What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

My wife came home yesterday and said the air conditioning fan on our Toyota T-100 quit working. I got on Youtube and found a video showing the position of the fuses to the air conditioning system. I checked them, they were good. Then I searched the 'Toyota Nation Forum' to see if others have had the same dead fan problem, found nothing. Then found a video about how to remove the fan/motor. I found it is behind the glove box. So, I removed the glove box and found the fan motor, and found the power connector. With the key on and the fan switch on I wiggled the connector, the fan came on and went right back off, repeated and got the same result. I unplugged the connector and saw what is shown in the picture below.
Only 3 screws holding the fan motor in, none that I could see, stuck my finger in and thought they were phillips. I tried for a while and just could not get the screws to turn. the heater is at an angle and it was difficult to angle the screwdriver to match the screw, also only enough room for a stubby between the floorboard and the screw head. I'm upside down without enough room, trying every position, got stuck, wondering how I was going to get out. Anyway, I got out, went and got a mirror and found the screws had star heads on them.:facepalm: I got out the star bits and fumbled around long enough to get the 3 screws out. I disassemble the fan assembly and cleaned the motor, lubricated it and cleaned the, over heated, tarnished, spade type lugs. Rather than try to find a new connector, I soldered pig tails to the spade lugs, enlarged the slots the spade lugs went through to make room for the wire and reassembled it. I cut off the burned connector and used wire nuts to connect the wires. I reinstalled the fan motor and made my best attempt at getting the 3 screws tightened up. I had about had enough, it was getting dark, I have all the screws in place and it all works, but this morning I need to try a little more to get the 3 screws snugged up. It would have been a pretty simple repair, if I was 28 rather than 68! :blush:

Attachments

• Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 22
Lubricated all three garage door's track wheels, drive screw, torsion springs. Better now than in January. Still need to get three side seals, they have some tears in them. Next week should bee soon enough.

Laying in bed, starting the recovery process from my inguinal hernia surgery this morning. Looking forward to not feeling the intense pain, but getting damn sick of being laid up. I might have to BTD hiring out my honey-do list. Being limited to lifting 20 lbs doesn't leave much room for getting things done.

Hope you recover well.

Another trip to the pet store for more puppy supplies. Need lots of teething toys and squeaky things. Playing ball in the house and back yard for exercise, as he can't go anywhere until next vaccinations are done.
He gets the zoomies outside, which helps!
Once we get the OK from the vet to start walking and socializing, we will take long walks.

Met my friends for coffee at Whataburger at 6:30 AM.

Watched it rail all morning! (thank you!)

Installed a Ring doorbell at my front door.

Watching the Rangers/Tampa Bay playoff game and it's still raining!

Going on my 2 mile walk tonight with friends and then to the Bar (Ronnie G's) to watch any playoff game that's on a 8:00 PM.

Got the tractor out and reworked about a 100 yards of limestone road on the property nearest the house. I need to do this about twice a year since it gets looking a little rough and it gets to be a bumpy ride. Looks new now and it's smooth as a.... Well you know...

Last edited:
I had a new R/C airplane student and met up at the flying site. He bought a new trainer airplane and it took the better part of an hour to get that trimmed out. It took longer to explain what and why we were doing than to actually do it but eventually the airplane would fly straight & level hands off.

As is common with some new students he was complaining that the airplane was unstable and would bank one way or the other, when what is actually happening is that he's so tense that he doesn't realize he's pushing or pulling on one of the control sticks. This can be shown by establishing straight & level flight and then let go of the sticks. It can take a while to convince some people. But we'll get him trained, hopefully before winter sets in.

Met my friends for coffee at Whataburger at 6:30 AM.

Watched it rail all morning! (thank you!)

Installed a Ring doorbell at my front door.

Watching the Rangers/Tampa Bay playoff game and it's still raining!

Going on my 2 mile walk tonight with friends and then to the Bar (Ronnie G's) to watch any playoff game that's on a 8:00 PM.

It so good see you out and about doing things with your friends. It's not easy so you should pat yourself on the back.

I trapped the remaining two peacocks hanging around my house today, and the owner just came and picked them up. They were in the back of my garage when I went out just to see if they were still hanging around, and it literally took all of 15 seconds for me to herd them into the enclosed stairway. The only real effort today was to tack cardboard over the windows earlier in the day so they wouldn't bash into them thinking it was a way out.

So at least this week I had a good answer to the "What do you do all day now that you're retired?" question.

I worked in my garden for about 4 hours today, closing it up for the season. This evening, the young wife and I went to the Goodspeed Opera House to see a new musical, called "The 12". It was about Jesus' disciples hiding in the upper room after the crucifixion. I found it interesting, although knowledge of the story is presumed, so many may not.

Was a cold blustery day so didn't do much and not what I wanted to do. After lunch I did go take a walk through some land my son owns on the Yellowstone River. I will set up a blind in the next few weeks to do some bow hunting there. I looked over the area to do some fishing but to many trees and steep banks for some fall fishing.

Drove about 130 miles round trip to Bakersfield. Visited a shoe repair place and left my leather MC pants for a couple small patches. Left off DW ring at a jeweler to be resized and picked up later same day. Hit Trader Joe for some good Ale and other things. Tractor Supply for 10 bags of pellet stove pellet fuel. Got stuck in traffic due to construction, Grrr.. Harbor Fright for a new chain saw on a pole just like the one I bought 5 years ago. Probably should have got lunch, but had enough of that! Skipped Target or Walmart and went home. 5 1/2 hours = beer time on arrival.

Hung (learning how to..) some pictures we had in the previous house. Lots of memories popping up. Oh well...:(

Hung (learning how to..) some pictures we had in the previous house. Lots of memories popping up. Oh well...:(

A sad time I am sure, but hold on to those memories, I imagine they are good. :)

Today I am watching a 3 man crew put up our steel garage. At last. Should be done today. Then we need the vehicle door, electricity, and some grading and gravel. Later on some insulation and interior finish. :dance:

Didn't do much today DIL and two GDs spent the night then went 2 hours away to an event for a retiring Doctor. I went to the ranch after they left which was early. The elk have broken and pretty much destroyed the aspen I planted this last spring. I had some replants that were 7 feet tall all broke off to stubs.

Didn't do much today DIL and two GDs spent the night then went 2 hours away to an event for a retiring Doctor. I went to the ranch after they left which was early. The elk have broken and pretty much destroyed the aspen I planted this last spring. I had some replants that were 7 feet tall all broke off to stubs.

Elks say no! Plant something else I guess. :LOL:

One of my new neighbors invited me to ride with him and some old guy friends the other day. Today was the ride. Five Harleys, 2 Gold Wings, and me on a little Suzuki SV650. Those guys rode slow, but in their defense it is a winding twisty road. More suited to my bike. Got breakfast, met a bunch of new old guys, talked about Medicare, and road rash. Etc. :cool:

A rainy, inside day. The young wife is swamped making costumes for the musical that opens next Friday, so I am the cook these days. For dinner, I made potatoes au gratin from scratch, grilled some tenderloin steaks and stir fried some previously blanched and frozen Romano beans from the garden. All washed down with a fine bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. And watermelon fresh from the garden for dessert.

Elks say no! Plant something else I guess. :LOL:

One of my new neighbors invited me to ride with him and some old guy friends the other day. Today was the ride. Five Harleys, 2 Gold Wings, and me on a little Suzuki SV650. Those guys rode slow, but in their defense it is a winding twisty road. More suited to my bike. Got breakfast, met a bunch of new old guys, talked about Medicare, and road rash. Etc. :cool:

That sounded like a great day. Also meeting new people is always a fun thing I have enjoyed.

Our friends got a burn permit and I helped burn some of the clearing debris left over from logging last year. The big fan was a big help.
PXL-20231007-221141992.jpg

I've been working in the garage to turn it into a haunted garage. We are having a party the Saturday before Halloween, we are inviting 60+ friends and neighbors. My spouse's niece is flying in from St. Louis and two friends from Boston are flying in as well. Another friend will be acting as the bartender again this Halloween and she will stay overnight so she can party the night away. They will all be a big help. We will have four 10x10 tents set up to supplement the garage - we always plan for rain on Halloween in the PNW.

One of the tents will be dedicated to a skeleton punk band. I bought the 6ft punk rocker from Costco, it's a fantastic animatronic. I bought inexpensive instruments off Marketplace and have three 5ft ultra poseable skeletons to play in the band, complete with Mohawks and punk clothing. I also have lights and fog machines for the band. None of the neighbors or those coming to the party know what the props are this year. I just hope no one flying in brings covid with them after all this work. I think I started in July this year.

Halloween night about four houses of neighbors put signs on their doors saying they are handing out candy from our house. It's a lot of fun and it has become a fun neighborhood event that people seem to look forward to.

Helen--your Halloween party always sounds fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom