Republic Wireless

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife has had Republic Wireless for Cell service for 6 or 8 years, it works great*, 1GB of data was $24.60, Total cost.
It was recently bought by Dish. The new prices are $29.99 for unlimited service, IF you are a Dish customer and $59.99 if you are not. I was thinking about joining my wife's plan, but I see 2 phones are $59.98 IF you are a Dish customer and $119.98 if you are not. We are not Dish customers.
I think there may be some grandfathered pricing, so she may get a better price, but if I'm added I'm not sure if they will apply. Also not sure high long the grandfathered price will last.
Also they said there will be down time when you upgrade your plan.
Can you list your discount cell phone service provider, RW is no longer a discount provider.

* 4 years ago we had a hurricane my Verizon service was out for 3 months, my wife's RW phone worked the whole time. I ended up getting an AT&T phone to get my through hurricane repairs.

Yea I use Tello, I spend $7/month for more limited talk, unlimited text, and the same GB data.

I also used to use Rebuplic, first it was $10/month for unlimited on wifi, but it was a lot more to have a normal cell connection. Dropped them 8 years ago once I became aware of Tello and a couple other companies like them. This new change would have made me drop them instantly.

Last edited:
I've been a Republic Wireless user for many years. It works for me but my situation is very unique, in that I can't take my phone into the office. Since I don't spend time on the phone, I don't feel like spending money on a new one, and don't need more than 1GB of data every month. The rest of my family is on Mint Mobile, because it's cheaper and offers far more data.

They've grandfathered all of the old users like me into the old pricing, but it seems like the new owner (Dish) wants to divest of this business.

Last edited:
T-mobile over 55 plan grandfathered price. We added DF to it. Unlimited everything

We switched from Republic to Google Fi 6 years ago when we retired and started traveling more. We're very happy with the service.

We are on the flexible plan, which is $20 for the first person and $15 for each additional. Data is $10/G and you pay for exactly what you use, so the price varies. Last month's bill included 1.9G of data and was $53.92 for both of us before taxes. The price would have been exactly the same if we'd traveled and used this much data in a foreign country. They also have unlimited plans without the foreign access, but we just don't use that much data, so for us the flex plan is actually cheaper.

Back when we made the switch, both Republic and Google Fi had special phones that only worked on their systems, so we did have to get new phones. Fi can now use most any phone, including iPhones, but I don't know if that's also true of Republic. If they're still using a proprietary phone, you might need to plan to replace your wife's no matter which carrier she switches to.

Visible wireless. $25/mo. I got it because so far, it has unlimited hotspot data which we use for camping.

If T-Mobile is good in your area, then I also recommend Tello.
I've been with them for 6 years now and currently have a $6 plan but you can customize your plan to fit your needs and change it up or down anytime you want with no fees.
The neat thing is if you renew manually every month you get to rollover your unused data/minutes, it only takes a minute to log into your account and renew or change your plan each month before it auto renews.
Free Unlimited texts with all plans and Free International calling using your plan minutes. Free unlimited hotspot using your data
Their most expensive plan is $29 for unlimited (25GB) everything
https://tello.com/coverage

Last edited:
Red Pocket, $15 per month prepaid for one year. Unlimited voice, unlimited text, 3 GB data. Pick your network, AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile. They have cheaper and more expensive plans, if your needs are different.

I have been also using Tello for multiple years.
I am a fairly low data user (maybe 1GB/month).

At these usage levels I have not seen anything that can compete with Tello.com.

Note I don't think they advertise in traditional media.
-gauss

Red Pocket, $15 per month prepaid for one year. Unlimited voice, unlimited text, 3 GB data. Pick your network, AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile. They have cheaper and more expensive plans, if your needs are different.

DW and I are both on RedPocket. She has same plan as you, but pays $20/mo for the monthly plan. She doesn't want to be locked in for a year. She's on Verizon.

I have an 8GB annual plan on AT&T for $240 ($20/mo). That plan is now 10GB for $22.50. Instead of renewing that annual plan, we're planning to convert to a monthly family plan. It will be $25/mo/phone with 10GB on each line. She can stay on Verizon and I'm switching to T-Mobile for their 5G.

Visible wireless. $25/mo. I got it because so far, it has unlimited hotspot data which we use for camping.

Visible is definitely an attractive option for $25. We also use a TON of data when camping in our van. Visible has no cap, but they throttle 4G to around 10Mbps. Hotspot is throttled to 5Mbps. And video streaming is throttled to 480p, which is the killer for us. And of course, you are always deprioritized vs regular Verizon customers. But still, as you said, the only unlimited hotspot offering that I'm aware of.

For now, we are using a Ford/AT&T in-vehicle hotspot plan. It's $20/mo with a soft cap at 22GB. There's no throttling, but after 22GB you are deprioritized. We pass 22GB every month and still stream video at 720p or better.

Last edited:
Visible is definitely an attractive option for $25. We also use a TON of data when camping in our van. Visible has no cap, but they throttle 4G to around 10Mbps. Hotspot is throttled to 5Mbps. And video streaming is throttled to 480p, which is the killer for us. And of course, you are always deprioritized vs regular Verizon customers. But still, as you said, the only unlimited hotspot offering that I'm aware of.

For now, we are using a Ford/AT&T in-vehicle hotspot plan. It's $20/mo with a soft cap at 22GB. There's no throttling, but after 22GB you are deprioritized. We pass 22GB every month and still stream video at 720p or better.

I have been using Visible for over a year and have never seen it throttled. I know they say it is, but mine is not. I used it for a week at home to feed all our Roku TVs. Used 126GB of data and it was still steady at 40MBps download speed. When camping, we use 15GB a day if it's raining. If it's nice out, we don't use much at all. Last trip it was raining and I had to use my Verizon iphone hotspot which is limited to 25GB. We used that in a day.

Nice thing about Visible is no contract, so you can give it a go and if it doesn't work, just cancel it.

I like Cricket Wireless, which I found out about several years ago from ER Forum member REWahoo.

Unlimited talk and text, and 2 GB data, for $30/month. They use AT&T's cell towers, I think? Anyway I've never had problems connecting.

I set it up so that they take the $30/month out of my checking account automatically (my preference). That includes all tax, fees, and so on. They text me twice, once the day before they take it out and once the day after, but other than that they don't bug me. I like that. :D They do have an office about a mile away from me, so if I need support they are there.

A lot of these other plans described in the post above, sound terrific too! Sounds to me like you really can't go wrong.

I have been using Visible for over a year and have never seen it throttled. I know they say it is, but mine is not. I used it for a week at home to feed all our Roku TVs. Used 126GB of data and it was still steady at 40MBps download speed. When camping, we use 15GB a day if it's raining. If it's nice out, we don't use much at all. Last trip it was raining and I had to use my Verizon iphone hotspot which is limited to 25GB. We used that in a day.

Nice thing about Visible is no contract, so you can give it a go and if it doesn't work, just cancel it.

Maybe your speedtest was on 5G?? 5G is also throttled on Visible but it's very high at 200Mbps. Or maybe you just got lucky.

Either way, 5Mbps is not bad at all for unlimited hotspot. But 480p video streaming will not work for us.

Per the Visible website:

We’re built for life on the go, which means you’ll typically experience 4G LTE* Network download speeds of 5-12Mbps and upload speeds of 2-5Mbps. Video typically streams at a resolution of 480p—nice and crisp on your phone. Also, if you’re on one of our 5G** Networks, speeds will be capped at 200Mbps.

*In times of traffic, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.
**5G will be capped at 200Mbps. 5G currently available on select devices. 5G Ultra Wideband available only in parts of select cities. 5G Nationwide available in 1800+ cities.

My wife has had Republic Wireless for Cell service for 6 or 8 years, it works great*, 1GB of data was $24.60, Total cost.
It was recently bought by Dish. The new prices are $29.99 for unlimited service, IF you are a Dish customer and $59.99 if you are not.

US Mobile is $9 per line plus $2/GB shared data. So for you and your wife it would be $20 + taxes per month. Both lines.

There is another thread dedicated to US Mobile on this forum.

Mint mobile gives you 4 GB data and Unlimited voice, unlimited text, free calling to Canada & Mexico for the same $15.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

I've used them and it works fine, using the T-mobile network.

US Mobile is $9 per line plus $2/GB shared data. So for you and your wife it would be $20 + taxes per month. Both lines.

There is another thread dedicated to US Mobile on this forum.

Plus $2/line monthly service fee...so $24 + taxes/fees per month.

And an extra $5/month per line for hotspot if eligible.

Here's the billing breakdown for my 18GB/month one-line plan w/ hotspot added:

18 GB - $25
Warp - $0
Hotspot - $5
Service fee - $2
Regulatory cost fee - $4.36

Total - $36.36

I used the code they emailed me to get the above free for a month (3 weeks left) while testing coverage.

It's easy to turn off autopay so no surprise billing.

And easy to change plans...changes take effect at the start of your next billing cycle.

e.g. I could drop down to the 5GB/month plan & save over $10 off the above (regulatory fee also drops by about a buck)

Last edited:
Mint mobile gives you 4 GB data and Unlimited voice, unlimited text, free calling to Canada & Mexico for the same $15.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

I've used them and it works fine, using the T-mobile network.

Mint mobile is great if T-Mobile works for you. T-Mobile coverage is poor where I live, I need to stick with Verizon or AT&T.

Have been pleased with Twigby, and have always had a strong signal even in remote areas. They do not have unlimited but do have 10GB which may be more than enough for many and not nearly enough for others. We have the 3GB plan which plenty for us.
https://www.twigby.com/page/howitworks

With all these prepaid secondary carriers available at deep discounts over the big players, it's just a matter of time before there's a huge shakeout in the cell phone carrier industry.

It's not difficult to get a 50% reduction in price and also get more monthly data.

I've been on Republic Wireless for many years, but they're getting kicked to the curb when my annual plan ends in September. With real Republic, your phone worked exactly the same on cell or WiFi. With Dish, they don't deliver SMS or MMS images unless you are on cell. And it's also more of a pain to find out which apps are sucking up cell data. I ran out of data while no WiFi was nearby and their app to buy data required a WiFi connection to display a captcha, so I couldn't log in to buy more data.

My daughter has worked for, and still works for Republic, so I never even shopped cell phone plans (had some inside support, but never really needed it, as Republic help tickets really worked great). Under Dish, it's crap customer service, as can be expected from a cable company. Daughter now works on the Relay product, which is a cell based (but uses specialized devices) technology. No loyalty to Dish.

In September, I'll be checking out my go-to for such decisions: https://clark.com/cell-phones/best-cell-phone-plans-deals/

I have been using Visible for over a year and have never seen it throttled. I know they say it is, but mine is not...

This thread got me thinking more about Visible Wireless for unlimited hotspot while traveling/camping, especially reports of no throttling. So we just activated DW's phone on Visible. She's normally on Verizon via Redpocket. First month with Visible is $5, ongoing is $25. You have to join a party pay group to get that price but it's super-easy to do. You get unlimited voice and text of course. But Visible is about as close as you can get to "true" unlimited 4G/5G data on Verizon.

With most "unlimited" plans, there is a hard cap, after which you are throttled to "2G" speed, which is typically 128Kbps... basically unusable for anything. Visible has no such hard cap. But there are some significant limitations. 4G is always throttled to 12Mbps and 5G is throttled to 200Mbps. On top of that, you can be deprioritized anytime the Verizon network is congested. Also, video streaming is throttled to 480p SD quality. And hotspot is throttled to 5Mbps and limited to one device at a time.

After one full day of testing, these limitations are proving to be problematic. Video streaming on YouTube is usually 240p or 360p (set to auto). That's pretty-much unwatchable. If I set it to 480p, it buffers and stalls continuously. If I set it to 720p, it's just a black screen. So video streaming is a complete bust.

Speed tests on DW's 4G-only phone were 5-6Mbps on average. On a few rare occasions, I got 9-10Mbps. I never saw 12Mbps. On hotspot, speedtests averaged 2-3Mbps. I never saw 5Mbps. With the SIM in my 5G phone, speed tests were 20-50Mbps. Never saw anything close to 200Mbps. Unfortunately, video and hotspot were throttled same as the 4G phone.

This was all done with 2-3 bars of signal strength at the house, which is a bit better than what we typically get when camping. I did one test from the Home Depot parking lot where I had 5 full bars. It was 8Mbps on the 4G phone. So, not much better.

We'll keep testing throughout our $5 first month. Including on some camping trips. I'll keep an open mind. But early testing definitely confirms that throttling is real. And the numbers in their T&C appear to be max or best case. Not real-world, typical speeds.

After one full day of testing, these limitations are proving to be problematic. Video streaming on YouTube is usually 240p or 360p (set to auto). That's pretty-much unwatchable. If I set it to 480p, it buffers and stalls continuously. If I set it to 720p, it's just a black screen. So video streaming is a complete bust.

Wow, that's unacceptable. I guess they put Visible at the bottom of the priority list given the price, but if they throttle to 480p it should just work all the time given the low bandwidth used there.

We're on the Mint 4GB plan and it's about $17/mo. per line with tax/fees included if you pay yearly. No real issues other than random (rare) delays with group MMS text send/receive. I have Android 12 phone, wife is iPhone, seen it on both so it's either a Mint or T-Mo issue, but it's rare enough not to bother too much.

Back
Top Bottom