What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

A snow day today from a Colorado Low and another one coming in the next 30 hours or so. A beautiful day just got in from shoveling. Was a snowblower event but decided to shovel for the exercise. A beautiful day and it started to melt already.

Took my pickup truck in for the state inspection/oil change/tire rotation, found out the battery was done for and had that replaced. In only five more years I'll be able to get antique tags for it! That pickup truck was a special order when I retired since I knew I'd have it for a long time. Didn't figure it would be 20 years though.

Yesterday cut and moved some logs from the felled trees to make room for the stump grinder. A guy came in the afternoon to grind 6 stumps.

Today "moved" a 32'x32' fenced dog run for my dog. I love cattle panels.

Last edited:
It's been snowing and blowing. We had another 6" or so, nobody knows for sure as the wind was blowing over 50mph. I ran the snowblower this morning, and it was 4 feet deep at the end of the driveway after the snowplow went through.

Took the one dog out for a walk in the snow, and she's been very happy even if her pooodlish fur freezes up.

It's been snowing all afternoon, but it isn't supposed to start until this evening... I want to get the mail, I think I'll wait until morning to snowblow again. It's really snowing heavily, and we're in the clouds dumping it. Visibility is in feet.

Ran out and got us some Huevos a la Mexicana for brunch, got up on the roof and blew out the gutters in preparation for the coming rains and then climbed in the attic and installed the new solar powered gable ventilator and laid down the remaining three quarter sheets of OSB.

Also mounted the temp sender so I know how hot the attic is. Soon I'll have free (solar) power blowing the hot air out in the summer time. Looking forward to lower AC energy costs this year.

We hit 75°F today and after a dental appointment I couldn't help but go out and play with the new tiller again. We sure have a lot of rocks here! And that tiller found every. Single. One. I'm impressed that the tiller didn't break on some of those huge rocks but I guess they're built to handle that. I hope.

Ran out and got us some Huevos a la Mexicana for brunch, got up on the roof and blew out the gutters in preparation for the coming rains and then climbed in the attic and installed the new solar powered gable ventilator and laid down the remaining three quarter sheets of OSB.

Also mounted the temp sender so I know how hot the attic is. Soon I'll have free (solar) power blowing the hot air out in the summer time. Looking forward to lower AC energy costs this year.

I suppose this time of year isn't good to take boat out for a journey. You got any overnighters planned on the water in the future?

Not until it gets warmer. Just above freezing (35) here at night.

This is the third day in a row I woke up to snow everywhere, but it melted by early afternoon.

Today, went to the County Human Services office to talk about our app to Medi Cal since Covered CA said we don't have enough income. The app has been hanging around a while and calling was not working, so I went in. Was afraid I'd have to sit in a waiting room full of people half the day. But there was no line at all and I was back out in 15 or 20 minutes, after hearing that based on the info I gave we would be approved and the process would be started in their computer today.

Woo Hoo! That is a load of stress off. Mostly.

I am drawing detail sheets for the house plans. Today it is the impervious surfaces and drainage plans.

We did a (virtual) walk-through of our new house today. It had to be virtual since we are still snowbirding and did not want to come back a week early. DD (who lives nearby) represented us in person and carried us around via Facetime. The only significant item to be done is to re-do the caulking in one of the showers; apparently things settled a little and the seal is not good.

Other than that, a few paint touch-ups and some adjustments on the kitchen cabinet drawers. Closing is one week from today - we are excited!

Went for a chilly walk in blustery winds but I needed to get out for a bit. I thought about doing some more tilling, but my back still hurts from the other day, so I thought it best to give myself a break. It isn't running the tiller that causes the back pain, it's the bending over to pick up all the rocks the tiller unearths. This project is going to take a while if I can only work on it every three days or so.

Ran the snowblower. The snowplow came through, set too low. Temperatures are almost 50°F and our road is mud. Someone posted on the local Facebook page that they wanted to be introduced to their snowplow operator. It didn't seem like a friendly invite. [emoji4]

We're off on a short 3-day visit with 8 mo DGS and DD, DSIL and DS. DGS is a little bundle of joy and loves to laugh and giggle

Drove over to see 92yo DM yesterday and we all went out to lunch. DM and DGS shared a kids meal.

DW is keen to look at real estate so I think a move to ATX is in our future. We looked at a couple apartments yesterday, some houses the day before and more houses today.

A beautiful blue bird day. Went to ranch and took the Snowdog track machine to haul some sheep fence back to the old shop. I will use fence to go around old corral when I plant that garden this spring. A mile to sled it there and trying to get some of these things done now if I can.

I looked over the piece of land I will make an offer on this coming week. Too much snow to get in there and do much walking. I took a few pictures 3 years ago when I walked in there and I do know what I'm buying and will be a great addition. I hope it works out to buy it will be a nice addition.

There is a steep deep canyon on the place that has a spring where water comes out of the hill. I will try to get a picture of it when a person can walk in there. Last year there was an ice wall on the hill in late spring because it almost never gets any sun being on the north side.
Here are some wagons that sit in there I took a picture in 2020.

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4047 (2).jpg
    IMG_4047 (2).jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 48
A beautiful blue bird day. Went to ranch and took the Snowdog track machine to haul some sheep fence back to the old shop. I will use fence to go around old corral when I plant that garden this spring. A mile to sled it there and trying to get some of these things done now if I can.

I looked over the piece of land I will make an offer on this coming week. Too much snow to get in there and do much walking. I took a few pictures 3 years ago when I walked in there and I do know what I'm buying and will be a great addition. I hope it works out to buy it will be a nice addition.

There is a steep deep canyon on the place that has a spring where water comes out of the hill. I will try to get a picture of it when a person can walk in there. Last year there was an ice wall on the hill in late spring because it almost never gets any sun being on the north side.
Here are some wagons that sit in there I took a picture in 2020.

Looks like a great piece of property - especially if you get the wagon!

^^ I don't think they maybe know there is a wagon there, to be very honest. There is a lot of old turn of the century machinery. There is an old medium size pot belly stove in there in the junk. I have a place for that if all goes with the place. I would very much doubt they would come move this old stuff off. It would cost them a mint and not sure how they would get it transported out. Would have to go through private land and rough land with a few obstacles to cross.

If they do that will be good also, it would be cleaned up than. Most there I would have to leave no way getting it out.

The wagons would need to be taken apart and sledded out in winter.

Look like a nice piece of property.

I loaded the 24" oak trunk on the trailer. We will get some live edge slabs out of it.
https://youtu.be/TNcaFibXWhM

That's a nice log! Should be some interesting grain where those limbs meet. Great video too!

Your videos have inspired me to take down some more trees. 4 maybe 12" dia scrap wood trees. All 4 are impeding my view (and casting ability) to the lake. Should be interesting. 2 are leaning over my dock. 1 has a big hornet's nest in it. DW will not let me tackle this until mid March.

Look like a nice piece of property.

I loaded the 24" oak trunk on the trailer. We will get some live edge slabs out of it.
https://youtu.be/TNcaFibXWhM

Interesting!!!!

Are you going to use those oak slabs or sell them? Are you clearing the land for a purpose or doing maintenance on the property?

I finished setting up an R/C airplane with a pair of "candy droppers" for a Model Aviation Day next August at the flying site. The club holds a series of events that will hopefully attract visitors and potential members. A popular event at other clubs is the "candy drop" using a model airplane to drop wrapped candy on the field so the kids can run out and find it. I used two Pringles potato chip cans to make the "droppers" one on each side of the fuselage and have the lid opened with a servo arm.

I'll still have to do some testing with this as the cans will add a huge amount of drag, I may have to do some cowlings or something to smooth the airflow around them. I'm not too concerned about the weight, this airplane, like many models, is grossly overpowered to begin with so carrying a couple extra pounds won't be the issue. But the drag might be.

Back
Top Bottom