USB Wireless Adapter

brett

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone using a USB wireless adapter? I have an opportunity to get an unused business computer that has no wireless card. Wondering how reliable they are and if they are dependable. Is the set up fairly straightforward?

Last edited:
I've used one in the past on a desktop without a wireless card. Was quite happy. Very dependable.

Make sure the one you get isn't so old that it doesn't have decent security. Other than that, I think you are good to go.

We've been running "refurbished" 'bay ~$225 business desktops for several years - they normally are furnished with USB wireless dongles which have done just fine. We can stream music or send video to the tv.

We've been running "refurbished" 'bay ~$225 business desktops for several years - they normally are furnished with USB wireless dongles which have done just fine. We can stream music or send video to the tv.
Me, too. It is just a little $15 dongle that plugs into the USB port.

Some of the older cheaper ones don't work with Windows 10. Some of the newer ones will go much faster than I need. I bought a 600 Mbps for an older PC that I don't want to run a cable to. I bought dual band - 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz. I bought one that does 802.11ac, which is the newer standard. (Newer than N). It has a little antenna. You can buy flush USB, but I don't know how far they will reach. All for 13.99 plus tax. Plug-N-Play.

Anyone using a USB wireless adapter? I have an opportunity to get an unused business computer that has no wireless card. Wondering how reliable they are and if they are dependable. Is the set up fairly straightforward?

I bought this one for my daughter a few months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5PRK7J

Her apartment only has one internet connection where her wireless router is located. Her desktop computer is set up on the other side of the apartment. Installation is just a matter of plugging it into an unused USB port. I can't remember if I even needed to install a driver, I think it was ready to go immediately. Otherwise it's just a matter of installing the driver.

She has been using it since February with no issues.

They make smaller ones that look like a tiny flash drive. My wife's refurbished computer came with some generic WiFi adapter that worked fine until I could get the wired ethernet hooked up.

Here's one example:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-wireless-network-Adapter-SoftAP/dp/B008IFXQFU

have 3 around the house somewhere. Don't need them now, but, as stated, they work and are cheap. In the early days getting the right driver was a problem. I would guess that has been overcome now. They are old tech now.

I also have one of these that works with my laptop.
61s5weL0dEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Thank. Decided not to buy the refurbished business desktop.

Raised my desktop from it's premature graveyard.. Installed a new system hard drive. Amazing. 1TB for $45. Found the restore disks after three moves, and they worked. Good to get a fresh install. System works just fine for our purposes and we will stay on windows 7 for now.

Last edited:
FWIW to others looking at the thread, the WiFi adapter in my Surface Pro 3 got flaky so I bought one of the little nubbin adapters that plugs into the USB. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PB1X4CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It works fine but as I expected due to lack of a real antenna it is severely range-limited. More range limited than I expected: Within 10 feet of the WAP it works OK even with a house floor between the nubbin and the WAP. Performance falls off rapidly from that point, however. At 20-30 feet it is essentially worthless. I would suggest that anyone going the adapter route get one with an actual antenna. Years ago I used some like that and they worked well.

YMMV of course.

FWIW to others looking at the thread, the WiFi adapter in my Surface Pro 3 got flaky so I bought one of the little nubbin adapters that plugs into the USB. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PB1X4CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It works fine but as I expected due to lack of a real antenna it is severely range-limited. More range limited than I expected: Within 10 feet of the WAP it works OK even with a house floor between the nubbin and the WAP. Performance falls off rapidly from that point, however. At 20-30 feet it is essentially worthless. I would suggest that anyone going the adapter route get one with an actual antenna. Years ago I used some like that and they worked well.

YMMV of course.

I purchased a USB adapter and was not happy with its performance. I then purchased a USB "extender cable" (less than $1). It allowed me to basically put the adapter five feet above the floor (antenna-like). Performance was much improved.

I've been using an ASUS N10 wifi dongle for years. Plug and go, even with different OSes.

I use a Linksys AE6000 on a old Inspiron I upgraded to Windows 10. It worked fine for Windows 7 and 10.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom