Sport Shooting in Retirement and how you have adapted…

B-Guy - I retired effective 1-Feb-21 and am currently age 63.

I have never shot 1,000 meters / yards ! A long shot in the thick East Texas woods for deer is 100 yards and most times much closer.

Do recommend you get Suppressors.

One thing you might consider for your long range shooting is the Long Shot Target Camera System. We bought this and love it vs using a Spotting Scope.
Do recommend the Long Shot System very much.

gamboolman....

I only target shoot out to 1000 meters. Large game I never shoot over 300 m as TOF is .4 seconds at 300m and a lot can happen anything longer in flight time.

I do shoot suppressed and have for about 3 years. I love it for so many reasons.

I've seen ads for the Long Shot Target Camera System and it looks intriguing. I’ll probably keep using my spotting scope for now as it serves me well. I can see hits 1000m and beyond.

Oh, and it's got a good bit of recoil with just about any bullet weight at max loads. I have a small scar above my right eyebrow to prove it. :)

I've witnessed someone getting kissed before. Now I try to find scopes that have more eye relief.

I think about the day I can't hunt anymore, and it is a depressing thought. I'm about 5 years older than you and won't give it up until I absolutely physically can't do it. It isn't about killing or harvesting an animal it is all about being out there and doing it.

I don't do much if any gun hunting but I'm an archery person. I still pack everything out on my back and sometimes takes 2 or 3 trips on a pack frame. One just needs to adjust to what my body tells me it needs. I will say the high country gets to be a little ore challenging each year.

I wouldn't let a few deficiencies get in the way to do what you love to do. There is always a work around to make it happen. I hope you can continue hunting or shooting at the level you feel you can.

I've witnessed someone getting kissed before. Now I try to find scopes that have more eye relief.

Me too.. Like this one. :)

images

Last edited:
The problem I had with .22 ammo was I was using Remington Xpert ammo. The were not jacketed, and the lead oxidized so badly I could not chamber them.

Are there really nice indoor ranges that allocate time to target shooting? Don't want to be concentrating and squeezing the trigger, just to have you unload 14 rounds from your Browning Hi-Power.

Used to shoot competitive using the attached when I was 16. No longer have an Anschutz Supermatch. It had a tremendous amount of bells and whistles. Although this one has the adjustable Shutzen Buttplate, trigger, cheek and trigger-hand rest, it does not have the adjustable palm rest on the stock rail.

Attachments

• supermatch.png
    supermatch.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
No interest in sport hunting.

When I first retired in 2019 (at age 60), I went to the range regularly. But then the ammunition supply dried up around here for almost 2 whole years after Covid started, so I went once in 2020 and once in 2021. It's getting easier to find ammunition now so I will be starting up regular shooting days again. I prefer to go to the range in the spring and fall.

My main age related problem is eyesight. I shoot only iron sights and find that if I wear my regular classes, I can see the target well, but not the front sight. If I wear my readers, I can see the the front sight just fine, but the target is blurry. Of the two, I prefer seeing the front sight better. As far as recoil, I haven't noticed any problem. And I have always used double hearing protection - both plugs and earmuffs

I shoot a Springfield M1A 7.62x51 mm; a Ruger Mini-14 5.56x45 mm; Colt 1911A1 .45 ACP; and a S&W Model 39 9mm. I also have a 12 gauge Remington 870 Police, but I almost never shoot it. No plastic in my gun safe.

If I could only shoot iron sights, I think I would have to quit when my eyesight starts to change. I haven’t had Issue with red dot sights. I’m assuming most folks can correct their vision through a scope.

Though just retired this summer I took up competitive rifle shooting at 47. Dedicated shooting glasses (Rangers or Decots) helped me a great deal. Depending on what you shoot & how far, bifocals and a special correction for the shooting eye is also helpful, especially for iron sights. If you're lucky enough to shoot on your own land an electronic target system (Google Silver Mountain targets) makes long range shooting much more enjoyable

I think about the day I can't hunt anymore, and it is a depressing thought.

I don't do much if any gun hunting but I'm an archery person. I still pack everything out on my back and sometimes takes 2 or 3 trips on a pack frame. One just needs to adjust to what my body tells me it needs. I will say the high country gets to be a little ore challenging each year.

I wouldn't let a few deficiencies get in the way to do what you love to do. There is always a work around to make it happen. I hope you can continue hunting or shooting at the level you feel you can.

I’m still fairly fit from working around the farm and on the house. I was an archery person until shoulder surgery. My Ortho doc said if I do, I will be seeing him again sooner rather than later. I primarily hunted with a bow until I had shoulder surgery. I also love just being in nature. As soon as you pull the trigger everything in the woods is on guard for some time. Its far more enjoyable to watch when they don’t know you’re there.

I will be out in the woods enjoying nature or on the range until I’m no longer able to, and that is a depressing thought.

I have had the occasional misfire with really old rimfire. Don't recall a CF misfire and most of mine is old or even older.

I sort the brass at the local gun club. I come across 22 LR with strikes but they didn't fire. I assume this is modern ammo. Could be light strike or just poor quality ammo but I don't see much of it. That said, 22 fall through the 9 mm tray so unless I spot them there may well be more than I realize.

