What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Back from a quick 3 day coast trip with my daughter. We have done Mom/daughter trips every few years all of her life.
The weather was gorgeous, 70 degrees even at sunset! Unusual for the Oregon coast. The day we left, the typical fog and wind came in.

I also changed oil on my pickup for the first time since I owned it in 2009. Saved about 60$.

Will be heading to the high country for an evening bow hunt.

I read this as you changed the oil yourself for the 1st time,instead of paying someone else and thereby saving $60.00:facepalm:

Doing our Fall/Winter trip planning today …

Have a week in Boston coming up later this month. Daughter has an apartment there and will be out of town for a week. Using her place as free lodging for the week while we explore Boston. Looking at events happening in Boston that week.

And Instead of hosting the large extended family Thanksgiving event, wifey and I are escaping to Belize (Ambergris Caye) Thanksgiving week. Just booked hotel and air this morning. Need to reserve a golf cart and all set.

In January we are packing up for a couple weeks for Costa Rica. Have a condo in Tamarindo rented for a week and mapping out the second week.

And finally, if my brother and SIL get motivated, might head down to Cancun for a week in February. We’ve arranged that trip for many years and now passing the torch to see if they are motivated enough to pick it up and do the planning. Wifey & I are tossing around alternative destination for just the two of us in case the Cancun trip with Brother & SIL doesn’t materialize.

I also changed oil on my pickup for the first time since I owned it in 2009. Saved about 60$.

I read this as you changed the oil yourself for the 1st time,instead of paying someone else and thereby saving $60.00:facepalm:

That's funny! At first I read it as he changed the oil for the first time since 2009. But that would either have saved a lot more than $60, or cost a lot more than $60.

A monumental event, moved the furnace's control thermostat's lever from off to heat, set at 70F for room temperature..

Laying in bed, starting the recovery process from my inguinal hernia surgery this morning. Looking forward to not feeling the intense pain, but getting damn sick of being laid up. I might have to BTD hiring out my honey-do list. Being limited to lifting 20 lbs doesn't leave much room for getting things done.

Pay attention to that 20 pound limit. About 20 years ago a guy up here didn't and it cost him his life. He bled to death.

I'm pretty sure the reason I have the hernia is from ignoring the 20 lb limit before when I started doing peritoneal dialysis. 40 lb, pffft! I learn slow, buy I do learn. As I told DW when she went out of town today for awhile, I'll be a good boy.

Was a busy day from the start. Blow out my sprinkler system, got well motor pulled off of well, and got everything ready for winter. Then I went and mowed for 4 hours at the research center and decided to stop and go fishing on the Yellowstone River till dark. I stopped at the ranch for a quick look and just got home.

Was a busy day from the start. Blow out my sprinkler system, got well motor pulled off of well, and got everything ready for winter. Then I went and mowed for 4 hours at the research center and decided to stop and go fishing on the Yellowstone River till dark. I stopped at the ranch for a quick look and just got home.

Where do you get so much energy, Street? I would probably be done for the day shortly after the sprinkler system. :LOL:

I ran out to start the fire back up, and then to the office to try out the repaired adapter for the 16K trailer. It was still not right. I got brake and turn signals working and drug it out to Pete's so I could work on it while attending the fire. We fiddled around all day with that, and finally got it sorted out. I kept up with the fire, and also reinstalled the driver's door seal with contact cement. I knocked a few things off the dump truck's list.
I swapped the bottom seats as the driver's side was holey with cigarette burns from the previous operator.

The puppy keeps us busy every day! Forgot how much energy those little stinkers have, so we are outside playing in the rain many times daily. Can't go beyond our property to risk exposure until his next vaccines are done. Can't wait for that so we can do our walks.
We sure have BTD on all of the paraphernalia, the folks at Petco smile when I walk in almost daily for some new toy to keep him occupied or play fetch with! :)

I started the morning with rebuilding the fire one last time, went to the office to find out they wanted that excavator mobilized to a site in anticipation of getting started. That tossed a wrench in my plans, so I went back and did what I could, pressure washed the machine, and hauled it up the valley to the job.
It's about 68,000 pounds with the buckets and compactor in the dump bed, give or take.
PXL-20210528-222349975.jpg

I spent 5 hours out at my garden today, fully closing it up for the winter. I harvested the last of the watermelon, the beets and carrots and dug up all the sweet potatoes. Then I pulled all the weeds and tilled the beds. Gathered up all my tools and stuff and brought it home. The only thing left for this year is to sow the garlic in November.

The builder of my new home sent the sheetrock and painting crews over to do some remedial fix up (minor) in two rooms. They were very professional and friendly and got everything fixed.

Not one of them spoke a word of English. But with hand signals and pointing at stuff, all was completed.

Of course, none of them spoke a word of Lithuanian like I do. So we are even!:LOL:

They even gave me a gallon of Sherwin Williams of wall paint.:cool:

Went to Burts Pumpkin farm with our DGD yesterday for our annual trip. We have been taking her up there since she was 4 years old and she will be 12 in 2 months. It still warms this old heart when she calls to ask if we are going to go again this year. I realize that as she gets closer to her teen years these times will be gone probably. We loaded the wheelbarrow with 1 large orange ,1medium white, & 4 smaller pumpkins for her to carve and paint. We then headed down the road to B J Reece apple house to continue the tradition & go apple picking with her. This farm has expanded from a simple side of the road apple house to a full blown experience in its self. Petting zoo,apple cannon,giant farm slide,cornbox (like a sandbox but with dried corn),and of course picking the apples from the tree. What a great day! I am thinking this morning that next year we might forego the picking to just buying in the store. I am sore from all the extra exercise we got, but still a great day of memories made.

The builder of my new home sent the sheetrock and painting crews over to do some remedial fix up (minor) in two rooms. They were very professional and friendly and got everything fixed.

Not one of them spoke a word of English. But with hand signals and pointing at stuff, all was completed.

Of course, none of them spoke a word of Lithuanian like I do. So we are even!:LOL:

They even gave me a gallon of Sherwin Williams of wall paint.:cool:
Paint is so expensive easy days.

Hope you are enjoying that new home.

Paint is so expensive easy days.

Hope you are enjoying that new home.

Thanks, yes, it's a nicely built, smaller house that's very energy efficient. I like living here so far. It's a bit away from my friends, but not too bad to get there to visit.

Watching DGS, age 4, this afternoon. We will be busy with both puppy and little boy!

Interesting experience yesterday. Got something in the mail from MRI Simmons, and even though it looked like it might be junk mail, I opened it anyway. Two one-dollar bills were attached to the letter, which got my attention right away. It was a "Survey of the American Consumer" telling me I was randomly selected to participate.

I looked them up and it's really legitimate.
Respondents do not opt-in to the survey; rather, they are randomly selected using address-based probabilistic sampling. This gold-standard sampling methodology provides marketers with nationally representative insights that are not prone to many of the biases found in online convenience panels.

I went online and took their survey, not a big deal and largely devoted to what media sources you use. At the end of it, they sent me a $25 Amazon gift certificate and asked if I would be willing to do a follow-up survey for a $50 gift certificate. Why not?

I had never heard of this before. Wonder if anyone else has done it?

I did something like that several years ago, although I don't recall any follow up survey. I'm sure I would have agreed, because I have plenty of opinions and don't mind sharing them.

Bike race yesterday. Raced in the 35 year old category. Never a threat for the podium but felt good being the old guy hanging in the middle of the pack with the much younger crowd.

Racing again this weekend.

Drove to lake with kayak strapped to roof. The launch area had so much pond scum, could almost walk on it. Passed, headed to coffe shop. Then came home. Maybe next week wind direction will shift and move the stuff out of the launch area.

Went down to the R/C club flying site in Winchester, VA for flying airplanes. I was supposed to meet a student there but he got a flu shot yesterday and was having a reaction to it so scratch that. Wish I'd known or I'd have brought some more airplanes but we all still had fun. There were about five or six of us retirees and between flights we solve the problems of the world. I also put a video camera on the two airplanes I did bring (one is the trainer for the student) and got some halfway decent videos. The leaves are changing visibly from the air and in another few weeks will peak. In one of the videos I was "chasing" another trainer and got some halfway decent shots. The image below is a frame grab from one of them.

Attachments

• Chasing AeroScout_1.jpg
    Chasing AeroScout_1.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 56
No surprise.

A quick dishwasher install has migrated to a get rid of that garbage disposal, rework the plumbing, and put in an electric receptacle under the sink because the new dishwasher is not hardwired and hardwired is no longer recommended for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom