Prospective FIRE people - don’t delay

This isn't necessarily about ER. A lot of people who OMY have concerns that don't have anything to do with money. In our case my DH has had 2 cardiac surgeries and he came out of it knowing he loves farming and it has nothing to do with money. So at 73 we still farm, we have cut back a little but still farm.

If I was going to tell people one thing it would be do self check to know where you are in life and what you hope the future will hold. We might not get all the time we want.

What you are having OP is a slap in the face from mortality.. nothing pleasant about that. But don't live thinking too much about that outcome.

Thank you all. So far he seems to be improving a bit every day. They had him walking a couple of laps around Cardiac ICU within 24 hours of his surgery. He is still in a lot of pain but they’re telling us the two biggest tubes are coming out tomorrow and they’re causing a lot of the pain.

I am in somewhat of a state of shock. Four days ago, we thought everything was great and we were looking forward to a trip to Hawaii later this month. Now we are just grateful he is alive and have no idea when we can resume traveling and whether we will ever be able to dive together again.

We also had to put our dog down last Saturday so this last week has been pretty rough for me.

Pretty sobering isn't it. Of course we all know we could go in a car accident or something like that anytime, anyplace but when it actually happens its a real gut check.

Those chest tubes are no fun and it's a big deal when they come out. You'll both get your sea legs back eventually but it will take time.

We are all pulling for you, Scuba. Blessings.:flowers:

Those reality slaps can be tough, but they also make us tougher and smarter.

Prayers for a quick recovery of DH.

Carpe Diem!

That is an eye opener, and we never know from day to day. I wish you both many years of travel in retirement.

Prayers for a rapid recovery!! [emoji120]
These things help you focus on what’s really important in life. I hope your travels will continue!

Scuba, I'm sorry to hear about your DH heart attack and the ensuing surgery to fix the clogs. It sounds like he is getting excellent medical care and should make a full (and hopefully fast) recovery.

To your point, in the summer of 2012, at age 55 I had a heart attack, after having gotten a "clean bill of heart health" from a Nuclear Stress test and a 2nd consultation with a top cardiologist at NY Hospital. I had/ have Afib and was obese weight wise and generally in poor health. From the angiogram done, I did not require surgery or stents as the blockage was in a small artery and completely blocked, making it more risky than it was worth to try to unblock it.

Since then, I have lost much weight (am simply overweight now as NO ONE I know fits into NORMAL weight per the charts), I exercise regularly and are on meds to control cholesterol and blood pressure. I am still working at 64 and now plan to retire this year.
None of us know what the future will hold, especially as regards health of ourselves and our families, but your message of living for today and doing what you want/ planned is well taken.

My mantra has become, something I read HERE on one of the forums (sorry for not being able to remember who said it and give them credit)...
" Work is trading time for Money. Eventually you are trading TIME you will never get back for MONEY you will never spend"

All the best to you and your DH for a complete and speedy recovery!

...My message to those of you on the fence about OMY - even if you are in perfect health now, you never know how and when that may change. If you can find a way to make the numbers work, take the leap. I am so glad DH and I retired together 5.5 years ago. You can’t buy time.

+1.

I hope your husband recovers well.

I just found out that the doc who replaced me when I FIREd in 2020 (same age, competitive triathlete) had a stroke in January and another one again this month while rehabilitating at a stroke center. Stunning.

Back
Top Bottom