Toenail removal

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I repeatedly injured a big toenail several years ago playing baseball. It had become so grotesque and painful that I had it removed permanently last Friday. I have to go back to the Dr next Wednesday for a recheck. I was probably falsely under the impression it would be mostly healed by then, but thats not going to happen. It still is very tender and continues to drain a lot and I can't even put on my sneaker. This sucks because I can't play softball or go to the gym which are two of my favorite activities. I googled recovery time on these type procedures and was shocked by some of the lengthy recoveries and extended pain people are going through. I am not sure what to think and am wondering if any on here have gone through this and how long it took to heal? I am type 2 diabetic, so that may not help.

Oops, can one of the mods move this to the health subsection. Sorry!

I lost a number of toenails from running years ago, but they always grew back.....and wasn't even very painful. Just blisters under the nail, and then a few weeks later they would fall off. Having one removed completely....would hurt. No advice from me other than what happened to me.

I lost a number of toenails from running years ago, but they always grew back.....and wasn't even very painful. Just blisters under the nail, and then a few weeks later they would fall off. Having one removed completely....would hurt. No advice from me other than what happened to me.

Same here. One thing I know, age slows healing. Had collarbone surgery in October and took 4 months to be deemed healed. When broke other one at 19 (now 63) no surgery and healed in about 6-8 weeks IIRC. NOW, I can't stand the feeling of the titanium plate in there. Not painful, just an awareness. Not worth the $2,000 out of pocket to have it removed though. Ugh.

About 12 years ago, I was awakened in the middle of the night - on Thanksgiving eve! - by intolerable pain in my big toe. (I've suffered 2 miscarriages, so for me to describe pain as "intolerable," it has to be really bad).

I went to the ER, where the Dr. found the entire big-toe nail bed was infected. I'd injured my toe on the treadmill, and ignored the pain as just another exercise ache. The nail had to be removed down to the quick so the infection could be treated. Then I had to keep dressings on the toe while the nailbed healed, and keep those dressings dry, which I accomplished by putting a newspaper bag on my foot while showering. I cut a hole in my running shoes to accommodate the wrapped-up toe, and wore those everywhere, including to work. As healing progressed, I wore soft bedroom slippers with non-slip rubber soles.

It takes a toenail about 3 months to grow out, and mine grew back right on schedule.

Best of luck!

Amethyst

I am not sure what to think and am wondering if any on here have gone through this and how long it took to heal? I am type 2 diabetic, so that may not help.

DW had a couple removed, no fun. I was in the room despite the nurse not wanting me there. She probably didn't want to deal with me passing out during the procedure. Seems like it took a couple of months to recover.

The DR. did know of your diabetic condition?
MRG

I repeatedly injured a big toenail several years ago playing baseball. It had become so grotesque and painful that I had it removed permanently last Friday. I have to go back to the Dr next Wednesday for a recheck. I was probably falsely under the impression it would be mostly healed by then, but thats not going to happen. It still is very tender and continues to drain a lot and I can't even put on my sneaker. This sucks because I can't play softball or go to the gym which are two of my favorite activities. I googled recovery time on these type procedures and was shocked by some of the lengthy recoveries and extended pain people are going through. I am not sure what to think and am wondering if any on here have gone through this and how long it took to heal? I am type 2 diabetic, so that may not help.

I have never had this done, but it sounds awful. So sorry you are going through this and I hope your recovery is as quick and uneventful as possible from here on out.

It takes a toenail about 3 months to grow out, and mine grew back right on schedule.

This procedure removed the nail bed (acid) so the nail won't regrow. I'd lost this toenail several times over the years and it would regrew and was never a big deal. That didn't even stop me from playing ball. This however, dissolves the nail bed so it will never grow back. My nail was also quite deformed from the prior losses and was ingrown back at the nail bed and on the sides:(

The DR. did know of your diabetic condition?
MRG

Yes, Dr knows about the diabetes.

The other forum I visited had so many horror stories it scared the heck out of me, as many of the posters were saying they wish they never had the procedure done, ugh. Hopefully that won't be the case with me, but I just wanted to check here as maybe that other board had too many drama queens:LOL:

Oh - I never heard of removing the bed itself. Yet, without a nail, how will you protect the top of the toe from injury? Is it meant to just scar over, or grow new skin or something?

A.

This procedure removed the nail bed (acid) so the nail won't regrow.

Oh - I never heard of removing the bed itself. Yet, without a nail, how will you protect the top of the toe from injury? Is it meant to just scar over, or grow new skin or something?

A.

I think it just scares over and closes up with skin. They have plastic nails that can protect, but I am not sure if that will be needed, unless someone steps on my toe or I drop a dumbbell on it.

I think it just scares over and closes up with skin. They have plastic nails that can protect, but I am not sure if that will be needed, unless someone steps on my toe or I drop a dumbbell on it.

DW'S just healed and got callous. She really can't do polish on her toenails, but never did before.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
MRG

Back
Top Bottom