What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some hard work today. Moved and reset 24 sidewalk blocks that had shifted over the years. These were old 24" x 30" blocks that are pretty heavy. Some were thicker than others requiring moving them 3 or 4 times to ensure they were all level.

It was a heck of a workout :LOL:

Got up early as usual and did our morning neighborhood walk, watered plants and palm trees.

Sold some our HHG’s, I.e. Several Capodimonte’s we purchased in Italy very cheap. DW was very sad bc she sold them very cheap. I told her that we had and enjoyed them for many many years and they did not match our new home decor. She smiled-:)

Yesterday there was a small fire to our north. This morning it's over 600 acres and is continuing to burn. It's burning in wilderness areas; hoping it stays there until they're able to get it out.

^^So many Fires so early in the season, frightening!

Yesterday I got the rest of my flowers and tomatoes planted. and today it is raining, which is good, free watering! We have still had a few colder, frosty nights, so not as much planting earlier

Today going back to ranch for the day. Yesterday I prepared a spot for planting asparagus. Today I will go back and plant the crowns I have and also some potted 8-inch-high asparagus I found at the nursery. I have some natural fertilizer and straw for the project. I'm hope for some positive results in the years to more. I also picked a dozen or so spears yesterday from the wild plants that are along the crick.

I will mow my new tree project and add more fencing and deterrent strategy for the wildlife.

As I read your posts about your ranch, this seems to keep you quite occupied and happy! Enjoy :)

I am going to get a bottle of Washington Prosecco, shake it up a bit, let the stopper fly off, the bubbly spill over, and celebrate the anniversary of the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens.

Happy Mt. Saint Helens Day!

Yesterday I took DW to an audiology appointment. She needs hearing aids! Who knew? I have for some time but she wasn't ready to hear about it. [emoji846] So a mere $3800 out of pocket to try this solution. I am confident they'll make a difference if it's good or bad remains to be seen.

Managed to get my vehicle into a car wash. Manual so it's not perfect but knocked crud out for now. Watered the small lawn and garden. DW took some spring flowers out for a few hours. I spent an hour brushing and combing the bernedoodle puppy. She thought it was all affection.

Speaking of Dr's appointments. Since we recently moved to our new home in Texas, I took my DW to the dentist for our 1st appointment and she came out an hour later stating they told her she would need about 15K worth of work done. Damn, what a mistake that was...lol.

I am going to get a bottle of Washington Prosecco, shake it up a bit, let the stopper fly off, the bubbly spill over, and celebrate the anniversary of the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens.

Happy Mt. Saint Helens Day!

:LOL:
It was a sight to see, thats for sure. I was at work the first time, looked out the hospital window from the 4th floor. Ash all over the area.
Saw explosion #2 from the front deck of the little house we were renting at the time.

:LOL:
It was a sight to see, thats for sure. I was at work the first time, looked out the hospital window from the 4th floor. Ash all over the area.
Saw explosion #2 from the front deck of the little house we were renting at the time.

It's still a sight to see. A huge mountain with one side blow out. But, that does give a great view into the crater. The Monument is rather far from the main highways in the state so it doesn't a lot of visits. OTOH, if it was close to the major highways, Portland might no longer exist. :eek:

Last edited:
Early AM (8:00 AM!:() appointment with the cardiologist. The good news is that he wants to see me in six months, which suggests that he thinks I'm gonna live at least that long. Then a grocery run, and I got a first hand look at what all the complaining is about grocery prices - I spent $245 and it didn't seem like I bought all that much. Oh well, at least we can afford it so that's good.

Waiting now for a student to call me and let me know he's free from his afternoon appointment and we can go flying R/C airplanes the rest of the day.

Coached my son's first baseball game of the season, and the first coaching game of my career. Keeping 11 7 and 8 yr olds focused on the game of baseball for a 2.5hr duration from practice to end of the ballgame was a lot. Although we didn't win, it was a very close game, the kids had a lot of fun (until the end when they were puttering out) and they are getting better each time we play. Coaching is stressful but its fun to be involved in the game rather than showing up and plopping down on the lawn chair!

Board Meeting @ 7 to 930 than a funeral @ 10. My son came for the funeral so had a great visit and lunch with him. This was his first day off from work in 26 days. He is in engineering supervisor position for a power company and been busy with storm related event. This afternoon will go help an elderly lady with some spring planting and some odds and ends she needed help with. It is never a dull moment and seems to get busier all the time.

I went out to a friend of the owner's house and proceeded to tear up the side yard the landscaping all the way out to the water meter in search of a leak.
No luck so the leak is probably underneath a large exposed aggregate sidewalk/driveway.
I was in Selah when the mountain blew. Mom and I were running up to the other farm to move some irrigation water around, and I noticed this big ugly storm cloud heading our way. We had not heard the news.
I commented that we want to get done heading back home before that hits.
On the way back, you could barely see the leading ash, it was down on the road and then it would swirl up behind the cars like a light powder snow does in the winter. We got back home and it got completely dark by 930 am.
The poor little birds were so confused they came into our back patio area and would just land anywhere.

At about 4:30 the sun burned through this baleful red color it looked more like a moon and then it got dark again really quickly.
We had a dump truck and I spent about 6 weeks hauling ash after that, for the city.

Spent a few hours on the tractor this morning until it started getting to hot outside. I'll spend a few more hours on it late today once it's starts cooling off. Then rinse and repeat tomorrow.

Transplanted my cucumbers out to the garden. Mowed my lawn and my neighbor's lawn (he's out of town for a month).

^^^^^Now you can come finish mowing mine . I'll even supply the diesel.:)

Took my 2011 diesel truck to the dealership for an oil change. When I picked it up there was a sheet of paper on the dash offering to purchase the truck for 80% of what I paid for it new, 11 years ago. I'm thinking about it... :)

^^^^^ Only if you sell it with a full tank of fuel. Otherwise they'll probably reduce the offer.

Yesterday we had another training session with the Captain. Reviewed our low speed maneuvering skills and applied them to docking. The docking thing was really cool, I now feel comfortable at strange docks.

Captain taught us the stern spring. Back up so that the "mate" can loop the dock cleat and secure to stern cleat. Then bump the dock side clutch forward until the line snugs then forward on, engine idles in gear which pins the boat against the dock. Then mate prepares the bow line and threads it through the Hawse attaches the ladder, climbs down and secures the bow line.

Then it's engines off, go have lunch, fill the tanks or whatever - :)

We did this twice and I got pretty good at it.

Then we drove down to San Jose and had supper with DSIL and caught up. He was attending CLEO and gave a presentation as well as taking in a lot of discussions.

Last edited:
That's really good stuff Robbie. I use that method departing with a unfavorable wind and a single screw just kind of in reverse. When you're struggling to get the bow out you can round off a line like that and get the bow going the way you want then kick her in gear forward and head out.

Here's a two tug two barge dance video, around the derrick. I was up front cutting loose the lines, and now I am making my way back to unhook us from the barge. We had just vacated the spot where the other tug is landing that fresh barge. We gave this one a shove in the right direction and I stepped off.
https://youtu.be/Co7HCGhgSdg

Yes, the tank was full when they made the offer!

However, the offer states it is good for 10 days or 500 miles, whichever comes first. No mention of a full tank. :)

We have friends with an older Ford diesel and they have gotten several offers for their truck. I wonder why some older diesels are sought after?

Older emissions standard pre Volkswagen scandal?

Just hard to find trucks in general?

No one is looking for my 2010 GMC.

Swanee

Went downtown and walked the dogs. It was smoky at our house from the fire 5 miles away and and better downtown. At the far end of the riverwalk we could see the forest fire in the distance probably 10 miles away. My wife spotted an airplane through the haze, I saw it and a couple helicopters. When we were almost back to our vehicle a DC-10 air tanker flew low overhead. Pretty impressive. Had coffee and and enjoyed the dogs being worn out.

Tonight the smoke is better at our house. They have a line established to our east, hope it holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom