Something weird is happening

It might be the first signs of Skynet.

I wouldn't say "not worth anybody else's time". The point has been made, the forum owners and technical crew are aware. Not much else to do, let them run with it.

Last edited:
It might be the first signs of Skynet.

I wouldn't say "not worth anybody else's time". The point has been made, the forum owners and technical crew are aware. Not much else to do, let them run with it.

I worked in IT all my life and I know that IT folks trouble-shoot much better with helpful people giving advice from the back seat :D

I worked in IT all my life and I know that IT folks trouble-shoot much better with helpful people giving advice from the back seat :D
I worked in IT all my life and I know that IT folks trouble-shoot much better if they have helpful customers who are willing to work with them to document the kinds of problems they are having.:D

I worked in IT all my life and I know that IT folks trouble-shoot much better if they have helpful customers who are willing to work with them to document the kinds of problems they are having.:D

+1

This forum (and other programs/websites) runs a little differently on each of my three windows computers (XP, windows 7, windows 8), my ipad, and my android phone. Throw in the different browsers and it's like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.

Last edited:

I agree. The suggestion regarding the remember me box is a good one. We recently moved to a new server and it's likely that you may have one of several things going on... You may have some old pages or images cached, you may have a corrupted cookie or be purging cookies at page changes (courtesy of your browser settings).

We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes. Clicking the remember me box sets that cookie. When you are finished with your browsing session even if you don;t log out, the server will sever the connection after a a few minutes of inactivity. When you return it will reconnect.

You can try these things:

Delete your temp internet files
Reboot your device
Click the remember me box when you log back in

If you still have trouble please let me know what browser and version you are using and some details about your security protocols are. :flowers:

I am using both Firefox and Safari on an imac. The symptoms I'm seeing are similar, and possibly identical, on both browsers.

Here are some screen shots of a typical post with a lengthy lag time before it becomes visible. I start out on the portal screen, logged in without the "Remember Me" option, and see that Sarah in SC has just made a new post in the "Schwab offices" thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcc1a21avy1mf9z/Screenshot 2014-01-27 13.37.41.png

Eager to read Sarah's post, I click on the thread and see that the most recent visible post is from mpeirce, not Sarah.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qzb5xi8enokc5r/Screenshot 2014-01-27 13.37.59.png

I continue to click on the thread for the next several minutes, repeatedly seeing the same screen with mpeirce's post as the last post in the thread. Finally my persistence is rewarded. Sarah's post finally becomes visible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4y1433ixrqs3iox/Screenshot 2014-01-27 13.41.58.png

The difference in time stamps between the first screen shot and the last is 13.37.41 (portal screen showing Sarah has posted) and 13.41.58 (Sarah's post finally visible in the thread). That's over a four minute delay.

I suppose that this odd behavior might originate at the ER.org site, but my guess is that it's more likely a page refresh issue on my computer. The symptoms are consistent with my imac repeatedly showing me a cached version of the thread without Sarah's post, followed four minutes later by a page that has finally been refreshed from the server so I can read Sarah's post.

I am using both Firefox and Safari on an imac. The symptoms I'm seeing are similar, and possibly identical, on both browsers.

I am also using Safari and Firefox on an iMac and for me the website is running the way it did prior to the upgrade. I don't see any lag.

Last edited:
I am also using Safari and Firefox on an iMac and the website is running on it the way it did before the upgrade.
Are you using the "Remember Me" option when logging in? I haven't observed any problems when logged in using "Remember Me". It's just when I don't select that option that obvious problems start happening. If you want everyone to start using "Remember Me", so be it. I can certainly get used to clicking on this option every time I log in. But I don't really see the point of continuing to allow people to deselect "Remember Me" when all they get is a web application with so many problems as to be almost unusable.

Are you using the "Remember Me" option when logging in? I haven't observed any problems when logged in using "Remember Me". It's just when I don't select that option that obvious problems start happening. If you want everyone to start using "Remember Me", so be it. I can certainly get used to clicking on this option every time I log in. But I don't really see the point of continuing to allow people to deselect "Remember Me" when all they get is a web application with so many problems as to be almost unusable.

Yes, I use the "Remember Me" option. Always had. I see no good reason not to.

I strongly prefer not using "Remember Me", at least if we could get back to the way it worked before the problems started happening last week. It timed out idle sessions instead of retaining connections as long as the browser window is open. But with all the problems introduced last week, it is no longer worth the hassle.

Yes, I use the "Remember Me" option. Always had. I see no good reason not to.

I have never checked the "Remember Me" box and never had a problem staying logged in until the last several days(not sure exactly how many days). Believe your users, something changed recently. I have not changed computers, browser(Safari) or settings in my browser. For sure, it is a minor annoyance to check the box, but still, something changed on the forum end.

I have worked in or with IT all my working life and know that I hope to retire early so I no longer have to deal with how maddening is nature is.

People keep asking me whether I plan to go to seminary once I retire. Maybe it's time to start taking such suggestions more seriously.

I have never checked the "Remember Me" box and never had a problem staying logged in until the last several days(not sure exactly how many days). Believe your users, something changed recently. I have not changed computers, browser(Safari) or settings in my browser. For sure, it is a minor annoyance to check the box, but still, something changed on the forum end.
+1

Back
Top Bottom