What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Hauled a couple loads of junk today out of the backyard of our now vacant rental. Two sheds full of old rusty garden tools, some long unused power tools and an array of other rusty junk. Sheds are still standing, but not for long. They’ll go to the dump tomorrow!

It’s a good house for a growing family and don’t want kids to get hurt playing out in the back.

Snowed last night so stayed around home most of the day. Went fishing in the morning for an hour or so and after lunch for another hour. No fish today but a beautiful day on the Yellowstone. I did take two long walks and eat too much. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice picture. We've driven by the Yellowstone in your area but have not stopped. Always in too much of a hurry.
Today we finished up those two runs, and they were sitting there precariously on a slope of pea gravel. I had a plan to stabilize the slope with some 5/8" black gravel that almost looks like asphalt, the site contractor had some in a pile. I laid about 6" over the pea gravel and very gingerly packed it with the hoe pack. That third pipe on the right has to wait for the pool wall to be formed and poured before we can continue with it.
PXL-20240322-170723955.jpg

We had planned to continue with some deep piping at the other end of the job but the site is just not ready. It will be 2-3 weeks before we can come back and do anything. I picked the perfect time to start my pension.

Interesting project. Is this close to the Pier/Waterfront?

Not really, it is 2000' and a 205.5' elevation that they are pumping the water up from the bay. They have been in business there since 1890 and are the premier oyster farmers in the area, innovators in the art of farming shellfish.
It is an interesting job and site. Beautiful wooded site of hundreds of acres. Most of it is just trees.

I went up to the resort this morning with my better-half. No lines, few people and a little bit of fresh snow, so we skied continuously for two hours.

This evening we went to a local charity event related to community mental health. It was a dinner event, we paid and then I got in line for the buffet. That was, until my better half found me and demanded I leave because she's making dinner tonight.

Who passes on a taco bar?! Especially after you paid, but she's working on something special in the kitchen right now.

Wrapped up winter mountain bike points race series this weekend. Ended up in second place in this year’s series. This weekends race course was very muddy … and very fun.

Headed over to the vacant rental home with Sawz-All in hand!

Previous owner of the home bought and installed a very large decorative water wheel in the backyard. It was driven by an electric motor and had flowers in all the buckets.

It’s now rotten, a hazard and has to go. If house gets rented to a family don’t want kids playing on this rotten thing!!!

After the waterwheel is demo’d and removed and the two now empty storage sheds are gone, that’s it for the yard junk. Tree service is coming in next week to remove two hazard trees hanging over the home.

All-in, repairs, painting, tree-removal, cleaning is running right at $3k to get the home back into move-in ready condition.

My wife has decided that she wants to level up in pickleball from 3.0, so we have been drilling once or twice per week. Some of her pickleball ladies have noticed the difference, so today two other ladies joined us for drilling at 7:30 a.m. I didn't ask for anything in return, but I received a batch of dark chocolate cookies with a hint of hot peppers. It was fun, and the cookies are really good.

Today's drill focused on "making Bangers uncomfortable." Bangers are players that try to hit every shot hard. When we started, the other two ladies were flinching at drives. By the time we finished, they were leaning forward at the kitchen line, keeping the ball in front of them. It may turn into a weekly thing.

Snowed last night so stayed around home most of the day. Went fishing in the morning for an hour or so and after lunch for another hour. No fish today but a beautiful day on the Yellowstone. I did take two long walks and eat too much. Lol

So beautiful, thank you for sharing.

DH and I are meeting a friend for happy hour (we call it HH) and supper today, at our local steakhouse. I am ready to get out of the house.

Went out for a walk which I need to do more often. Ended up talking to the retired electrician neighbor up the hill for a while.

Cut boards to frame 3 windows. One was 1/4" too wide so I re read the instructions on the table saw Dad gave me a while back, and ripped it to the right width. First time using a table saw and it went easy. Decided that was enough and will prime paint them tomorrow. Put them up later and do the other windows too.

house cleaning day later this morning, then dinner with siblings and we will talk about planning a trip together this fall. Bro in law is off chemo for now and feeling well, so hope to get some travel in.

Had a little snow again so I decided to go spend the day at the ranch. I cut some timber down and got a spot ready for squash and pumpkins to plant in about one month. I will clear and cut grass along a water way and plant them there this year. I will layout black plastic cut some slits and plant. They will get moisture from the running creek all summer.

I eat lunch there and took a short walk to take a few pictures. There is a lot of higher points with different angles but just went up a little way for picture or two.

The Yellowstone River was so beautiful today. Turkeys are becoming more vocal and mating ritual has start somewhat already. It was cold here high about 20 degrees. Was a little foggy driving in to ranch this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 11
  • MFDC0583.jpg
    MFDC0583.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 11
We took a day trip to DC to wander around the Tidal Basin, cherry trees, Cherry Blossom Festival, Washington Monument, and Jefferson/FDR/MLK Jr./WWII memorials. It started out a little chilly but by early afternoon the sun was out and it was comfortable enough to walk around without our coats. According to fitbit we walked 7+ miles, yay for us!:). It was DW's heaviest day walking since her ankle has healed, and she felt very good.

Nothing was crowded by our standards. Metro ridership still seems around about half of its pre-pandemic level. It was easy to find parking in the metro garage on any level. Our train car going peaked at maybe 20 people, and peaked at about 10 on the return.

About 2 weeks ago my son bought a fixer upper a block from my home. I've spent almost everyday since then fixing it up. I removed the washer, dryer and water heater from the utility room and took down all the old wood paneling that was falling apart. I installed 5 new outlets, wired a couple of light switches, and reinstalled an outdoor light. I put in batt insulation, and of course I'm one, 8ft piece short and in comes 11 pieces in a bag at $95 a bag. :)

I put in batt insulation, and of course I'm one, 8ft piece short and in comes 11 pieces in a bag at $95 a bag. :)

There's always someone selling partial bags of insulation on Marketplace or other internet selling sites.

Today is the last puppy obedience training class. We can sign up for more if needed, but he is doing well and learns quickly (golden retrievers and poodles are both known to be intelligent/quick learners).

About 2 weeks ago my son bought a fixer upper a block from my home. I've spent almost everyday since then fixing it up. I removed the washer, dryer and water heater from the utility room and took down all the old wood paneling that was falling apart. I installed 5 new outlets, wired a couple of light switches, and reinstalled an outdoor light. I put in batt insulation, and of course I'm one, 8ft piece short and in comes 11 pieces in a bag at $95 a bag. :)

There's always someone selling partial bags of insulation on Marketplace or other internet selling sites.

Yeah, and one of them is now named Time2! :LOL:

Yeah, and one of them is now named Time2! :LOL:

Nope, I just loaded the bags in my van, I'll be returning them to Lowes. I'll also be returning 10 sheets of plywood I bought just in case the roofers needed to do some deck replacement. The roofers started tearing the asphalt shingles off today and the underlying decking was in poor condition, looks like closer to 50 sheets. Looks like the $17,500 quote just jumped to closer to $23,000. So far only looked at one side, I hope the other side is better.

I was up there saw the condition of the plywood, not good. It had a new roof installed a little over 5 years ago, who ever did it, had to know they were covering bad wood. It was after hurricane Micheal, and there were 1000s of roofs being replaced, so anybody that could get a license was replacing roofs, some good, some flyby night.

Back
Top Bottom