Pulling the hose around for gas

A good friend pulled into a station and the pump jockey informed her the gas cap was on the other side. She got very huffy (kinda high strung sort), fired up the car, zipped forward, did a fast tight U-turn, and came in on the other side of the pumps. And got informed the cap was still on the wrong side. Gal and I have cherished that scene for decades now...

I can but rarely do fill from the wrong side - just don't like laying the hose on the back window or wrapping it around the corner of the SUV.

I should mention there were gasoline filler access in some models through a hinged taillight lens. And my '65 Vette had the filler cap on top (center) of the rear deck.
I had a couple like these over the years.
th

This thread reminds me of the cars in the 1970s that had the gas cap behind the rear license plate. Turned out it wasn’t so good in rear end crashes, but it obviated the need to worry about which pump was available.
Various cars in the 90's still had those.

You struck a nerve. Our BJs has those signs claiming that the hose can reach either side. People used to back in to get to the right side, but they put up barriers now to prevent that.

The hose is filthy and I have a white vehicle. Even my old truck would look worse with black streaks on it. If you don't line up exactly with the pump, the hose won't reach at all. Even if you get the perfect spot, it barely reaches and you have to keep pulling on it the whole time you're fueling. Being so tight, the handle can scratch the paint if you don't hold it just so the whole time.

Most people at our local BJs just wait in line for the pump on the correct side. Those with a fill on the passenger side are lucky, there's never a wait for those pumps. Sometimes someone will try stretching the hose across. But I suspect very few of them try it twice.

I use the shortest line at Costco.
When pulling the hose around, I use one hand on the nozzle and the other to pull/guide the hose to rest on the car vs slide across the car.
EZ, and no impact to the car's finish.

My big peeve is how long it takes for most folks just to insert their card and hey it approved. The lines are not as long as Costco but still I watch folks finally get their turn and it takes ‘em several minutes to get out of the car and again after they’re done pumping there is a delay before driving off. I use an app on my phone whenever possible.

Not my experience at our local Costco. Folks are fast (including us seniors :)). The Costco also has 2-3 employees patrolling the pumps to help move things along.

…Are people afraid of having to pull that hose around to reach their tank on the other side?

Yup. I’m like you and prefer the pump hose on the left but either is OK. but why not just put the gas tank filler in the center?

Glad not to have to deal with gas stations, pumps, and hoses ever again.

Yeah, if you live in a crowded area and rarely ever go on a road trip then an EV would be great.

Not my experience at our local Costco. Folks are fast (including us seniors :)). The Costco also has 2-3 employees patrolling the pumps to help move things along.

It wouldn’t matter anyway at the Costcos around here. The lines are so long I’d never wait that long to save .02 per gal.

Great point. But it made me consider just how many "cars longer in line" one could wait in line before succumbing to dehydration, sleep deprivation or starvation. A hundred cars? A thousand cars? Thousands of cars? What if DW brought over a sandwich and a bottle of water? So many variables............ I think I'm going to grab a cold brew and sit out in the screenhouse (it's a beautiful afternoon here) and mull this over.

In our situation, one more car might leave you out on Alakwa St. - trying to turn left across traffic to get into Costco Gas. YMMV

I'm retired. I just go at a time I know there won't be much of a line for the pumps. If there is, I stop by another day.

It's often up to 10 cents a gallon cheaper, and I've got the time now, so even a few minutes in line is worth it.

Not just for the money I save but for the message I send. I'm a big believer in capitalism. I vote with my wallet. I don't want to give retailers the idea that they shouldn't compete on price. The BTD attitude only encourages higher pricing.

It wouldn’t matter anyway at the Costcos around here. The lines are so long I’d never wait that long to save .02 per gal.

We have 10 lanes. I never get to empty so I never "have" to get gas - ie, don't even think about going on Sunday afternoons. But my regular time is usually late morning weekdays, never more than 2-3 cars in most lanes, often less than that.

The far most left and right lanes are usually shortest, one for each tank side.

I save about 40c per gallon on average vs. any local place, for maybe a minute longer, but that's offset by the trip to costco anyway.

Just checked gas buddy and from my house to Costco, every other station is at least 30 cents higher.

My nearest station is Kroger. I used to play the points game but unless you load up, points don’t help when you have to have 300 points (30 cents) just to break even. Still, every now and then I’ll play the gift card game (4x points) and get a dollar off at Kroger. Of course I’m only really getting 70 cents off. But, when I fill up my truck that’s still $14 (.7 x 20gal).

Car tip for today: (Surprisingly a lot of folks don't know this)

For those of you who can't remember which side of your car the gas cap is located (or maybe you are in a rental and really don't know) check for this symbol on your dash.

Not sure if EV's have an equivalent icon for where's the plug. But they probably do/should.

gas-cap-indicator-icon.jpg

1 of our cars actually has the gas cap on the opposite side of the dash picture!

^^^^^^
Haven't seen any of those. Not sure what they are trying to indicate.

My local Harris Teeter is best place to get gas. Closer than Costco, no lines ever and up to $1/ gal discount.

Costco is 3 miles away, I am a member and can't recall getting gas there.

The post about cash or credit for gas got me thinking: I nearly always get gas at Costco, where the lines are sometimes quite long. But I'm not afraid to pull up to a pump that's on my right side and pull the hose over to the tank on the left side of my car. I can usually get a pump much faster that way, while others seem to prefer waiting in line for a pump on the tank side of their car.

Are people afraid of having to pull that hose around to reach their tank on the other side?

Our Costco has 12 lanes, 36 slots, so I just wait the 45 seconds for a on side hose lol.

I was raised in Dad’s Shell Service Station when it was only full service. However folks pulled up to the pumps that’s how I filled them, unless the hose wouldn’t reach, then I directed them on what to do so it would reach.

At Costco I have used both sides depending on the lines. I try to go there when it’s not crowded.

I use the shortest line at Costco.
When pulling the hose around, I use one hand on the nozzle and the other to pull/guide the hose to rest on the car vs slide across the car.
EZ, and no impact to the car's finish.

Me also. Use my right hand to hold the hose off the car, and the left hand for the nozzle. Works just fine and no worry about the hose dragging on the car.

When I used to travel for work a lot, and fueling up rental cars, that little indicator on the gas gauge was a help to know which side the gas filler was on.

We have 10 lanes. I never get to empty so I never "have" to get gas - ie, don't even think about going on Sunday afternoons. But my regular time is usually late morning weekdays, never more than 2-3 cars in most lanes, often less than that.

The far most left and right lanes are usually shortest, one for each tank side.

I save about 40c per gallon on average vs. any local place, for maybe a minute longer, but that's offset by the trip to costco anyway.

I’ve notice that the gasoline lines vary by Costco. My Costco rarely has long lines except for just before the morning rush hour or during the evening rush hour. OTOH, there is a Costco about 15 miles from me that has long lines much more often. The out of state Costco I visit when traveling to see relatives has horrible lines, but that’s because of Snow Birds. And the fact that there aren’t many Costcos in the area.

The savings are far more than 2¢ a gallon. And, I usually only buy gas if I am going to Costco, so I don’t have to waste time driving to another station. To each his or her own.

2 cents?? I've never saved less than 30 cents/gallon - usually more - sometimes much more.

2 cents?? I've never saved less than 30 cents/gallon - usually more - sometimes much more.

Yeah, I’ve never seen Costco 30 cents cheaper. The .02 was compared to BJ’s which usually has a short line. Costco right now is the same as BJ’s, .15 MORE than Sam’s, and .20 less than typical stations. WAWA and Royal Farms (convenience chains) have decided not to compete on gas pricing anymore. Maybe if you use premium the price difference is higher. I will say that people around here are nuts about lining up to save a penny or two per gallon…..and then they waste it anyway with excessive idling, using the drive thru, etc.

I do it at Sam's....

Usually you have to park closer to the pump... I have been at the most extreme distance and put the nozzle in facing upward... with no slack...

Unfortunately there is not a Sam's with gas close enough to me to make it a regular stop...
I'm not sure what led to the situation, but I once pulled into a gas station just in time to see a panicked woman on the far side of her car holding a gas hose below the nozzle and gas was spewing full force all over her car and the pumps. I got out of there quickly and didn't look back. :eek:

Yes and no. Yes the DW's Honda and no my 1/2 ton Silverado. Costco in town. And where ever ? when traveling.

Heh heh heh - :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom