Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

YouTube TV is $65 per month. Question was about how do you get local channels without paying $50+ per month.

I don't think there is a way to get all local channels without paying $50+ per month.

If you get Paramount+ for $4.99 per month you will get the local CBS affiliate station. Same thing with Peacock and will get the NBC affiliate. Not sure how you get the PBS, ABC, and the FOX affiliates without a $50+ monthly service like YouTube or Hulu.

PBS Passport is $5/month

ShokWaveRider, doesn't "local channels" imply those that can be received via OTA? I am confused. I am in the Chicago burbs and get over 90 "local channels" via an antenna in my garage attic, I get that some locations are not as well served via an OTA antenna. I wonder what "local channels" are for these services who charge for the streaming.

I don’t care about local channels. We don’t have a local PBS station anymore anyway. We gave up on our antenna once streaming was well established because on demand watching is much preferred anyway.

But PBS streaming is great, and I’m configured to one of the Central TX PBS stations.

Recently broadcast PBS content is free via their app. If you want access to their entire library then membership is required - $5 a month or $60 a year.

Last edited:
You have a unique cable company if you can get all that for $65. It actually comes to $73 in the Orlando area with state and local sales and telecom taxes. We have T-Mobile internet for $50. I think Spectrum would be $70. And our indoor digital antenna brings us about 9 PBS channels and lots of other stations including all the locals.

You have a unique cable company if you can get all that for $65. It actually comes to $73 in the Orlando area with state and local sales and telecom taxes. We have T-Mobile internet for $50. I think Spectrum would be $70. And our indoor digital antenna brings us about 9 PBS channels and lots of other stations including all the locals.

Here is St. Augustine. Local cable channels are a $20 option + Broadcast Fees. Yes, expensive if you want sports, but we do not watch sports. 800 mbps is $70 -$30 ACP rebate = $40.

Last edited:
What do Cord cutters do for live local channels and PBS without paying $50 + for Streaming services that have them? The streaming services that have them like Sling etc. are as much as cable.

Note, they are not available OTA in our area.
PBS has a free app for the live broadcast.
Have you tried buying a cheap digital indoor antenna and taping it to a window and then scanning your TV to see if it picks anything. You could also check Walmart for one and then return it if does not pick up anything. Everytime you move it looking for a signal you need to rescan again. I picked my flat black one up on Amazon for $25 a couple of years ago and they work great at least for me. Also check with your neighbors to see if anyone else is using one. What zip code are you in?

Have you tried buying a cheap digital indoor antenna and taping it to a window and then scanning your TV to see if it picks anything. You could also check Walmart for one and then return it if does not pick up anything. Everytime you move it looking for a signal you need to rescan again. I picked my flat black one up on Amazon for $25 a couple of years ago and they work great at least for me. Also check with your neighbors to see if anyone else is using one. What zip code are you in?

Yep, none work. It picks up rubbish channels and JAX, we are ~70 miles from the main TX. I even tried putting it in the attic. I know about the PBS app. DW unfortunately likes Jeopardy, I like local news and weather.

Here is St. Augustine. Local cable channels are a $20 option + Broadcast Fees. Yes, expensive if you want sports, but we do not watch sports. 800 mbps is $70 -$30 ACP rebate = $40.

It sounds like the cheapest cable channel package available is your only option.

The irony is that if you pay for cable it will allow you to sign into the ABC, FOX, and many other streaming apps using your cable TV account password.

That’s a very nice app “PBS Video”.

Around here, it provides the local (live) feed, UNC-TV. If your antenna can get them you also get 3 subchannels OTA. If you make a $60/yr donation you can get Passport programming through the app. I think it’s worth the money to support PBS. It hasn’t been around forever although it seems so.

Last edited:
You don't need OVA PBS or even a local PBS station. You sign up for PBS passport and link to whichever PBS station you need and then view the PBS shows with your Roku.

You don't need OVA PBS or even a local PBS station. You sign up for PBS passport and link to whichever PBS station you need and then view the PBS shows with your Roku.
You don't need a Passport subscription to use the PBS live broadcast streaming app - you will get every show as it airs. You only need Passport if you want access to all on demand content and their back catalog, on demand available for free is fairly limited.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 12.15.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 12.15.22 PM.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 26
It sounds like the cheapest cable channel package available is your only option.

Yep, this is what I was going to suggest. You'd have to call and specifically request the most bare-bones "locals only" package, because they typically wouldn't advertise this or make it available via online sign-up. My DF has this package from Comcast here in metro Atlanta, and I think it runs just under $50/month.

Pretty cool, right?

Over the air broadcast is true 1080p and not 1080i. Also, the surround sound digital signal is not compressed.

Most local OTA HD broadcasts are still either 720p or 1080i. 1080p is only available using ATSC 3.0 which is still being rolled out and not supported by older TVs.

That being said, OTA broadcasts are usually much higher quality than the same channel on cable because cable takes the original signal (already somewhat compressed) and REALLY compress it to be able to deliver the plethora of channels that cable offers.

Last edited:
DW unfortunately likes Jeopardy, I like local news and weather.
Try NewsOn and VUit apps to see which of your local stations has their news on it. I get mine over the air but sometimes use it for other areas or repeats. Its Free. Roku and the others have it I think.

Most local OTA HD broadcasts are still either 720p or 1080i. 1080p is only available using ATSC 3.0 which is still being rolled out and not supported by older TVs.

Oops. Yes, you're right.

That being said, OTA broadcasts are usually much higher quality than the same channel on cable because cable takes the original signal (already somewhat compressed) and REALLY compress it to be able to deliver the plethora of channels that cable offers.

OK, that explains the difference. Thanks.

We've seen that difference between AT&T U-verse and OTA for our local channels. Just a better picture if the antenna can maintain a solid signal.

Funny thing, one of my biggest worries when we get around to cutting the cord soon is having the streaming TV service's video break up. I read enough horror stories from several years back to keep this in the back of my mind.

In recent weeks, we've seen just that with U-verse, whether live or DVR recordings (more like digital artifacts). You would think a TV signal coming over 1GB fiber wouldn't have that problem, but U-verse really messes up many channels.

My annual subscription to Disney+ expires in March (with a significant increase in premium), and my promo subscription to HBO Max expires next week, so I am on the alert for any good streaming deals.

Well, I cut the cable. Now I could use some advice. [emoji16]

Is there any streaming add on device that can integrate the OTA signal into its menu or guide. Currently we have a Fire stick we use for Prime video & some of my favorite apps. We’ve been watching FreeVee some for other stuff. Our Samsung tv seems to have kidnapped up into “Samsung TV plus”. It seems to be a pretty sucky interface and for the life of me, I haven’t been able to figure out how I can get rid of it.

A friend has a Roku TV that he says,has a simple menu that integrates OTA with other programs very well. The add on Roku devices make no mention of being able to do this.

Any suggestions? I would not rule out a new TV it that makes things more streamlined.

TIA!
Murf

We have a Fire TV Recast that we use for our OTA viewing. I installed it in the attic where the antenna is located. It is connected to our home wifi, as are Fire TV Sticks on each of our 4 tvs in the house. So all 4 tvs use the Fire TV remote to turn on, adjust volume, access either live TV or recorded OTA shows from the Fire TV Recast, and do streaming. The Fire TV Recast includes a built in channel guide that covers all of your OTA stations at no charge and you can watch live or recorded content.

The nice thing is that I didn't need to run coax from the attic antenna to each of our 4 tvs because the Recast "broadcasts" to each of our 4 tvs using our home wifi so any tv with a firestick within wifi range will work.

The best thing is that if I'm watching a show in the living room and want to go to the garage I can just record the show if it is live and turn off the living room tv, walk to the garage and turn on that tv and go to the recorded show and pick up where I left off. Ditto for recorded shows... just pause the recording and restart it on the other tv. Easy peasy.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-fire-tv-recast,review-5944.html

The one thing to know is the Amazon stopped selling the Fire TV Recast but you can find them used on Ebay. Amazon will continue suporting it through 2026. I like it because it is extremely simple to use and there are not charges for program guides. We'll keep it for as long as it continues to work.

Back
Top Bottom