Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Just read about this promo for AppleTV+

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/free-a...ning-subscribers-only/6484512.p?skuId=6484512

Free for 3 months for new or returning customers. Put the item in the cart and checkout. You need to give a credit card but the charge is $0.00. Wait for an email to redeem. The link didn't work for me in Safari, I had to try it in Firefox. I put a reminder in my Calendar for when I should cancel, but AppleTV+ is one of the streaming services I've used and like so I may continue it.

Now if we could just get local networks as well that would be great.
Locast seemed like a great solution, for those TV markets they had expanded to. But they shot themselves in the foot using "donated" money to expand their coverage.

As it is, the network channels do not want to give up their cash cow, re-broadcast fees. What started out as a convenience with a very small cost piggybacking off of cable TV years ago has become costly.

Last edited:
Just read about this promo for AppleTV+

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/free-a...ning-subscribers-only/6484512.p?skuId=6484512

Free for 3 months for new or returning customers. Put the item in the cart and checkout. You need to give a credit card but the charge is $0.00. Wait for an email to redeem.

Thanks, but it didn't work for me. Went through the purchase and sign up process, got the email, then when I entered the code to redeem the offer, I got this:

Your code limit has been reached.

You have already redeemed the maximum number of these codes per Apple ID.
I signed up for a similar three month free trial last year, and I suppose that's why I'm "over the limit".

Joe, not sure what channel you're watching but in my hunt for it, I hit my CBS local KCAL news channel (Previously Recorded) on channel 3400 which was showing the weather.
Never mind, I found it on 425 I think. Right no it's showing central US weather but on the right sidebar it scrolls through local cites in the Los Angeles area with their current conditions. Now it's moved from Central US to Los Angeles area, very cool.

Locast seemed like a great solution, for those TV markets they had expanded to. But they shot themselves in the foot using "donated" money to expand their coverage.

As it is, the network channels do not want to give up their cash cow, re-broadcast fees. What started out as a convenience with a very small cost piggybacking off of cable TV years ago has become costly.
I loved Locast, the best $5 monthly donations I ever made and I had it for close to 2 years I think.
I really thought someone would come along and figure out a way to get all the networks on board and somehow salvage the Locast concept if they could all share a small portion of a reasonable monthly fee. Instead consumers are moving back to TV antennas if they are able to pick up OTA in their location.

Joe, not sure what channel you're watching but in my hunt for it, I hit my CBS local KCAL news channel (Previously Recorded) on channel 3400 which was showing the weather.
Never mind, I found it on 425 I think. Right no it's showing central US weather but on the right sidebar it scrolls through local cites in the Los Angeles area with their current conditions. Now it's moved from Central US to Los Angeles area, very cool.

Yeah, 425. You can see mine is even branded "Raleigh-Durham," likely from an IP address scrape. Nice.

Attachments

• pluto.JPG
    pluto.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 45
Thanks, but it didn't work for me. Went through the purchase and sign up process, got the email, then when I entered the code to redeem the offer, I got this:

I signed up for a similar three month free trial last year, and I suppose that's why I'm "over the limit".

Try going to the Best Buy site and doing a search for "AppleTV+ promo" . Maybe the link I posted was still linked to my logged in Best Buy account.

Last year I had AppleTV+ free for 12 months from T-Mobile. I thought maybe that would prevent redeeming this offer but it did work for me.

Try going to the Best Buy site and doing a search for "AppleTV+ promo" . Maybe the link I posted was still linked to my logged in Best Buy account.

Last year I had AppleTV+ free for 12 months from T-Mobile. I thought maybe that would prevent redeeming this offer but it did work for me.

It worked for me. This is my third time. I used your link, then backed out by clicking on Streaming Offers Subscriptions, got the order confirmation email from best buy, got the download instructions email from best buy, downloaded appletv app for my ipad, and clicked on redeem. It brought up appletv app and hit confirm for the three month free subscription. I'm good until June 6th.

I have a question for Sling TV users who stream through a Roku device. Can the Sling signup and payment be performed through the Roku, or do we have to signup directly with Sling?
To answer my own question from four days ago, it appears I can sign up for Sling TV through our Roku account and have Roku manage the subscription and payments to Sling. I'm not sure if that's any better than dealing with Sling directly, but given the recent security breach with Dish/Sling TV/Boost Mobile, I figure one less online account having our payment information the better.

Related to this topic, I wonder what's going to happen to Roku now that it's been determined that roughly a quarter of their cash assets are (were?) held at SVB.

Related to this topic, I wonder what's going to happen to Roku now that it's been determined that roughly a quarter of their cash assets are (were?) held at SVB.

I gave up on Roku & switched to the FireTv sticks after all three of my Roku 2 boxes died in short order just out of warranty.

I have never had a FireTV stick fail.

I’m sure they will be fine.

As a cord cutter for a few years now, I’ve also grown tired of rotating between the various major streaming services. I’ll use them selectively now and then going forward. For now I’m enjoying the free TV services - FreeVee, Tubi and Pluto. This weekend I’ve been watching a lot of the original Mission Impossible series. I had forgotten that Leonard Nimoy joined the cast after Star Trek!

Are there any other free apps that are similar to these 3 that I haven’t run across yet? I prefer TV series and documentaries over movies.

As a cord cutter for a few years now, I’ve also grown tired of rotating between the various major streaming services. I’ll use them selectively now and then going forward. For now I’m enjoying the free TV services - FreeVee, Tubi and Pluto. This weekend I’ve been watching a lot of the original Mission Impossible series. I had forgotten that Leonard Nimoy joined the cast after Star Trek!

Are there any other free apps that are similar to these 3 that I haven’t run across yet? I prefer TV series and documentaries over movies.
The Roku channel has some decent stuff.

I went through the entire Mission Impossible series on Paramount Plus a while ago. If you are familiar with the original Star Trek series there are a lot of crossovers with guest actors over the years. You will notice character actors in Star Trek episodes show up in Mission Impossible episodes, especially during the early seasons. (Both shows premiered in 1966.) Shatner appears on an episode of MI, as does George Takei.

One fun fact is that Martin Landau, who plays the disguise artist in Mission Impossible was the original choice for Mr. Spock in Star Trek TOS. He turned it down for MI. As we know, Leonard Nimoy took the role of Mr. Spock. Then, when Martin Landau left Mission Impossible, Nimoy took over his role as the disguise expert.

As JoeWras mentioned, Roku TV Live channel has a lot of stuff. It's kind of like a poor cousin to Pluto TV.

And to be clear: you don't need a Roku device to watch the Roku channel.

To answer my own question from four days ago, it appears I can sign up for Sling TV through our Roku account and have Roku manage the subscription and payments to Sling.
Sling TV is giving TruTV to Orange plan subscribers for free for the remainder of the week to watch the college basketball games.

Centurylink is putting fiber into our neighborhood. If I drop Comcast and try Centurylink, will the installers leave the Comcast lines in place so it would be easy to go back?

Centurylink is putting fiber into our neighborhood. If I drop Comcast and try Centurylink, will the installers leave the Comcast lines in place so it would be easy to go back?

yes, I switch back and forth with local fiber and comcast all the time. just switched back to comcast for $25/month for 200gb speed for 24 months, no contract.

Century Link can’t remove Comcast’s property (or whoever originally installed) without their consent, and vice versa. Both will remain as is.

yes, I switch back and forth with local fiber and comcast all the time. just switched back to comcast for $25/month for 200gb speed for 24 months, no contract.

Dang. That's a nice price. Wish I could get that. We have no competition here, so I'm paying $76 a month for that speed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom