Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

You could sign up for Hulu and their (I think) .99/month special. They make GMA available for streaming the next day.

Hmm. That might be worth it. I'll run that by my wife.

Disneysteve, you cannot go wrong trying the hulu $0.99 special right now. You can sign up until tomorrow, after that the deal won't happen for another year. It is a full year at 0.99 per month. Hulu is even kind enough to remind you a few weeks ahead when the deal ends (this is a rare courtesy most companies skip). Or you can cancel.

Sign up now, try it, and if you don't like it cancel and you are out $0.99 and tax.

Plus, Hulu is a Disney company, disneysteve. :LOL:

You can watch National ABC News anytime live.

You can watch GMA the next day.

You can watch all ABC prime time shows the next day. You can watch most Fox shows too.

There are ads. In my region, most are 45 to 90 seconds long. It isn't terrible. More ads may be inserted in larger regions.

I'm sounding like a shill. I am not. I was where you were 1 year ago and figured I had little to lose, and it turns out I liked Hulu more than I thought. We watch "The Good Doctor" for example. Although I can get ABC over the air, the quality on Hulu is better so we watch it the next day. ABC is the only station my antenna has occasional problems with.

I follow this thread to keep up with changes. Just completed our ninth year cable free! We do an annual subscribe to Disney + to share with the GK's although we have watched a few movies during the first year we have had it. Also do have Hulu with ads that we have paid between .99 and 1.99 per month for.

ABC is the only station my antenna has occasional problems with.
Yep. That seems to be a common issue from what I've read.

I think I'll do the Hulu thing and see if we like it.

Thanks for the tip.

I follow this thread to keep up with changes. Just completed our ninth year cable free! We do an annual subscribe to Disney + to share with the GK's although we have watched a few movies during the first year we have had it. Also do have Hulu with ads that we have paid between .99 and 1.99 per month for.

It's been 8 years for me since I cut the cord, and for several years prior to that, I was paying less than $14/mo for a very lean basic cable line-up, which didn't have much more than what I can get with my antenna. It's probably been 15 years since I had a typical cable line-up, which included cable news networks. I get ABC, CBS, CW, NBC, FOX, PBS, and a few others with my antenna.

I subscribe to no streaming services. I get a free Xfinity Flex box with my internet service and watch some free stuff on there. It's included with my internet service at no additional cost, and I never paid for any content on the Flex.

I can't see paying for any streaming services while I'm still working full time. I already have access to far more good stuff than I ever have time to watch.

Another great move I made this year - I gave up the NFL. Well, I've watched some here and there, usually no more than 20 minutes on a Sunday, and I haven't watched any at all some weekends including not watching ANY today. I had already given up all other sports in previous years. I'm happier without all that and have more free time.

I use a home theater PC running SageTV for recording from the antenna for DVR functionality. There's no subscription for that, either. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I’ve been wanting to try out Britbox and at this rate it is hard to say no.
I was watching the free limited Britbox channel live streaming on Pluto TV with no on demand and it accomplished exactly what it wanted to do. I got hooked and kept missing episodes and was making a list of all the shows I wanted to watch and then this offer came along, I could not refuse.
I don't see what the big deal is with live streaming any more when you can watch on your own schedule and the entire series.

Is there a tutorial about the various streaming devices somewhere in the Cord Cutting threads? I have several questions, and I would rather not repeat what has already been asked.

Neither my wife nor I have ever used any TV service other than from cable (coax) or fiber optic. Our house, purchased three years ago, was pre-wired for Cat6 in all of the rooms. Our two TVs are in the family room and master bedroom.

We've never used a Roku or Fire Stick or similar. My first thought was I would purchase and connect say a couple of Rokus to the Ethernet outlets next to our TVs. Our two TVs are connected via Ethernet (DVR and STB boxes), and our two PCs are also connected via Ethernet. It is a preference to avoid wireless whenever possible.

Of course, right off the bat I find out many of the streaming devices are wireless only. A few I have looked at, like the Roku Ultra LT, have an Ethernet connection, but they are limited to 10/100. Some articles have indicated you would be better off using the wireless connection than a 10/100 Ethernet hookup. It was at that point I gave up.

Last edited:
Is there a tutorial about the various streaming devices somewhere in the Cord Cutting threads? I have several questions, and I would rather not repeat what has already been asked.

Neither my wife nor I have ever used any TV service other than from cable (coax) or fiber optic. Our house, purchased three years ago, was pre-wired for Cat6 in all of the rooms. Our two TVs are in the family room and master bedroom.

We've never used a Roku or Fire Stick or similar. My first thought was I would purchase and connect say a couple of Rokus to the Ethernet outlets next to our TVs. Our two TVs are connected via Ethernet (DVR and STB boxes), and our two PCs are also connected via Ethernet. It is a preference to avoid wireless whenever possible.

Of course, right off the bat I find out many of the streaming devices are wireless only. A few I have looked at, like the Roku Ultra LT, have an Ethernet connection, but they are limited to 10/100. Some articles have indicated you would be better off using the wireless connection than a 10/100 Ethernet hookup. It was at that point I gave up.

A couple of things... And before I start, if you jump in, we are more than happy to help here if you start into streaming. Don't worry about the repeat questions.

First, if you want to just dip your toes in the water, Amazon has the HD Firestick for sale through tomorrow for $19.99. This comes with a remote that can also control the TV and TV volume, which is a must in my book to make things usable. This is WiFi though, but may be OK for you to get a start before you buy a wired device.

If you are willing to possibly spend $20 on a chance and use WiFi, I'd start here. Worst case you are out $20. With the Firestick, there are plenty of streaming services we can point you to that are free (like PlutoTV). This way you can discover how it works, whether wireless is good enough for you, etc., all without paying any subscriptions. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, then you already have a service that will provide more content. There are plenty of people here willing to help get you started.

Don't fear Wifi. I didn't buy a house with wired ethernet, I cut holes in my walls and installed it myself. Years later, I use very little of that infrastructure I sweated on for so many weekends. So it goes...

Second, your last paragraph may be the result of streaming geeks/snobs writing stuff. If you are not into 4k, then 10G/100G ethernet is fine. If you truly want to stay off WiFi, there are a few streamers that do it. But you'll pay more for the hardware, hence the suggestion to give the $20 device a try.

I have streamers doing both Wifi and wired. I don't do 4K. I have no problems with either on both Rokus, and Google Chromecast with GTV. BTW, if you buy the Google device (latest generation with the clunky name, $40), it is wireless, but you can buy an adapter later to make it wired ethernet.

Third: my take is start small. Try it out. Get used to it, then build out your network later when you can then fully cut the cord. I know I personally couldn't have cut all at once. It took me some time to feel comfortable.

I remember complaining on this thread -- I think to Midpack -- that I missed the "fast switch between channels" that cable provides. Midpack's answer was "I don't notice it anymore" or something like that. I thought: he's crazy, streaming stinks. Channel switching is so slow.

Flash forward to today. I can switch SERVICES like nobody's business. Fastest draw in the East. But it took familiarity. It was a bit of a process for me until I completely cut the cord.

So do you have WIFI already?
If not just buy a wireless router, plug it into your cable modem and follow the set up instructions. These range in price from about $30 to $300. I have a TP Link that I paid $30 for a couple of years ago and it runs everything with no issues but most here will probably recommend a mesh router.
If you have a recent smart TV already you're set otherwise I would recommend a Roku stick for a first timer, Firesticks can be finicky. The only difference is you can type web addresses and use Mozilla or silk browsers. Roku does not have a browser.
Very easy to set up, you will be up and running in no time, there is tons of videos on youtube.

Thank you for the detailed information, JoeWras. I will discuss this with my DW, who will be the primary person using these services. I watch a mere fraction of the TV that she does.

Learning new tech doesn't bother me at all. DW, OTOH, has been known to yell at her tablet, smartphone, and every DVR we've owned.

We do have Amazon Prime, so that's one avenue for free streaming as a test. Our TVs are HD (1080p), and there isn't a compelling reason for us to move to a 4K TV.

My knee-jerk reaction to wireless comes from having spent 30+ years working on classified networks and information. Those networks were not connected to the Internet. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:
So do you have WIFI already?
Yes. My DW uses her wireless tablet daily. I occasionally use my laptop via wireless. Our smartphones are set up on our WiFi network, but it's rare we use it.

If you have a recent smart TV already you're set otherwise I would recommend a Roku stick for a first timer, Firesticks can be finicky.
The TVs, both Samsung "Smart" TVs, do have some apps they are capable of working with. But Samsung will not provide an app for this TV for Sling, which is where we're likely to end up at the moment. So, the move to streaming TV services will require one of those devices for us.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed information, JoeWras. I will discuss this with my DW, who will be the primary person using these services. I watch a mere fraction of the TV that she does.

Learning new tech doesn't bother me at all. DW, OTOH, has been known to yell at her tablet, smartphone, and every DVR we've owned.

We do have Amazon Prime, so that's one avenue for free streaming as a test. Our TVs are HD (1080p), and there isn't a compelling reason for us to move to a 4K TV.

My knee-jerk reaction to wireless comes from having spent 30+ years working on classified networks and information. Those networks were not connected to the Internet. Old habits die hard.

Ah, sure, I understand about Wifi habits. But this is just streaming TV. You can even lock your router down to only allow the streaming devices if necessary.

The rest of it sounds like a "User Interface" concern to me. Yes, it is very different than cable. And not everyone can adjust. Your wife is going to have to try to be sure she's OK with it. She should also give it some time before making too many judgements. Expect a few yells at the remote at first.

I spent a few years getting used to streaming just for Amazon Prime. That alone would be worth a try for you. At first I did not like the user interface (see my comment about complaining here). Over time, I came to actually prefer it, and it was then that I cut the cord and enjoyed $70+ savings per month.

The Hulu deal ends tomorrow.

I signed up for the Hulu deal a few years ago but didn't find much interesting content and as a result we didn't really use it at all.

We had the Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ bundle for a few months last summer and I don't think I even bothered to open Hulu while we had it.

First, if you want to just dip your toes in the water, Amazon has the HD Firestick for sale through tomorrow for $19.99. This comes with a remote that can also control the TV and TV volume, which is a must in my book to make things usable. This is WiFi though, but may be OK for you to get a start before you buy a wired device.

You can easily add an adapter to a Firestick to use wired ethernet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TC662N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I finally did it. I should have done it a long time ago. I called AT&T and cut back my services. They force you to call. On their website you can't delete a service, you can only change plans. I hate calling them. I was on the phone for over one hour. When I first called I was on hold for 10 minutes. Then someone answers who can't really help me. I was on hold for 20 minutes while they got me to the right person. I deleted my home phone, and cut back my TV to basic and got my Internet increased to 500 MBPS at a lower price than it was. My bill went from $262 to $76. It is still too high. I got the basic TV for the local news channels but they are only standard defination and it turns out that they change $10 for them on top of the $20 for basic TV, which has nothing that I would ever watch. The only reason that I can find to have the basic TV is so that I can use the login for some streaming apps on my Fire TV Stick. This worked for Fox News but not for MotorTrend which requires a special subscription. The thing that stopped me from makeing the change besides loathing calling them is that I needed a good alternative. The Vizio apps were not good enough, but the Fire Stick TV is better than AT&T Uverse, so now I am happy.

I thought about going that route. $35 total for the Fire Stick and the adapter. I then noticed a Cyber Monday sale on the Roku Ultra LT (discontinued now, I believe) for the same cost of $35. Both wireless and wired (10/100 - this is pretty much the case with most streaming devices with Ethernet). We now have a device to test out streaming services and whether we want to go the wired route or wireless.

I found out yesterday that while AT&T Uverse would give us a promo for another year, we could cancel the TV service at any time with no penalty. In the past, I thought there was an early cancellation fee. It made it easier to take the promo while we start testing out TV streaming services in earnest. They did say once we cancel their Uverse service, we can never go back as AT&T is not providing Uverse for new customers or re-starts.

I sure hope this works out. With my DW, we are never going to cut the cord for cheap. But our current Uverse service, with the promo, extra STB, fees, and sales taxes will run close to $130/mo. Going with Sling Blue plus their Total TV add-on will run about $61/mo. Again, for many here, that's still pricey, but for us, that's a savings of almost $70/mo. We could add in a couple of other services, like Discovery Plus, and still be way ahead of our Uverse package.

It is that time of year. We always review our recurring charges. Did it with home and auto insurance a few years ago.

It was time to tell our internet and tv provide that we were moving off. Lots of competition. Started by saying we wanted to cancel. Ten minutes later we were down to $118 from $182 with a better internet package included.

So in order to keep my options open, I grabbed the black Friday Firestick deal. I now have two Rokus, 1 Firestick and one Google Chromecast with Google TV.

I bought the Google device last year because Roku wouldn't support HBOMax at the time.

We now have 3 TVs, 4 devices. When wars and skirmishes break out, I can swap the one that works with the best "use case" for that TV.

I'm going to make another post about observations of operation.

Got the latest basic Firestick on the black Friday deal. I had an earlier generation F.S. 5 years ago. It stunk. It would not work with the demands of the apps.

This latest F.S. has enough memory and horsepower to work OK. However, I still prefer Roku.

Why? Roku's proprietary Linux based operating system (foundational stuff users don't see) just seems to run apps faster and better. Apps come up faster, especially after caching. Apps don't crash or misbehave as much, if ever. It is just a faster experience.

Firestick runs on Android. I managed to hang the Firestick with the Paramount+ app. I got this F.S. mostly so DW could watch P+ on the exercise room TV. She was using her Kindle, but the P+ app would have issues.

Well, it has the same issues on F.S. Granted, this is likely a P+ bug, but man, it stinks. The only solution is to force stop the app and clear app memory. P+ works perfectly on Roku. It dawned on me that Kindle and F.S. probably run exactly the same Amazon base code. Of course! But I have also seen P+ issues on Chromecast, another Android device.

It also struck me that the apps have the same look and feel on Firestick as Chromecast w/GTV. Makes sense, same Android app.

Roku's look and feel is slightly different for all apps.

Each has plus and minuses, but it is no big deal.

What is a bigger deal is the home screen and how it works on Firestick versus Roku. Roku's clean app interface is my preference. It is also easy on fading eyesight. F.S. is too cluttered (with Ads too!). Too many steps to get the long list of apps.

I guess in summary, both devices are fine, I just give the edge to Roku... for now.

Agreed that Roku has a much cleaner and simpler interface, but we have seen hangs with the Prime app on Roku.

Agreed that Roku has a much cleaner and simpler interface, but we have seen hangs with the Prime app on Roku.

Hmmmm. One has to wonder... Roku<->Amazon. interesting

Back
Top Bottom