I remember in 1972 paying 50 cents for a 50 round box of 22 shorts. Longs were around 65 cents and LR probably 75 cents. Being frugal and not having a lot of money, I always shot shorts. We killed a lot of glass bottles!

I remember in 1972 paying 50 cents for a 50 round box of 22 shorts. Longs were around 65 cents and LR probably 75 cents. Being frugal and not having a lot of money, I always shot shorts. We killed a lot of glass bottles!
I don't recall the prices in 1972 but that sounds reasonable... I do remember being able to buy 22 ammo and shotgun shells at any 7-11 convenience store in that time frame... At least in this part of the country.

I don't recall the prices in 1972 but that sounds reasonable... I do remember being able to buy 22 ammo and shotgun shells at any 7-11 convenience store in that time frame... At least in this part of the country.

I bought my first .22 ammo at our local drug store ca 1960 (not a big chain like CVS) where we got scripts and mom and dad's cigarettes. Now, I'm not certain where I would buy ammo (not that I need any) other than a firearm store. In the 90's, I bought .22s at Walmart. Not any more. YMMV

I really got into sport (target) shooting for the first time in retirement - not competitive, just for fun. The big adjustment for me was in dealing with my terrible eyesight. In my younger days, I used to enjoy shooting with iron sights. For some reason, most pistols still work for me with iron sights; but I found I was having huge problems using iron sights on long guns.

I ended up putting a scope or a red dot on all my rifles except for my Mini-14. For some reason, peep sights still work beautifully, and I love using them. I don't shoot much over 100 yards at the most, so I put red dots on my tactical/short-range rifles, and various magnification scopes on my precision/target rifles.

The other big change was due to the cost/availability of ammo. I used to shoot my .38 Special revolvers and 9mm semis a lot more than I do now. Now I am shooting a lot more .22LR and WMR long guns than before COVID. Initially I switched to rimfire for cost reasons, but I found that it's a ton of fun - extremely accurate, and a lot easier on my hearing and softer on my hands than my centerfire weapons. Now I generally save my centerfire rifles for outdoors, and shoot mostly rimfire rifles and centerfire pistols indoors. I am really loving the CZ457 platform these days.

When I started up about 9 years ago, it was a lot cheaper to shoot and I would shoot 200+ rounds of 9mm/.38 Special twice a week. Now, I shoot half as much - maybe 250 rounds of .22LR and 50 rounds of other stuff once a week, if I'm lucky.

Last edited:
I use to shoot a lot of 45ACP with any one of my 1911’s. There were many times I had a couple 1000 rounds loaded. It didn’t take long to reload them on a progressives press. I only have a few hundred loaded now and I only practice about once a month.

I’ve gone from shooting a lot of pistols to precision long distance rifle. I reload all my own .308 not to save money but to have more consistent performance. I usually purchase 3-4 boxes of brass with the same lot number. Powder I usually buy 2-3 8# jugs, same lot, but for some reason the winter just before covid showed up I had purchased a new rifle and decided to purchased 4, I was fortunate. I did have to cut way back on shooting as I saw the writing on the wall. Still hard to find powder and primers. I get 1200+ rounds out of an 8# jug. I was shooting up to 100 rounds a week before covid, now I’ve cut back to 100 per month or two due to the lack of supplies. The prices have gone crazy. I may have to cut back even more.

Let’s all hope the price comes down and inventory gets back to normal, whether you’re reloading or buying off the shelf.

I’ve gone from shooting a lot of pistols to precision long distance rifle. I reload all my own .308 not to save money but to have more consistent performance

I was shooting up to 100 rounds a week before covid, now I’ve cut back to 100 per month or two due to the lack of supplies.
Shooting that much (100 rounds a week) of 308's, have you burned up (lost accuracy) in many barrels? I know I did with a couple of 7mag's I was shooting a lot some years ago. You can probably get more out of a 308 barrel than I did with a 7mag but 100 rounds a week is a lot for any rifle barrel, if you are trying for top accuracy.

Last edited:
I recently needed to replace the . 22LR ammo because of bullet oxidation. I went to Big5, and navigated around the CA requirements.
I used to reload when I was target shooting, but gave it up when the range closed.

I loaded everything into a plane and flew it down to my son. Most of the stuff (powder and primers) was in a surplus 155mm wooden ammo box, plus .50 cal ammo metal case.

I shoot quite a bit, but not competitively.

I am 57 and over the years I have learned I don't need so much recoil. I shoot light loads when waterfowl hunting. I don't need 3" magnums to hunt ducks over decoys. I gave up my 10 ga. and goose hunting. I just don't like to eat them.

I shoot a .22 often. I use hearing protection now, I never used to.

I hunt with my .300 Win Mag. I have a suppressor ordered, should be here any day. I can live with less recoil and noise.

I still hunt quite a bit. Physically I can still do everything, but I'm more careful. I don't climb stands unless there is someone else in the field with me.

I'm more selective with my shots and it hasn't had any impact on how much I harvest.

Now that I'm FIRED I process my own deer and elk. I have the time. I do a better job than the commercial processors. I cook and eat everything I harvest.

I appreciate better quality optics now. Swarovski binoculars and Leopold (or better) scopes. I have fewer guns now, but better ones.

I consider it a good hunting trip if I fire one shot. I don't need to keep score anymore.

I am going on an African safari in March. My first question was "what happens to the meat?" The PH told me that they have a processing station in camp and every ounce gets processed and provided to the camp and local people. That made me feel better. It's not going to be a physical hunt. I've always wanted to try it once.

I am going on an African safari in March. My first question was "what happens to the meat?" The PH told me that they have a processing station in camp and every ounce gets processed and provided to the camp and local people. That made me feel better. It's not going to be a physical hunt. I've always wanted to try it once.
I wanted to do that in my younger years but not so much anymore. I even had the guns for it. A 300 Weatherby and a 458 Winchester. Those should cover any big game I'd find in Africa. They were a "kick" :) to shoot.

Attachments

• 300 and 458.jpg
    300 and 458.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 8
Shooting that much (100 rounds a week) of 308's, have you burned up (lost accuracy) in many barrels? I know I did with a couple of 7mag's I was shooting a lot some years ago. You can probably get more out of a 308 barrel than I did with a 7mag but 100 rounds a week is a lot for any rifle barrel, if you are trying for top accuracy.

When I said "I was shooting up to 100 rounds a week before covid" that isn't year around. I’m more like a fair-weather shooter. Guess I’m getting soft in my old age. I like to target shoot when the temperature is between 40° F and 70° F. That limits me to spring and fall. The cooler weather cools down the barrel faster and I don't like the heat.

Yes, I do need to re-barrel when the throat erosion gets too great. When I’m out shooting the weakest link is always my shooting ability. I love to shoot, and the chase the elusive perfect round and tight group. Shooting a lot of rounds helps me be and stay better.

I have noticed lately that even drinking coffee makes my groups open up. My biggest frustration is judging wind. .

Typically, I only shoot out 800m as my .308 load goes subsonic about 850m and starts to destabilize. I know if I get a different rifle shoot with a heaver bullet and faster muzzle velocity, I could shoot farther but I don’t want the greater recoil.

If any of you are interested Bryan Litz has a great series of books on long range shooting. He has many videos on YouTube also.

I shoot quite a bit, but not competitively.

I hunt with my .300 Win Mag. I have a suppressor ordered, should be here any day. I can live with less recoil and noise.

I'm more selective with my shots and it hasn't had any impact on how much I harvest.

Now that I'm FIRED I process my own deer and elk. I have the time. I do a better job than the commercial processors. I cook and eat everything I harvest.

You are going to love the suppressor. I ordered mine in 2000 after shoulder surgery to help with recoil. The reduced noise is wonderful for me but also anyone beside me. I want try shooting subsonic but have been watching for the powder I want but haven’t found any yet.

I too process all my own meat both for better quality and I’m a tightwad.

I too process all my own meat both for better quality and I’m a tightwad.

YUP... the only money I ever paid for deer processing... $10 to a local store, she would let you hang your deer in the beer cooler for a week and age..

Anyone else cast your own bullets?

When I’m out shooting the weakest link is always my shooting ability. I love to shoot, and the chase the elusive perfect round and tight group. Shooting a lot of rounds helps me be and stay better.

I have noticed lately that even drinking coffee makes my groups open up. My biggest frustration is judging wind. .
My long range shooting was limited to 300 yards, but mostly 100 yards and with higher muzzle velocities so wind drift wasn't that big of a deal for me.

At one point I was almost fanatically on my reloading techniques for my rifle target loads. I'd only use one type of brass and then fire form them for each rifle. I'd weigh each bullet for consistency, trim cases for exact equal lengths, tumble clean the cases in crushed walnut shells, clean out the primer pockets, then weigh the cases for consistency too. Then I'd use a hand primer seater for consistent seating depth, and of course a digital scale to weigh out each powder charge with a trickle charger (no powder throwers for me for precision rifle target loads) to get it absolute correct. Then use a press to seat the bullets with a steady even pressure... Loading 20 rounds took hours.

All of the above was "after" shooting many rounds/loads of different powders/bullet/primer combinations (and using a chronograph) to find the best base load for each rifle.

Then beach rest shooting techniques is another story.

Last edited:
YUP... the only money I ever paid for deer processing... $10 to a local store, she would let you hang your deer in the beer cooler for a week and age..

Anyone else cast your own bullets?

That was the best $10 you ever spent.

I've never cast bullets. I have a couple boxes of hard cast bullets that were factory made I loaded up for my 45/70 in a couple of different sizes. I loaded a few when I first got it but I really only load copper bullets now. Now they are just collecting dust.

What do you cast your own bullets for?

At one point I was almost fanatically on my reloading techniques...

Then beach rest shooting techniques is another story.

I had a spread sheet that I kept track of all the ballistics and everything else, I had been using for each rifle. I did a bit of Googling to see what others have done to give me ideas to improve mine. I found I guy that had one for sale which did everything I was looking for, so I bought his and love it. The price was more than fair. I have since tweaked it for a few things that were not on his but that was pretty minimal.

Back
Top Bottom