Truisms

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Truism: an undoubted or self-evident truth; especially one too obvious for mention.

Quote your fav or make up your own.

From one of my favorite pontificators of wisdom:

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....But then I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

Submarines & navigation: "Wherever you go, [-]you're in the way[/-] there you are."

My other favorite truism is: "Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark"...

How about:

It is what it is.

I could be wrong.

Your mileage may vary.

Nobody gets out of here alive. (not to be confused with death and taxes)

Inside every silver lining - there's a dark cloud. (apologies to George Carlin in "Take Offs and Put Ons")

Truisms are in the mind of the beholder of course. Here are just a few of my favorites chosen at random. Complete list attached (11 pages, I've been collecting them all my life)...

·You are only wealthy if you have something that money cannot buy. Garth Brooks
·If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything. Allyson Jones
·The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. A. Einstein
·This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Emerson
·You never learn anything with your mouth open.
·When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If you’re going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce.
·A successful marriage depends on two things: 1) finding the right person and 2) being the right person.

Attachments

• Quotes.doc
    99.5 KB · Views: 15
"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -- Will Rogers (popular variant)

Actual quote: "There is no credit to being a comedian, when you have the whole Government working for you. All you have to do is report the facts. I don't even have to exaggerate."

My Fav's are:

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig.

So many bad drivers. So few bullets.

Never wrestle with a pig. You'll get dirty, and the pig will enjoy it.

A.

My favorites are the funny ones, that fall into the category of Paraprosdokian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like: "If I am reading this graph correctly — I'd be very surprised." (Stephen Colbert)

And a few others:

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Or for many of us: I thought I wanted a career; turns out I just wanted pay checks.

"I would rather die with money than live without it"...

"Risk is the price you pay for opportunity"...

"A man’s got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry (I think)

Never trust a dog to guard your dinner plate.

"Everybody has to be someplace."

"Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

"I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work or get married."

Financial math has taught me that 1+1= 1 using sufficiently small values of 1.
Also 1+1=3 for sufficiently large values of 1.

You will never again be younger than you are today.

Today is the oldest you have ever been.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity

The engineer breaks a large problem into many small problems, each of which he can solve. The bureaucrat rolls many small problems together into one large problem which no one can solve.

Engineering is the implementation of science. Politics is the implementation of faith.

The world will only end once. All other downturns are merely buying opportunities.

A stupid idea looks exactly like a brilliant idea, right up until the moment that it fails.

Nephew on his divorce: "I wanted a marriage; all she wanted was a wedding."

Coworker while discussing all the weather related traffic chaos in Seattle this past week: "Physics never takes a holiday"

DD

Back
Top Bottom