Poll: Loved your Job, or Hated It?

Loved your Job or Hated It?

• I hated all my jobs

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • I hated my last job, but loved working earlier in my career

Votes: 71 54.6%
  • I loved my job and only quit because I had to.

Votes: 38 29.2%

• Total voters

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had thought it axiomatic that early retirees all kinda hated their jobs - or else why would we retire early? But lately I've seen a number of posts either from retirees pining for their former jobs or those currently employed wanting to keep going because they're just so fond of working.

So I figured I'd ask: Did you love your job? Did you ever love any job?

Here's my criterion: If you could have the resources you had upon retirement earlier in your life, would you have continued to work just for the enjoyment of it? (I include all the perks, benefits and additional money as forms of enjoyment).

BTW I know "hated" and "loved" may be a bit too strong to described the ambivalent emotions many felt about w*rk, but I didn't want endless options. Feel free to substitute "mostly liked" or "mostly disliked" if that's a better fit.

Last edited:
While I voted "I loved my job and only quit because I had to." the last part isn't true.... I didn't have to, but I wanted to.... I just had enough $ and wanted more pb4uski time and the travel aspects of my job were a PITA at times.

I enjoyed all my jobs and the people that I worked with for the most part. There were always some times that were not enjoyable and some people who were a PITA, but overall good.

I loved my last boss. He was about 15 years younger than me but we got along well and worked well together and had a lot of fun.

While I enjoyed my work and at times got a lot of satisfaction from work, I don't see me ever saying that if I had enough to retire that I would continue working for the enjoyment of it.... there are much better things to do... even if it is just puttering around not doing much of anything.

Can't vote,
I loved my job, until I didn't! Almost 35 years with the same healthcare entity, same job but different managerial responsibilities, the last two years were a doozy, politics got in the way.

Loved my career in general. Didn't like my very last boss, so volunteered for a great package before they eventually would have "volunteered" me.

Can't vote,
I loved my job, until I didn't! Almost 35 years with the same healthcare entity, same job but different managerial responsibilities, the last two years were a doozy, politics got in the way.

This was exactly my thought as well. I loved it until I didn't. Change in management - all downhill after that. Retired on first day I was eligible for full pension/health care benefits less than a year later.

It was never that simple for me:

I loved the work, mostly. I hated parts of it (powerpoints & politics)
I loved the people, partly. I had my network that I enjoyed collaborating with, and a list of those who were dead to me
Most of my bosses weren't terrible, those that were, were weak and brief. A couple taught me lessons that are still valuable
Most of my employees were great, but the few that weren't made my work much more difficult, and were a drag on the good ones
And good lordy did I love to solve problems - I was good at it! But then I became the person everyone turned to, instead of doing it themselves, and I had to learn to say... figure it out and come to me when you want a decision between your best options
And I hated coming in to 100 emails and late night "emergency" phone calls

So, always, a mixed bag. I didn't ER to get away from working, but towards having all my time be my own.

Can't vote,
I loved my job, until I didn't!

+1

The poll needs another answer option, like "Loved it for a while, but grew tired of it once I reached FI", or some such. Rarely do people only love or only hate their jobs for their entire career.

Personally, I loved my last (and longest) job for many years, then I started to get a little bored with it about 10 years in, then it started getting more annoying and frustrating than fun (about 14 years in), and then for the final few years, I didn't really like it at all—but never hated it.

Last edited:
It wasn’t black and white. The work was great, the stress just too much after a while and more than ready to move on.

Definitely a mixed bag.

I absolutely loved my job and career. I stopped working when I still loved my job and people I worked with. I went out at my peak and never looked back, even thou that was a hard decision to make.

I worked for one aerospace company for over 20 years. I saw company presidents come and go, and I was still there.
I think the crossover from like to hate was when my boss retired. I had worked for him for 10 years, and was his "numbers guy".
My new boss started to bring in his former workers, and I saw the handwriting on the wall. I waited just long enough for my profit sharing to be posted to my 401 K and split.

Can't vote,

Same thing here- really loved what I was doing in my last job but the politics got ugly and I didn't need to work for a living anymore.

I don't love my job, but I don't hate it either. I do look forward to the day when I do not have to anything for a boss (wife excluded).

Love and hate are terms that are too strong. Overall I found working stressful, particularly in medicine. The period of time that I liked working the best was working in a small practice, but it was only part time and not enough money to make ends meet. It didn't pan out. Mostly I tolerated being at work. I enjoyed many of the patients and families. Many, I did not enjoy seeing. I enjoyed school far more than work.

I liked all (8) of my jobs during my 36 year career after school. Some bosses I didn't like so much and one caused me so much anxiety and insomnia that I quit.

I retired because I had enough dough and didn't need to work anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
Neither loved nor hated my job. It was just a job, a means to an end, that’s all.

I liked all my jobs and almost all the people I worked with. I retired because I had a lot of things I wanted to do in my remaining life and work was taking up all my time. Plus, I had enough money.

I was at Megacorp for 29 years. I loved the first 25, last four were nonsensical and I finally fired myself.

Last edited:
I really liked my job and got much enjoyment and financial security from it. But I never had a job I loved. I was always ready to go home at the end of the day.

I liked all my jobs and almost all the people I worked with. I retired because I had a lot of things I wanted to do in my remaining life and work was taking up all my time. Plus, I had enough money.

Basically same for me. Work wasn't a hate it or love it, more like accept and tolerate it. I retired because quality of life is when I went out the gate, not in the gate, at work. So no poll choices really match for me and did not vote.

Neither loved nor hated my job. It was just a job, a means to an end, that’s all.

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I wish I would have found my passion in life. I never loved any job. Some I liked more than others, but I never hated any of them. I my last job of 20+ years, I was happy with my career growth, my salary growth and the people that worked for me and, most important, those that I worked for. It just came down to not liking it enough to do it any longer once I had enough money. I earned my retiree health insurance at 55 and I stayed on until 57 but it was part time after 55. I could have gone a little longer, but they were cutting back and I volunteered to go. I left with a year’s severance and I would have likely only worked OMY anyway so there was no point in staying. Let someone who needed a job keep theirs. I was done.

My work afforded me a life that is very comfortable and more than I would have thought possible when I started out. I’m very grateful for everything work provided.

Another poll I couldn't vote on. Nothing seemed to fit.

I'm only counting/commenting on my full time jobs after my formal school days were completed...

My first job I really liked but I only worked there for about a year... I left it for the same type of work but at double the money.

I absolutely hated my second job, even at twice the pay... I left there in less than a year.

My third job (and a career change) I "easily" loved the most... I worked at it for ~13 years but was forced to leave becasue of US government actions. :mad: It turned out to be a blessing in disguise becasue it forced me to move to my forth job which paid much better and had almost unlimited opportunities. (Which I took advantage of)

My forth job was pretty good until the last few years before retirement. I worked there 25+ years and made my fortune...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom