Tomorrow Is Not Promised

There is life span and then there is health span. Life may be long, but we also need a long health span to enjoy the fruits of our labors.

I know enough people who died early or were stricken with a life changing disease to know that Time > $$ at this point in life.

There was an article a while back in the Atlantic where the author hoped he’d maintain quality of life to age 75, then die suddenly. The age isn’t the point, but the objective is good.

I remember reading that and being very intrigued by the idea. IIRC, he mentioned that if he developed cancer or some other potentially fatal disease after 75, he would not seek out aggressive treatment. I think there is some merit to that idea, but 75 seems fairly arbitrary and I could easily see myself wanting more years if I were otherwise in fairly good health. IME, there is a big difference between 75 and 85, with most people I've known having a fairly good quality of life at 75 and a pretty bad quality of life at 85.

+1. I’m interested in how many quality years I have, not how many I have after, frankly fewer would be better.

My Mom started down the dementia path at age 92 but passed away in her sleep about 9 months later. My Dad lived to 96 but he wasn’t happy the last few years. He wasn’t allowed to drive anymore, couldn’t hear, couldn’t taste, missed his mate. Neither of my parents were happy they lived so long…

There was an article a while back in the Atlantic where the author hoped he’d maintain quality of life to age 75, then die suddenly. The age isn’t the point, but the objective is good.

I don’t put any stock in these life is short, I know someone who died young threads. It happens, but most of us will live long lives and have to plan accordingly. You can’t plan to die young, so it’s anecdotal.

I remember reading that and being very intrigued by the idea. IIRC, he mentioned that if he developed cancer or some other potentially fatal disease after 75, he would not seek out aggressive treatment. I think there is some merit to that idea, but 75 seems fairly arbitrary and I could easily see myself wanting more years if I were otherwise in fairly good health. IME, there is a big difference between 75 and 85, with most people I've known having a fairly good quality of life at 75 and a pretty bad quality of life at 85.

Yes, I found that article intriguing, too. Here is the link to it: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

From my POV, it doesn't matter how much time remains on my life clock, what does matter to me is in that remaining time, that I'm able to physically do for myself, and retain mental competency. Dependence on either from someone else is just not for me.

+2. Every time that I’ve been temporarily laid up has not gone well. I got frustrated not being able to do what I was used to doing. I do not want to get to the point where I can’t do (almost) everything that I used to do. So far I’m doing everything I used to do except work.

Golfing in a league .... chatting .... connecting. My opponent explains his plan to retire:

"I am doing a young man's job. I am going to SELL my security business to a young buck. Carry the note on the sale and RETIRE. But first I have finish the contracts I have."

4 months later he falls off a roof and dies on his way to the hospital.

Golfing in a league .... chatting .... connecting. My opponent explains his plan to retire:

"I am doing a young man's job. I am going to SELL my security business to a young buck. Carry the note on the sale and RETIRE. But first I have finish the contracts I have."

4 months later he falls off a roof and dies on his way to the hospital.

Unreal! That’s why I said in my post, I want to try to be healthy and LUCKY (emphasis on the lucky)!

I am 85. and DW will be 80 in December. Other than a fractured vertebra I did 2 years ago, I am in pretty good health.
My dad lived to 92, and my mom lived to 102. Taking the average, I think I am good to 97.
At our age we have lost so many it is hard to keep track.

We had a 57 year class reunion a few months ago that included a memorial video of classmate pictures. I was surprised with the number of classmates now gone. Too many to be so young.

Cheers!

One of the major disadvantages to a long life is losing so many friends and family. I'm "only" 76, but our HS class has lost over 20% of its members. It seems just a year ago I graduated. Where does the time go.

"Life is a vapor."

delete

Last edited:
delete

Last edited:
This is the primary reason why I retired 12 years ago at age 58.

I wanted more tomorrows. More tomorrows with good health.

Longevity in my family will not help if I get hit by a bus.

As Jimmy Johnson said. it's not how long you have left. but the QTL, Quality Time left that matters. Carpe Diem makes sense.

No one gets out alive, enjoy every day as if it's your last as one day, it will be.

As a Christian, life is eternal for everyone. Where you spend eternity is the question. But I can’t imagine the hopelessness of thinking this is it. I’m grateful for knowledge that my best life is yet to come.

Had a fellow employee reach his 65th birthday on Christmas Eve, 1985. He also chose to retire on that day, after 40+ years with the company. He died of a heart attack that night. He didn't get one day of retirement. The event made me determined to retire in my 50's.

Sounds like my progression, only I'm only at the 60 mark, starting to wonder why I'm running WD plans thru age 90. Like seriously, what are the chances when family history implies 85 max (and that's for the women no less, the men never make it that far). But, I suppose I'll want to be able to afford a new robot body when those become widely available.

You sound like me. I’m 58 and I run WD plans thru 90 or longer. It keeps me up at night. But dad died at 86. And wasn’t great the last 5 years. What the heck am I thinking anyways!

Perhaps truly the only reality is here and now, and if we can fully realize it, we will comprehend what happens when we die, and then not be afraid or sad about losing others or passing ourselves, because when we die it'll still be now.

For a few years, I provided private flute lessons. Mostly for three students. They all achieved beyond what they would have without the lessons. One of the students moved to Thailand to teach and has not returned. Another went on to medical school. I did not keep track of her.

The third started out with beautiful tone but no sense of rhythm. After four years, she was high school drum major. A rhythm guru. She and I performed a duet together in her senior year. She was drum major for all for years of college. She returned locally and by age 26 she was a bank branch manager.

In 2022, she collapsed and died at work of a brain aneurysm at age 27.

To this day, I cry thinking of the loss of her talent and joy in life.

Find joy in every day that you wake up, alive and well.

This is the primary reason why I retired 12 years ago at age 58.

I wanted more tomorrows. More tomorrows with good health.

Longevity in my family will not help if I get hit by a bus.

Heh, heh, look both ways, brett. Look both ways!:cool:

Growing up in a tough area, I was sadly exposed to a lot of "tomorrow is not promised" situations. On our way to a pediatric appointment when I was around 7, we got the word that my pediatrician - who I can remember as being a friendly man - was murdered in his office a few hours before. Instead of an appointment we watched his body being carried out of his office building. Enough things happened that my main desire was to make it 21, and anything after that would be gravy.

I had good friends at my first Megacorp office, a husband and wife, that we spent a lot of time with. The husband I played a lot of various sports with, he was a very good athlete. One day on the way to lunch with a group of folks he goes back to his desk because he forgot something. He gets back on the elevator, has a heart attack, and is found lying on the floor when it reaches the ground floor. They were not able to revive him. Gone at 32.

In the past year, a friend we spoke to just before she left on a vacation with her husband, one that she was looking forward to. While on vacation, they go to sleep - and in the morning she does not wake up. 58 years old, visually in good physical shape (regularly practiced yoga). Then another friend, 75, who loved sports, we hung out a lot and went to a few baseball and football games together seemed fit, healthy and active just before we left for France in May. After we left he began feeling tired, was diagnosed the day after we returned with cancer in multiple locations, and died about 3 weeks later.

Many lessons that have taught me to enjoy each day. From a retirement perspective it has made so so grateful to have had 5 years of a quality retirement with good health, with only one potential scare so far that turned out to be nothing.

Growing up in a tough area, I was sadly exposed to a lot of "tomorrow is not promised" situations. On our way to a pediatric appointment when I was around 7, we got the word that my pediatrician - who I can remember as being a friendly man - was murdered in his office a few hours before. Instead of an appointment we watched his body being carried out of his office building. Enough things happened that my main desire was to make it 21, and anything after that would be gravy.

I had good friends at my first Megacorp office, a husband and wife, that we spent a lot of time with. The husband I played a lot of various sports with, he was a very good athlete. One day on the way to lunch with a group of folks he goes back to his desk because he forgot something. He gets back on the elevator, has a heart attack, and is found lying on the floor when it reaches the ground floor. They were not able to revive him. Gone at 32.

In the past year, a friend we spoke to just before she left on a vacation with her husband, one that she was looking forward to. While on vacation, they go to sleep - and in the morning she does not wake up. 58 years old, visually in good physical shape (regularly practiced yoga). Then another friend, 75, who loved sports, we hung out a lot and went to a few baseball and football games together seemed fit, healthy and active just before we left for France in May. After we left he began feeling tired, was diagnosed the day after we returned with cancer in multiple locations, and died about 3 weeks later.

Many lessons that have taught me to enjoy each day. From a retirement perspective it has made so so grateful to have had 5 years of a quality retirement with good health, with only one potential scare so far that turned out to be nothing.

So many stories like this when you reach my age. The toughest one was my little sister who passed at 40 of cancer. You can't prepare yourself for such things so you have to simply live your life to the fullest and maybe even make your life count.

When people express how they'd like to live to <ripe old age>, it occurs to me how much they must enjoy life! I eat healthy, exercise a lot, etc. but have struggled with mental (and physical) issues my whole life. Thoughts like "I really hope I make it to 80" do not pass through my head. Maybe I just need therapy.

This thread really speaks to me. I'm considering quitting my job though by most calculators I don't have enough saved for my expected lifespan, would have to move to some LCOL after 60. I plan to spend freely on the things I've wanted my whole life in the next 10 years, not to mention actually spending a meaningful amount of time with my kids while they still adore me (they treasure every hour they get with me so much at this age, why would I really trade time with them now for an extra few years of work income??)

I'll let my 60 year old self figure out how to handle life without a big retirement fund, and live my life for now. I mean I spent 40+ years working for other people and my future self, isn't that long enough? (Note: I know this is first world problems)

Here's one that always sticks with me... at the local high school in our town, there were a couple of teachers who were married and had been teaching at that school for decades. They were quite popular and when they announced their joint retirement a few years ago it was bittersweet as they were "fixtures" in the school and in the community.

They had long looked forward to hitting the road in their new RV and exploring the country. On their very first trip after retirement - maybe just a week after their last school year ended, they were killed in a highway accident just 30 miles from the HS they taught at. Not their fault apparently as a massive double tractor-trailer rig crossed the median and hit them head-on.

I think the school community was really hurting for a while after that incident.

So sad.

Here's one that always sticks with me... at the local high school in our town, there were a couple of teachers who were married and had been teaching at that school for decades. They were quite popular and when they announced their joint retirement a few years ago it was bittersweet as they were "fixtures" in the school and in the community.

They had long looked forward to hitting the road in their new RV and exploring the country. On their very first trip after retirement - maybe just a week after their last school year ended, they were killed in a highway accident just 30 miles from the HS they taught at. Not their fault apparently as a massive double tractor-trailer rig crossed the median and hit them head-on.

I think the school community was really hurting for a while after that incident.

So sad.

I would think that would be almost crippling for the school. I hope there were councilors available for those needing it. I recall seeing students cry when we lost a long-service teacher who (as you mentioned) was beloved by the student body.

Such experiences do remind us how fragile life is.

This fact of life has again Raised its ugly head. An acquaintance who was a Fire Fighter, retired @ 58 last year to enjoy life, lost his in a single car crash on Wednesday.

OP here. Just got word that the classmate of mine from grade school who was on hospice passed away today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom