What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

I have been working on 2 of my digitizing projects - music and photos. Turntable hooked up to one PC to record selected tracks from my vinyl records. Printer scanner and smartphone over the network to another PC to scan photos. I have gotten into a good rhythm of moving between both setups to multitask and keep both activities going at the same time. There are also health benefits - I am adding to my daily step count going back and forth between the two setups :LOL:.

Like most days, I cooked brown rice, broccoli, and chicken to take to the local animal shelter to feed the ultra skinny dogs. This homecooked stuff supplements the kibbles that the shelter provide help them get from hip bones protruding and all the ribs showing to looking like a normal dog in about a month or two. I go to the shelter most days. It's rewarding to see how much the dogs appreciate some extra food and something that are a bit more tasty than the same dry kibbles that they always get. After that, I went home and spoil my own dogs (both rescues) and my cat, then practiced the piano, tried a new recipe for dinner (it turned out great! will make again), dinner, and now reading all the interesting stuff on our Forum here. Have a great night everyone!

I've purchased a couple of those myself for the same reason. I suspect the high price is at least partly because of the shipping volume they take up, and the shelf space. And, of course, they do have to make a buck or two at it.

Yeah, I guess I paid for a good bit of air that shipped in the can.:D

Like most days, I cooked brown rice, broccoli, and chicken to take to the local animal shelter to feed the ultra skinny dogs. This homecooked stuff supplements the kibbles that the shelter provide help them get from hip bones protruding and all the ribs showing to looking like a normal dog in about a month or two. I go to the shelter most days. It's rewarding to see how much the dogs appreciate some extra food and something that are a bit more tasty than the same dry kibbles that they always get. After that, I went home and spoil my own dogs (both rescues) and my cat, then practiced the piano, tried a new recipe for dinner (it turned out great! will make again), dinner, and now reading all the interesting stuff on our Forum here. Have a great night everyone!

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite posts.

Cheers!

I made a small outing yesterday to return a trailer I had borrowed before covid gave me the smackdown. I wanted it off my truck so I could get it under the roof before the torrential rains last night.

I made a big batch of hummer juice for the feeders. The weather took a big plunge and they will need it.
My family had a chat on Monday morning about rescheduling the getaway for this weekend. I had my doubts that it would be possible and I was prepared to eat that expense, but we all decided on November 10 and when I requested on AirBnB, we got an immediate confirmation. That was really nice!
I have had about enough of laying low, and I will go check out a job that I can do Thursday or Friday.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite posts.

Cheers!

Mine too! What a good deed Retire2013 is doing.

Good on you for doing that!

Rainy day here.
Played fetch out in the rain with puppy this morning to tire him out. One more week he will get his last shots, then vet says two weeks later to build up immunity before he can go beyond our yard. Can't wait to be able to take him for walks. Starting leash training soon.

First snowstorm of the year. I moved some snow, so it is manageable as it is supposed to continue till Friday morning.

I wanted to hunt this morning but decided to wait and see what tomorrow brings. A wait and see thing now till weather clears.

Last edited:
Urban hiking Savannah Ga. Big old trees, big old buildings. Very nice city.

Savannah is lovely. if you have not explored it head down to the waterfront and check out the Factor's walk and the cobblestone streets made from ballast from the old world.

Savannah is lovely. if you have not explored it head down to the waterfront and check out the Factor's walk and the cobblestone streets made from ballast from the old world.

Yep - We took a guided walking tour and the guide explained the ballast paved streets. Good use for leftover stones.

Did some more sanding on the table project, filled in a big dent/scratch on it, and erected the spray tent for spraying. I was hoping Sherwin-Williams would have a better sale on than they do now but no. So I'll have to decide whether to just pay regular price, buy two gallons of some paint that I might never use all of, or wait for a better sale when this one runs out. I'm leaning toward the latter. In the meantime I can spray the primer on the table and spray a clear topcoat on a small utility cabinet that I bought via Craigslist and painted a while back. I wish I'd taken before & after photos of that one because it looked pretty rugged when I bought it and it looks nice now. I was going to see if I could flip it but decided to keep it.

MC Rider don’t know the issue but check the web to place the frig in diagnostic mode or call LG factory service.

I will have to look into the diagnostic mode.

Pacergal LG said, website will have a "locate local service provider" or something like that.
Put in your zip code and get names.
We just recently had a motor replaced on our LG Dishwasher. Service provider was 3 towns away, but came out.

I called LG and got a case # and the same single company they gave me on phone was the same one online.They say, the can't service my area now. I have talked to 6 or 8 other places and they either don't come here or don't service LG. I am by Lake Isabella, and the closest place someone would come from out of town is 40+ miles and at least an hour drive, one way. I understand why they don't want to do it, it's a money loser.

Will try a couple more long shots. and likely end up buying a new fridge. NOT LG! Also have a case open with the home warranty company as we have not been here a year yet and will see how that pans out. New $2500 fridge for free please! :LOL:

Sprayed a coat of primer on the table and immediately saw the tannin seeping through. Dang! Oh well, off to Lowes for some Zinsser shellac-based primer in a spray can. It still showed through the first coat and I just sprayed the second, so we'll see how that goes. Also bit the bullet and bought the gallon can of black urethane enamel, with tax just under a c-note.

I went down to check on a job that needs a little backfill. The linemen are working in the street and the alley so I asked them if I could get in there in about an hour and a half. They said they would work it out. Well now I get to sit and watch them work :)

Road trip to Orange Beach today. Breezy here and in the high 70’s. Next week temps around 60 on Wed. My favorite time of the year.

Nice sunny, cool morning here. Happy Friday, but that doesn't mean as much since retired :).
Will go pick up DGS, age 8, from school this afternoon, then Dad/DS will arrive after work and have supper here.

Some great days you all are having.!!

Spent most of morning clearing snow and using a snow rake to clear back side of garage roof. Went and checked the roads up through the pass to see how bad it is. I want to go out hunting and might go midafternoon to see what I can find. The hard part is the hike in with snow now.

Last edited:
Sold a low interest CD (actually made a few bucks with the interest I collected).

Bought 3 and 6 month treasuries for the upcoming auction with the funds.

(upgrading brokerage account)

The young wife and I went rail biking in Megara and stopped later to see the Corinth canal yesterday. Today, we are going to Sparta. 20231027_165204.jpg20231027_132951.jpg

Sharing a very nice story about my highly educated bada$$ cardiac ICU nurse daughter written and published by Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston …..

*“Make an 'L' with your thumb and index finger on your right hand, and hold it up against your right cheek. You’ve just used my name sign: Lindsey. I am a cardiac ICU nurse, and I was born with significant sensorineural hearing loss.

Starting as a toddler, with the support of many dedicated speech and language therapists, I developed excellent speech and honed ninja-like nonverbal communication skills: lip reading, sign language, and reading facial expressions and body language. This nonverbal communication augments the 'sound' that I receive from my cochlear implant and hearing aid. Until I fill them in, the only clue that my co-workers and patients have that there is something different in how I understand their words and communicate with them is in the stethoscope that I wear. It’s a small hockey puck that 'talks' wirelessly to my cochlear implant.

I used my communication skills recently to help a patient and co-worker. A very weak patient was having difficulty speaking and being understood. She could only subtly mouth her words with no sound. A fellow nurse pulled me in and was surprised how easily I was able to understand what the patient was 'saying.' The patient's needs were quickly understood and met, and she rested once again.

Although my loss of hearing is technically a birth defect, I don’t see it that way. I’ve worked hard to develop and enhance alternative communication skills to compensate for my hearing loss. In the end, it is very simple. I hear and see the world differently—and, in some ways, even better than others.”

that's a great article, vintage. My retired RN sister posted a meme on FB yesterday " Due to a labor shortage, anyone dressed up as a slutty nurse has to do a shift during the week of Halloween."

Sharing a very nice story about my highly educated bada$$ cardiac ICU nurse daughter written and published by Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston …..

*“Make an 'L' with your thumb and index finger on your right hand, and hold it up against your right cheek. You’ve just used my name sign: Lindsey. I am a cardiac ICU nurse, and I was born with significant sensorineural hearing loss.

Starting as a toddler, with the support of many dedicated speech and language therapists, I developed excellent speech and honed ninja-like nonverbal communication skills: lip reading, sign language, and reading facial expressions and body language. This nonverbal communication augments the 'sound' that I receive from my cochlear implant and hearing aid. Until I fill them in, the only clue that my co-workers and patients have that there is something different in how I understand their words and communicate with them is in the stethoscope that I wear. It’s a small hockey puck that 'talks' wirelessly to my cochlear implant.

I used my communication skills recently to help a patient and co-worker. A very weak patient was having difficulty speaking and being understood. She could only subtly mouth her words with no sound. A fellow nurse pulled me in and was surprised how easily I was able to understand what the patient was 'saying.' The patient's needs were quickly understood and met, and she rested once again.

Although my loss of hearing is technically a birth defect, I don’t see it that way. I’ve worked hard to develop and enhance alternative communication skills to compensate for my hearing loss. In the end, it is very simple. I hear and see the world differently—and, in some ways, even better than others.”

Amazing!:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom