Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

We have a Fire TV Recast that we use for our OTA viewing. I installed it in the attic where the antenna is located. It is connected to our home wifi, as are Fire TV Sticks on each of our 4 tvs in the house. So all 4 tvs use the Fire TV remote to turn on, adjust volume, access either live TV or recorded OTA shows from the Fire TV Recast, and do streaming. The Fire TV Recast includes a built in channel guide that covers all of your OTA stations at no charge and you can watch live or recorded content.

The nice thing is that I didn't need to run coax from the attic antenna to each of our 4 tvs because the Recast "broadcasts" to each of our 4 tvs using our home wifi so any tv with a firestick within wifi range will work.

Thanks pb4usku! I believe that is more like what I‘be been looking for!

ETA, Looks good. The biggest downside is that they’re discoing it and will only support it for 3 years. Figures

Murf

Last edited:
^^^ There are other OTA DVRs available, but IIRC there is a small monthly charge for the channel guide. We bought the Recast because we were already a Fire TV household and have Fire TV sticks for each tv so the Recast and the channel guide was free. Also, it was still being sold by Amazon at the time, so it was easy.

We have a Fire TV Recast that we use for our OTA viewing. I installed it in the attic where the antenna is located. It is connected to our home wifi, as are Fire TV Sticks on each of our 4 tvs in the house. So all 4 tvs use the Fire TV remote to turn on, adjust volume, access either live TV or recorded OTA shows from the Fire TV Recast, and do streaming. The Fire TV Recast includes a built in channel guide that covers all of your OTA stations at no charge and you can watch live or recorded content.

The one thing to know is the Amazon stopped selling the Fire TV Recast but you can find them used on Ebay. Amazon will continue suporting it through 2026. I like it because it is extremely simple to use and there are not charges for program guides. We'll keep it for as long as it continues to work.

same for us!

I had read that Peacock Premium wasn't going to be free for Comcast internet users long term, but it still is to this point.

At this point, still being a full time employee in a single person household, I can't justify paying for any of this streaming. There's plenty of free stuff, plus I have my antenna and computer based DVR system for that.

Noticed my Comcast bill now says:

Peacock Premium ($4.99 value) Included in your Xfinity plan until June 26, 2023.

So I'll lose my Peacock in 4 months. I don't use it enough to justify paying anything for it.

Noticed my Comcast bill now says:

Peacock Premium ($4.99 value) Included in your Xfinity plan until June 26, 2023.

So I'll lose my Peacock in 4 months. I don't use it enough to justify paying anything for it.

I noticed that too. Unfortunately (pocket-book-wise), DW says there are things she watches through that, so I'll be adding $5 to the streaming bill.

I seem to be able to find 100x more free stuff to watch than I ever would have time for (mainly youtube informative videos, not really a movie/TV person) that my OTA and maybe one service would be enough. But it's still not bad, as long as she's actually using it, I won't mind paying the bill (too much - still pretty frugal at heart).

-ERD50

It's being reported that Dish & Sling TV have been hacked. Not sure of the extent, but changing your passwords seems prudent.

For families such as ourselves who were looking to cut the cord to move to Sling TV, this is disconcerting. Doing an online search, this doesn't appear to be the first time this has happened to Sling TV. Sadly, no other online service (other than AT&T's mid-level streaming service and Dish!) offers the 10-12 channels DW would like to have. I believe a combination of YouTube TV and Philo (along with their Movies & More add-on) will do it, but at a cost of $32/mo more than Sling TV (plus Total TV).

Just shoot me now.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/dish-sling-tv-confirms-it-suffered-a-cyber-security-breach/

Last edited:
It's being reported that Dish & Sling TV have been hacked. Not sure of the extent, but changing your passwords seems prudent.

For families such as ourselves who were looking to cut the cord to move to Sling TV, this is disconcerting. Doing an online search, this doesn't appear to be the first time this has happened to Sling TV. Sadly, no other online service (other than AT&T's mid-level streaming service and Dish!) offers the 10-12 channels DW would like to have.

Just shoot me now.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/dish-sling-tv-confirms-it-suffered-a-cyber-security-breach/

Just freeze your credit and relax. Watch your CC for fraudulent use over the next few months.

You should be or are probably doing this anyway, so you will be fine.

Just freeze your credit and relax. Watch your CC for fraudulent use over the next few months.

You should be or are probably doing this anyway, so you will be fine.
Fortunately, we haven't made the jump to Sling yet. We were looking to do it this week, so now I hesitate. Apparently, their website is slow and customer service limited at the moment.

It's being reported that Dish & Sling TV have been hacked. ... For families such as ourselves who were looking to cut the cord to move to Sling TV, this is disconcerting.

I am unsure what the concern is. If your Password is unique to Sling, the only thing that can be done is someone could login and watch on your dime. Or change the password and lock you out... but that could be easily reversed.

Yeah, the hacker could get your email address, but everybody already has that.

Again, a unique password is the key... or one used with other sites that require nothing more than a name and password.

Yes, Sling requires a Credit card number (or other account) but the bank's security requirements would stop any attempt to use the card without your permission.

If someone is considering Sling, they should call Sling's Customer Support Line at 888 363 1777 or 888 309 0838 to get a taste of their offering. The same recording has been playing for at least 6 days.
I have been unable to load Sling via our FireSticks and cannot get help. According to their error code it's a network issue but the network is allowing computer access to Sling. We can't use the FireSticks to watch on TV. Amazon also unable to help and could not reach Sling's support personnel either.

^^ It's not uncommon for most companies these days to (subtly or not) discourage phone support in favor of websites, email, FAQs, bots and chat. Phone support is relatively expensive, and everyone wants lower prices, but they still expect personal service...

I am unsure what the concern is. If your Password is unique to Sling, the only thing that can be done is someone could login and watch on your dime. Or change the password and lock you out... but that could be easily reversed.

Yeah, the hacker could get your email address, but everybody already has that.

Again, a unique password is the key... or one used with other sites that require nothing more than a name and password.

Yes, Sling requires a Credit card number (or other account) but the bank's security requirements would stop any attempt to use the card without your permission.

+1

Always, always, ALWAYS use long, unique passwords for every online service. Never use the same password at multiple sites. Uniqueness is far more important than changing one's passwords frequently.

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Paramount+ has a promotion going right now where you can get one month free (including Showtime). I signed up yesterday. The coupon code is ALLNEW23. Works for both new and returning subscribers. NOTE: I think this promo ends today, so hurry if you want it to grab it!

^^ It's not uncommon for most companies these days to (subtly or not) discourage phone support in favor of websites, email, FAQs, bots and chat. Phone support is relatively expensive, and everyone wants lower prices, but they still expect personal service...
Sling's website allows you to submit feedback but there is no support option. One time I got a message on their phone recording suggesting that I seek support on Twitter. I don't tweet.
YouTube TV, here I come. Cheaper is good but only if it works reliably.

I have been unable to load Sling via our FireSticks and cannot get help. According to their error code it's a network issue but the network is allowing computer access to Sling.

I have no problem accessing Sling TV. I can watch on ROKU, Shield, FireTV Cube, and on my computer -- although, surprisingly not with MS Edge, only with Chrome. I don't have the Sling App on my phone but suspect there would be no problem there either.

Am I missing something?

Not sure if this was discussed on this thread before. What about ATSC 3.0, aka NextGen TV?

I came across a youtube video yesterday where "The Antenna Man" (that's what he goes by) was reviewing a NextGen TV receiver. Seems the tech is still new and a bit costly at the moment. But what stood out to me in the video is better OTA reception.

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Paramount+ has a promotion going right now where you can get one month free (including Showtime). I signed up yesterday. The coupon code is ALLNEW23. Works for both new and returning subscribers. NOTE: I think this promo ends today, so hurry if you want it to grab it!

Paramount has the most liberal free trial in the business. Sign up, cancel, rinse, repeat. I didn't even have to change email addresses or credit cards last time.

Not sure if this was discussed on this thread before. What about ATSC 3.0, aka NextGen TV?

I came across a youtube video yesterday where "The Antenna Man" (that's what he goes by) was reviewing a NextGen TV receiver. Seems the tech is still new and a bit costly at the moment. But what stood out to me in the video is better OTA reception.

Really not going anywhere.

There is the potential to broadcast in 4K with HDR.

But the broadcast networks don't seem interested in sending such high quality transmissions to the local stations to be broadcast.

Local stations aren't as lucrative as they used to be.

The backers of ATSC 3.0 are struggling and recently asked FCC to mandate tuners and other equipment, so that there would be more TVs capable of getting broadcasts in ATSC 3.0.

Instead TV manufacturers are concentrating on installing built-in streaming apps.

They also tried to get smart phone makers to add ATSC 3.0 chipset to phones. That didn't happen either.

They had all kinds of grandiose plans, like mobile TVs which would let you watch while on the go and ad targeting tech, which might require using an Internet connection.

But if people have Internet connections, they can just get a streaming service.

The broadcast networks also put their shows on services like Hulu and Paramount + so you can stream them the next day, don't even need a DVR.

The HDTV transition 20 years ago worked because there were mandates for tuners and also there were cheap adapters so you could connect old TVs to new digital signals.

Also with the advent of HDTVs, sporting events, especially NFL football, got a to of people to upgrade.

Now, if you get any sports in 4K it's far more likely to be on streaming or cable systems dedicating special channels. Very unlikely they will ever broadcast in 4K.

The networks shoot the Super Bowl and produce 4K signals, either with 4K cameras or with HD cameras and they upscale the signal. But they never distribute it to local stations for broadcast.

ATSC 3.0 is already dead unless they prove otherwise.

Only high-end TVs are getting ATSC 3.0 tuners right now.

And there aren't many choices for (consumer-priced) external ATSC 3.0 tuners.

More worrisome to me is that our local NBC station enabled DRM on their ATSC 3.0 signal & according to the broadcast engineer at our local FOX station at least one of his commercial ATSC 3.0 tuners couldn't no longer decode that signal, so there are still clearly issues around decryption key authorizations when DRM is enabled.

Last edited:
More worrisome to me is that our local NBC station enabled DRM on their ATSC 3.0 signal & according to the broadcast engineer at our local FOX station at least one of his commercial ATSC 3.0 tuners couldn't no longer decode that signal, so there are still clearly issues around decryption key authorizations when DRM is enabled.
Nothing that more money from the consumers can't fix! :rolleyes:

Seriously, network TV will be trying to make up for lost revenue due to cord cutters going without live TV from them. Apparently, a bit less than half of new cord cutters are not going with a live TV streaming service (YouTube TV, Hulu, fuboTV). The loss here is with the re-broadcast fees for the networks.

I'm seeing that with AT&T's U-verse service (grandfathered), where the re-broadcast fees went from $9.99/mo to $12.99/mo last month. If it weren't for the hack of Sling (and Dish), we would be trying Sling out as a step away from network TV that isn't OTA.

Last edited:
I have a question for Sling TV users who stream through a Roku device. Can the Sling signup and payment be performed through the Roku, or do we have to signup directly with Sling?

PlutoTV continues to surprise me.

I don't know when they added it, but it is nice. What it is, is LOCAL weather.

Using the WeatherNation feed (which is a lot like The Weather Channel 1985 era), they create a local feed to your region, like magic. It is nice!

I have the WeatherNation app on Roku but it doesn't do this like PlutoTV does. And when did I tell PlutoTV where I live? (Asking rhetorically. DW still thinks the ads that appear are based on her search history. She may be right.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom