Poll: Will James Webb Telescope successfully deploy?

Will the James Webb Space Telescope successfully deploy?

• Yes, first time.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • Nope, and too far away to fix.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Not the first time, but we'll figure out a way to get to L2 for a fix

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters
Thanks guys! It looks like a leap forward. Looking forward to the discoveries.

I hope it doesn't need servicing as 1.5 million miles (or was that km?) is a long way. This is some fascinating science and bodes well for future space telescope projects.

I hope it doesn't need servicing as 1.5 million miles (or was that km?) is a long way. This is some fascinating science and bodes well for future space telescope projects.

I love it that NASA built a service door into it, even though it's not currently possible. That's some kind of metaphor!

Attachments

• telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled (2).png
    telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled (2).png
    34.8 KB · Views: 129
That is so cool to see the galaxies 'accidentally' captured in the background. Glad it is working so well.

I didn't vote in the poll, but admittedly I thought there was less than a 50% chance it would work. The unfurling process just seemed too complicated. But I'm glad it's going so well and I'm super impressed by the team at NASA and other organizations responsible for this. Here's to years of great discoveries to come!

It's images like this that make you think there has to be another form of life out there somewhere. A simple star test, and hundreds of galaxies photo bomb it. :)

We are going to see amazing things.

It's images like this that make you think there has to be another form of life out there somewhere. A simple star test, and hundreds of galaxies photo bomb it. :)

No kidding! Just mind blowing!

Prior infrared space telescope Spitzer just had bright spots there, Webb clearly shows galaxies.

No kidding! Just mind blowing!

Prior infrared space telescope Spitzer just had bright spots there, Webb clearly shows galaxies.
Astronomers have been telling us about the trillion+ of galaxies out there. This is impossible to grasp. At least pictures like this show how it is possible.

There will be more focused pictures that will blow our minds. Just wait.

Astronomers have been telling us about the trillion+ of galaxies out there. This is impossible to grasp. At least pictures like this show how it is possible.

There will be more focused pictures that will blow our minds. Just wait.

I'm sure we will learn a lot from this amazing telescope AND we'll end up with even MORE questions than we started with! It's a great time to be alive.

I didn't vote in the poll, but admittedly I thought there was less than a 50% chance it would work. The unfurling process just seemed too complicated. .....
Having spent a career in the automotive world I was always amazed that a guy would hop into a car at the end of the line, turn the key and drive it away hundreds or thousands of times in a row. So many ways for that to not happen.

The poll is still open, so how many people voted after Webb successfully completed all the deployment tasks?

Another milestone reached!

NASA’s Webb In Full Focus, Ready for Instrument Commissioning
Alignment of NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope is now complete. After full review, the observatory has been confirmed to be capable of capturing crisp, well-focused images with each of its four powerful onboard science instruments. Upon completing the seventh and final stage of telescope alignment, the team held a set of key decision meetings and unanimously agreed that Webb is ready to move forward into its next and final series of preparations, known as science instrument commissioning. This process will take about two months before scientific operations begin in the summer.
https://go.nasa.gov/3OJWBD1

^^^^^^^

Yeah! Can't wait for pictures of worlds unknown.

I am interested in this subject. I find it very interesting. I doubt I will live long enough to ever see close ups of another planet orbiting another star, but you never know.

My feeling is the number of galaxies and stars out there is so large, that life elsewhere in the universe seems inevitable.

My feeling is the number of galaxies and stars out there is so large, that life elsewhere in the universe seems inevitable.

It feels that way. But... there are impediments, at least for us. A lot has to go right.

Then again, when you have trillions on trillions of possible tries, it seems inevitable, especially for the lowest forms of life.

If you are into cosmology, I recommend the series on Science Channel called "How the Universe Works."

This topic comes up frequently. In this season's episodes, they covered more than the "habitable zone." For example, a few other things that allow us to be here:
- Our funky large moon, we are a double planet
- Our tides (courtesy moon)
- Iron core (protect us against cosmic rays, keep our atmosphere)
- Specific sequence of planet formation (likely two waves from two different supernovas, second wave provided the water)
- Chaotic reassembly
- Extinction events, bad for the time, good for later times (mammals!)

- And on and on
-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom