Poll: Will James Webb Telescope successfully deploy?

Will the James Webb Space Telescope successfully deploy?

• Yes, first time.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • Nope, and too far away to fix.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Not the first time, but we'll figure out a way to get to L2 for a fix

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters
Well, today's the day! I'm delaying a Costco run until after the pictures come out on youtube
At 10:30 am unless you want to hear the speeches .... 45 minutes of preliminary remarks:confused: Yes, take a victory lap, but 15 minutes would be fine!.

Here is the image released yesterday....:cool:

Zoom in and WOW..

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

^^^^^^^

Yeah, I heard this photo described as showing a star-field the size of a grain of sand held at arm's length. Imagine what is ahead. May the James Webb have a long and glorious life!

:facepalm:...oh they are dragging this out longer than it took to position the thing in space...just show us the pictures already.....:popcorn:

Ohhhh I zoomed in really close and I think I found some proof of alien life..its a little blurry but hey...:cool:

9afd6930-5b13-4328-81f5-0c33e2fabd4a_1.16d29b92f945531e2b66578b8eeb0de1.jpeg

It's kind of funny that the broadcast is having technical difficulties smoothly integrating the presentations from different parts of the world. It's going, but in fits and starts. But the pictures are coming through!

It's kind of funny that the broadcast is having technical difficulties smoothly integrating the presentations from different parts of the world. It's going, but in fits and starts. But the pictures are coming through!

Youtube was having trouble streaming, I switched to the Nasa site, smaller picture but no streaming glitches. Yes, still problems with Nasa going to sites around our tiny, tiny the world. I actually got emotional watching and thinking how huge and full and empty the universe is. Has anyone calculated, how many of that first image would cover the total universe? With 1000s of galaxies with billions of stars each in just that tiny sliver of the sky, awe inspiring.

Gravitational lens effects makes those galaxies look curvy. Einstein once again proven right.

Totally screwed up production! Way too ambitious with trying to switch to remote groups and never seen anything end up so bad.

But the images - wow!

Gravitational lens effects makes those galaxies look curvy. Einstein once again proven right.
I saw the leaked picture earlier and was confused.

The presenters did a good job explaining the gravitational lens. Whew. Now that's cool! I just was poking around the "large" image and the galaxies are never-ending. Really amazing.

NASA's production of this event was technically not good. They need to blow-some-government-dough for skilled free-lance TV producers next time there is such a huge event. Michelle Thaller is very familiar with TV production and she did the best with what she was given... which was not much. Not her fault.

Nerds are doing Hubble/Webb compares and they are dynamite. As some redditors say, NASA should have done this for the presentation. Others say NASA doesn't want to because it is political and could hurt funding.

Remember when Hubble came out, we were blown away. Well, Webb ups it 100x.

Do your own compares here: https://johnedchristensen.github.io/WebbCompare/

Attached a screenshot:

Attachments

• hubwebb.JPG
    hubwebb.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Totally screwed up production! Way too ambitious with trying to switch to remote groups and never seen anything end up so bad.

But the images - wow!

Heh, heh, some of the participants aren't ready for prime time.:cool: Still, very interesting. Just seeing the enthusiasm of several of the participants lets me offer them a lot of grace as scientists called to be TV stars. YMMV

They learned from the mistakes on the Hubble space telescope.

We live in Huntsville, and this place's economy is built upon NASA, missiles, Army Aviation, drones, defensive missile systems, night vision and ICBM systems, etc.

Where can you go to Sunday School and find missile engineers, West Point Colonels and someone with a Masters Degree in Astro Physics in the same room.

I saw the leaked picture earlier and was confused.

The presenters did a good job explaining the gravitational lens. Whew. Now that's cool! I just was poking around the "large" image and the galaxies are never-ending. Really amazing.

NASA's production of this event was technically not good. They need to blow-some-government-dough for skilled free-lance TV producers next time there is such a huge event. Michelle Thaller is very familiar with TV production and she did the best with what she was given... which was not much. Not her fault.

Clearly several things went horribly wrongs, particularly the bandwidth and lack of preparation for latencies.

But gosh, mikes didn’t even get switched off in a timely manner!

But

I wonder why they didn't build the Webb with a covering like the Hubble.

Back
Top Bottom