Puzzle

Don't waste too much time on this. A little more research into this at This math question meant for 7-year-olds has everyone stumped says

Singapore's Ministry of Education (MOE) later told Mashable that there were in fact no examinations for Primary 1 students.

And the original quiz this was taken from, has a 20 in the lower left corner rather than a 2, and the instructions with it make it very clear that a 2 there makes the puzzle unsolvable.

So there's a false claim that this was on a test for 7 year olds in Singapore, which makes you think there must be a solution that you just don't see. But there's an error, so you'll never solve it even if you do guess the instructions.

More bogus than interesting, IMO.

Don't waste too much time on this. A little more research into this at This math question meant for 7-year-olds has everyone stumped says

And the original quiz this was taken from, has a 20 in the lower left corner rather than a 2, and the instructions with it make it very clear that a 2 there makes the puzzle unsolvable.

So there's a false claim that this was on a test for 7 year olds in Singapore, which makes you think there must be a solution that you just don't see. But there's an error, so you'll never solve it even if you do guess the instructions.

More bogus than interesting, IMO.

RB.......thanks for doing all that research. Even more weird stuff......I looked
at the puzzle from the original Yahoo link and I wrote down 20 in the left hand corner so I swear I saw it but now if I go back to both the links I provided I see a 2 like you said. Anyway, if you want to play with it, put 20 there.

You don't suppose these things can mutate after you've linked them?
I don't understand how I could have written 20 if I hadn't seen it. But I
agree having a 2 there makes it impossible given the rules.

edit to add: now I understand what happened.......I did the puzzle from the bottom of the Yahoo link, not
the one at the top which is missing the instructions as well has having the error in the bottom left quadrant.
Didn't realize they were different. .

Last edited:
It's not an error based on one of the links, the answer is 2, 2, 1, 1 - looking at pattern, not anything to do with math

On of my favorite puzzles:
I have 10 Trees and I want to plant them in 5 rows of 4 each, how do I plant them?
(Hint: There is a real answer but you can't think totally linear)

Answer to the tree puzzle below

SPOILER

Draw a five-pointed star. Plant the trees at the points and at each intersection of the lines.

It's not an error based on one of the links, the answer is 2, 2, 1, 1 - looking at pattern, not anything to do with math

Is this answer to w/ 2 in lower left quadrant? If so, do you understand answer?

Back
Top Bottom