RMD calc if you are the 10y younger spouse?

thatguy

Recycles dryer sheets
This might be one of those questions that's so simple you can't find an answer. I get it that there's a different table you get the divisor from if your spouse is 10 years younger, but my DW's spouse, me, is 10 years older. What table does she use?
I'm thinking she should use the table for "Your spouse is not 10 years younger".

We're still 5 years from DW's first RMD but I'm working on some simple spreadsheet stuff to try to predict where we're going.

Last edited:
Assuming you two remain married, she'll use the regular table, while you continue using the spouse >10 years younger table.

This might be one of those questions that's so simple you can't find an answer. I get it that there's a different table you get the divisor from if your spouse is 10 years younger, but my DW's spouse, me, is 10 years older. What table does she use?
I'm thinking she should use the table for "Your spouse is not 10 years younger".

We're still 5 years from DW's first RMD but I'm working on some simple spreadsheet stuff to try to predict where we're going.

My take on this is that while BOTH YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE ARE STILL ALIVE, THEN YOUR RMDs would
be determined by either Table II or Table III in IRS Pub 590-B (Appendix B)

From that document:

"Table II (Joint Life and Last Survivor Expectancy). Use Table II if you are the IRA owner and your spouse is both your sole designated beneficiary AND more than 10 years younger than you."

"Table III (Uniform Lifetime). Use Table III if you are the IRA owner and your spouse isn't BOTH the sole designated beneficiary of your IRA AND more than 10 years younger than you."

To me it looks like your DW would use Table III (Uniform Lifetime).

Note I believe Charles Schwaab has decent RMD calculators on their web site too. Might want to make sure you get the same answer in both places.

Note also that I believe the 2022 IRS Pub 590-B referenced above contains the revised values (based on slightly longer life expediencies) of these tables vs prior years

-gauss

Last edited:
My take on this is that while BOTH YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE ARE STILL ALIVE, THEN YOUR RMDs would
be determined by either Table II or Table III in IRS Pub 590-B (Appendix B)

From that document:

"Table II (Joint Life and Last Survivor Expectancy). Use Table II if you are the IRA owner and your spouse is both your sole designated beneficiary AND more than 10 years younger than you."

"Table III (Uniform Lifetime). Use Table III if you are the IRA owner and your spouse isn't BOTH the sole designated beneficiary of your IRA AND more than 10 years younger than you."

To me it looks like your DW would use Table III (Uniform Lifetime).

Note I believe Charles Schwaab has decent RMD calculators on their web site too. Might want to make sure you get the same answer in both places.

Note also that I believe the 2022 IRS Pub 590-B referenced above contains the revised values (based on slightly longer life expediencies) of these tables vs prior years

-gauss

The Schwaab RMD Calculator seems to confirm this.
Had to play around with the calculator to understand what it was doing. It does seem to use table III if I enter birthdays as if I am the 10y younger spouse.

Oh good. Thanks for the confirmation.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom