great marriage, nice house, fun hobbies — I have it all...."

Every time I hear 'I have it all', I tend to think: 'next scene'...just don't come home early unannounced some day.

LOL. Yeah, these are the same peeps that feel like they must post a daily announcement on Facebook that they've met the love of their life and are so blessed... Then, everything goes quiet for a few days... and their status changes back to "single"...

In my case, it would even be wrong to think expensive clothes mean I am status-seeking.

I just like really nice clothes that fit really well. (Actually, I hardly wear any clothes right now since it's pretty hot in Florida. Not sure what that says, if anything, about my self-esteem).

I always thought the exact opposite. There must be a self esteem issue with someone who has to have their clothes speak to their status.

But anyway, if someone gets pleasure from buying expensive clothes versus travel its not my place to think they're wrong.

... (Actually, I hardly wear any clothes right now since it's pretty hot in Florida. Not sure what that says, if anything, about my self-esteem).

We need to see some photos before we can comment on your self-esteem. :cool:

About clothes, while we have nice clothes to wear for special occasions, they are not expensive Italian brands. How well the clothes fit makes me feel good, rather than the price.

If we gain too much weight, it will be difficult to look good, no matter what brand. At least that's what I think, because perhaps a good tailor can work wonders.

Last edited:
I sometimes think that the only reason women keep men around is to lug their paraphernalia.

My husband did me a big favor early in our marriage. After I'd downsized a bit to a smaller purse, I couldn't fit everything I'd been carrying in the bigger purse. I had everything spread out on the ottoman next to my new purse. As I struggled to figure out how I was going to make more space where there was none, he picked up one item after another and said, "I've never seen you use this when we're out." He was right and I've downsized even further since.

I never felt the need to look like a million bucks. I don’t think it was lack of self-esteem, rather not caring what other people thought and interested in my own comfort and style.

And our spending follows our priorities.

Actually we do spend up for better brands that fit well and last a long time. But we still look like casual outdoorsy types, certainly not fashion plates.

DW broke down and bought a Coach bag at the Outlet Store. We have a running joke about putting it on the table or elsewhere to make sure the logo shows:LOL:

I got a nice Eddie Bauer bag a church garage sale once for a dollar. Needless to say, there were no armed guards at the door..

The above bag is made of crocodile skin, but of a white color. It's because the donor crocodile is albino! I did not even know there was such a thing.

Hmmm I wonder if the crocodile was aware of his donation?

I read that article last night and was put off by the Target comment until I came to the realization that I am FI and will be RE soon and the author will keep slaving away at his j*b in his expensive clothing.

Tell me about it! The last adventure was a rib eye cap. I'd say 60-40 lean to marble. A bit much, but just amazingly rich. I could feel my arteries hardening with each bite - :)

^^^ Not true. What he means is that you need to blow dough to boost your self-esteem.

I guess that is true with some people, so you cannot say that it does not work, even though it does not apply to me.

Same as many posters have said, when I spend more money whether for stuff or experiences, I expect to get some pleasure. I do not see what it has to do with self-esteem.

My self-esteem must be completely in the dumper.

We stopped at Cabelas yesterday. I wanted to look at Ram mounts for mounting GPS and monitor screens. I saw that they had some nice looking cargo shorts on sale for $19.97. I picked out two pair. The last time I bought a pair of shorts was probably 45 years ago.

My wife looked at me and said- "What the hell is wrong with you?" I replied- "I'm retired!"

^^^ My first impression was that of total awe; how can one make a pair of shorts last 45 years?

Then, I realize that you meant you have not worn shorts for 45 years.

Heck, I have been wearing shorts all the time all my life. I never once wore jeans, T-shirts, or tennis shoes to work. The most casual work clothes I wore were khaki pants, golf shirts, with boat shoes. But off work, I live in shorts and T-shirts. I wear them to bed too.

Tell me about it! The last adventure was a rib eye cap. I'd say 60-40 lean to marble. A bit much, but just amazingly rich. I could feel my arteries hardening with each bite - :)
Just having a little fun and I meant to say plug those veins. Lol I love rib eye the best cut in my opinion, my dad told me that. We were poor so we didn't get steak but once in many moons. When I could afford a steak it was a rib eye and I love them. Have one for me RobbieB. lol

Since retiring and downsizing our personal preferences have really changed. The change was not planned it just happened.

We are far more interested in experiences than we are in things. I suspect that it may be partly attributable to the downsizing exercise. We travel frequently and limit ourselves to carry on only so this has also had an impact on clothing-what we shop for and how often.

We just made a decision to keep our 2006 Accord. Low mileage, like new. Not because we cannot afford a new car or becaues we only want to focus on experiences. The reason is more straightforward than that. Shopping for a new car or buying one is no longer a pleasurable experience and I could care less about the new car smell.

We are also finding that we are buying more product on line. It is easier to shop, the stores near us are understaffed, and the stores in the malls all seem to stock the same product. The only time I go into a store is when I am looking for a specific item that I know is stocked.

Ok Ok So I bought super duper top of the line Carhartt overalls for stylish effect.

heh heh heh - AND I sent away for those roll up slip in knee pads. ;) And a Chevy Trucks baseball cap. Only on Sundays at The Farm mind you.

In the 60s I went to a high school with quite a few affluent students. The accepted clothes were Gant shirts, Levi slacks, Gold Cup socks, and Weejun shoes none of which my parents could afford. So I and a few of my friends decided to buy Penny's chambray Big Mac work shirts for $2, wear those without ironing them and wash them until they were soft. It caught on and more students began to wear them. It soon became a local fad and a status symbol at the high School. Then the affluent guys started having the collars and cuffs monogramed and sent to the cleaners for washing, starching and pressing to make it look like they were dressing down while still looking like they were dressing up.

What did that say about the rich kids?

Cheers!

I and hubs both learned the hard way (during our respective divorces) just how meaningless things are- to us, anyway. At some point things became a burden. Me & ex sold a solid custom made oak table that sat 12 comfortably for only $600 just to get it out of our house before closing its sale (that last thing to happen pre-divorce). Otherwise, one of us would have had to store it. That was before Craig's list, so it was hard to sell things.

That attitude applies to my clothing now more than aver post-retirement. Recently I gave away all of my biz suits- probably 3 k's worth, and am loving all of the the room in my repurposed closet space (I've been on a 2.5 year getting rid of stuff spree). After my next drycleaning run I'm donating whatever that stuff is too, so that everything except for a few items (which I want to keep b/c I love them) is machine/ hand washable.

That last few years I worked, I knew I was a short-timer so anything I bought I had to be appropriate for after corp. life also. So I have a lot of nice clothes all of which will last a long time due to quality and not trendy style. Unless I'm doing some major cleaning, I like to look presentable but be comfortable- think nice shorts/ capris. Also I wear a lot of comfy but nice casual dresses. It is already hot as heck here (and close to 100% humidity), so a dress is perfect for our weather.

Comfort is # 1.

I know some nudists, They appear to have a very high self esteem, but I guess that the lack of clothes means that their self-esteem must be non-existent or negative! The Daily Dirtnap is an interesting read, though of little value (other than random entertainment).

I know some nudists, They appear to have a very high self esteem, but I guess that the lack of clothes means that their self-esteem must be non-existent or negative!

The value of clothes changes with time, and culture. It used to be that stripping a person naked was a usual form of public humiliation.

I just now surfed the Web and found that parading someone buck naked through the streets was still being used today for punishment. In modern days, the video is even put on Youtube to cause further anguish. :)

See:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5554179/Rapists-stripped-naked-paraded-streets-India.html

Last edited:
We get most of our clothes from Costco these days. The best way I've found is to just chuck stuff in the cart when they have something we like. We usually can't wait until we need something because their inventory is always pot luck. But the chuck in the cart method has been working pretty well and usually then we don't need to buy more outside of Costco at the end of the year. Most jeans, shorts, tops and sweaters are just $10 - $20 each which isn't much more than our local Goodwill, only the Costco items are brand new with a longer life span and most are reasonably in style. If I need a new coat I go to Costco and buy one of the three basic styles they probably have in stock at the time and call it good enough.

Even for places like the symphony and ballet here in the Bay Area some people dress up and some do not, so a pair of black skinny jeans and a nice top and sweater jacket are usually middle of the road, acceptable attire. We went to the mall awhile back and the clothes choices were kind of overwhelming.

Last edited:
I buy golf shirts at Goodwill.
Brand new. 100% cotton.
$2 on Monday (senior discount day).
My wife actually said: "these last two look really good".
I wear them when we fly business class to Europe. They stay in Europe after 22 days of vacation.
My self esteem is very good. Thank you.

I buy golf shirts at Goodwill.
Brand new. 100% cotton.

That's it: it's the fabric, not the brand.

Cotton and linen are comfortable in hot weather.
Wool and cashmere are comfortable in cold weather.

Lately, I've been finding nice, thick cotton t-shirts at Kohls. And 100% cotton shorts [with pockets!] at WalMart.

(Remember a few years ago when all the stores were carrying tissue-thin t-shirts? Thrift store were the only place where you could find the thicker shirts.)

Back
Top Bottom