Virginia Tech shooting and gun control

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sad. Yet another strong case for gun control. I guess those that oppose gun control on a Constitutional basis must consider that these shooters belong to a "well regulated milita."

I'm a bleeding heart liberal on many issues, but I'm not for gun control. Aside from historical reasons I don't believe it's practical to undo the proliferation of guns. Not from outlaws, anyway.

I'm certainly sad about the shootings in VA and hope the casualty count doesn't rise.

If I want to own a guy, by gawd, I'll own one. That being said, since I don't plan on shooting anyone"today" - or any time in the future - I have NO problem with background checks being run on me - and having to wait for the results...as long as the gun I was trying to buy is held for the duration of my security check. IMHO, it is doubtful the gun was "legally" his.

I think we should have a law prohibiting people from shooting other people. Maybe make the penalty for breaking this law really harsh.

Exceptions to this general prohibition on shooting people would be allowed for (1) self defense, (2) defense of others, (3) law enforcement or military personnel carrying out their duty, (4) executioners carrying out a death sentence.

OTOH, if one of the students was "packing", maybe he could have stopped the carnage.............just something to think about.............

Wow, the death toll is now up to 31.

We just moved from that area about 1 1/2 months ago. This is such a tragedy.

justin said:
I think we should have a law prohibiting people from shooting other people. Maybe make the penalty for breaking this law really harsh.

Exceptions to this general prohibition on shooting people would be allowed for (1) self defense, (2) defense of others, (3) law enforcement or military personnel carrying out their duty, (4) executioners carrying out a death sentence.

Ayup. What you said. Owning guns hasn't filled me with the desire to use them on anyone. Just as owning an axe and a baseball bat hasn't.

As a committed gun-nut, this kind of things does bother me, as I worry that my hobby is contributing to this kind of massacre. I do wish that we had to political will to do what is needed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the insane. Unfortunately, we do not have the will to do this and it is much easier to disarm honest owners. I am afraid that we are looking at a situation where in the near future only criminals will have guns. I see this happening in the next 20-30 years.

SoonToRetire said:
Sad. Yet another strong case for gun control.
Is there any correlation between gun control and fewer disasters?

Or is there a correlation between more open/concealed carry and fewer disasters?

My impression is that gun-control laws punish the innocent without affecting the guilty. But I could be mistaken.

Fireup2025 said:
If I want to own a guy, by gawd, I'll own one.
I've always tried to stay away from that type of relationship!

Mass killings need not be limited to just the usage of guns. A highjacked airplane(s) used as missle or a home made bomb such as the one in Oklahoma City is just as or even more effective.

I'm not one for political debates on the internet, but I think it's silly to ban guns thinking this will be cure all for the nation's violent crime problem. Ban guns, and criminals will just purchase them on the black market.

cube_rat said:
Ban guns, and criminals will just purchase them on the black market.

That's how criminals can get them now......... :p I have heard you can buy a gun on the street for as little as $25...............

The interesting point is that we kill a lot of people with guns... it is still rare for this to happen in the UK...

The problems are that there are way to many guns now to stop them... and making harsher laws will not stop someone like this guy as they are going to be dead anyhow... kind of like passing a law against suicide or suicide bombers... what is the punishment:confused:

Texas Proud said:
The interesting point is that we kill a lot of people with guns... it is still rare for this to happen in the UK...
[Edited to state that this correlation may have nothing to do with gun control laws.]

the size of the US definitely hurts our ability to control such things as well as other countries can - i have been to countries where you cannot get weed if you want it like you can here ( i wasn't looking!) - but their borders are more enclosed, and easier to monitor.

aside from that, i think we also lack the political will to really control it. it is just too easy to get a street gun or access drugs...if any numbskull can get a gun or drug, i'm sure we could figure out how to control it better if we wanted to...

Texas Proud said:

The problems are that there are way to many guns now to stop them...

How about restricting sales of ammunition? Dunno if it would work, but might be worth a try.

The point is the weapon is irrelevant.

Are you saying that a disgruntled, non-athletic kid (that is, not a Navy Seal) could kill 31 people at a school with a knife?

TromboneAl said:
Are you saying that a disgruntled, non-athletic kid (that is, not a Navy Seal) could kill 31 people at a school with a knife?

Oh, absolutely, happens all the time. You should see what they can do with just a stick wth a nail in it...

::)

Al--No what I'm saying is it is a tragedy when someone goes on a spree, commits violent crimes, and kills people whether it is one two or 31. It doesn't matter what the weapon is. The person/people are just as dead. Someone who is motivated to do this sort of thing will find a suitable weapon to commit their crime of choice.

Perhaps my example of a knife was too far out there to make sense to normal people. If I would have linked a news story about the Oklahoma bombing and stated we should outlaw fertilizer it would have been more reality and less of a stretch.

Nords said:
My impression is that gun-control laws punish the innocent without affecting the guilty. But I could be mistaken.
I've always tried to stay away from that type of relationship!
[/quote
I agree with your statement.
I think the discussion about gun control is one of those topics that distracts people from other areas that really could use the attention and solutions.

But can anyone really feel righteous about obesity in the USA? Why when ever a person dies of obesity don't we get a news story about it?

Or how about car accidents - about 38K die and 400K are injured in car accidents - where is the outrage about that!

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/causes.html
CAUSES OF DEATH, USA, 2002
FORMAL NAME

INFORMAL NAME

% ALL DEATHS
(1) Diseases of the heart heart attack (mainly) 28.5%
(2) Malignant neoplasms cancer 22.8%
(3) Cerebrovascular disease stroke 6.7%
(4) Chronic lower respiratory disease emphysema, chronic bronchitis 5.1%
(5) Unintentional injuries accidents 4.4%
(6) Diabetes mellitus diabetes 3.0%
(7) Influenza and pneumonia flu & pneumonia 2.7%
8 Alzheimer's Disease Alzheimer's senility 2.4%
(9) Nephritis and Nephrosis kidney disease 1.7%
(10) Septicemia systemic infection 1.4%
(11) Intentional self-harm suicide 1.3%
(12) Chronic Liver/Cirrhosis liver disease 1.1%
(13) Essential Hypertension high blood pressure 0.8%
(14) Assault homicide 0.7%
(15) All other causes other 17.4%]

Fireup2025 said:
If I want to own a guy, by gawd, I'll own one.
I don't think so. That's been illegal since the the 1860s. ;)

Culture said:
Or airplanes

See 9/11

Or Islamunifascists, right? C'mon, if you want to turn the USA into a Xtian theocracy, don't beat about the bush.

Back
Top Bottom