What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Spent the day working on one of our now vacant rentals. Light electrical repairs, painting and a little plumbing too. House has a huge back party deck … which consumed 10-gal of Home Depot’s finest stain!

Now trying to get the stain off my hands and then will get geared up for a workout on my gravel bike.

We had our mailbox taken out twice at our last place. The first time a guy towing a speedboat lost his trailer and it hit the mailbox. I was in my home office and heard the noise like wtf!? Stood up and watched the boat trailer wreck my mailbox. I laugh because the guy bought us a new one. His boat and trailer were fine. :LOL:

Today a motorcycle ride, first one in 3 weeks. Come on warmer dry weather!

Brother wanted to reconstruct new one with masonry block and make it “indestructible”. We settled on a simple box sitting on a 4x4 post so that if an errant driver … Or snow plow … hits it it’ll simply knock the box over with only minor damage to car and driver. You don’t want to construct a big immovable object right up next to the road! (I’m a traffic engineer and spent part of my career doing collision investigations and have investigated the results of vehicle/roadside object collisions many times).

Back when I was working the high school kids often played the "game" of "mailbox polo" which as the name suggests involved seeing how many mailboxes they could knock off posts while driving by. I always thought a suitable cure for it would be to set a 10 foot I beam in the ground and weld a boiler plate mailbox to it, then paint it a pretty shade blue or something. But I always figured the people who did that sort of thing deserved whatever happened to them when they hit an immovable object.

Today I sprayed out seven gallons of weed killer from a four gallon backpack sprayer, then spread out five bags of lawn fertilizer. Now I'm tired. Maybe next year I'll hire that out.

Street, do you carry bear spray and a weapon? I worry about you out there all alone!

I do carry a pistol. I think about that, but I don't worry about it either. Got back late afternoon and had no service till I climbed up high and did get a location texted to my wife. I eat lunch right there and she answered with an OK.

Lion would be my biggest concern or a broken leg, but I never leave without someone knowing my area for the day. Heading out tomorrow morning again in another place I hike every spring. I look for horn sheds it has been an activity I have done all my life.

About mailboxes... up here in the North country we have a fixed pole with a free swinging post affixed to the mailbox....it's available from our county for a minimal cost.

Since we are on a county road we were greatly encourage to install one due to possible snowplow damage. The downside is the plows don't even slow down and just wack our mailbox..ya can't win...

One of the unheralded benefits of living in town - the mail carrier comes up on the porch and leaves the mail in the box attached to the wall right outside the front door. All I have to do is open the door a crack and reach into the box to get it.

One of the unheralded benefits of living in town - the mail carrier comes up on the porch and leaves the mail in the box attached to the wall right outside the front door. All I have to do is open the door a crack and reach into the box to get it.

We used to live in a house where the mail slot was in the front door. I thought it was decoration, but came home from work and the mail was lying on the floor inside. It felt a bit weird at first, especially when I was in the living room watching tv and see the hand and mail slip into the slot! But got to know the mailman while we lived there, same guy for the 2 years we were there, nice guy.

25F this morning. Went for coffe, getting home, snow flurry startd to fall.
Fired up the woodstove.
Yesterday a fun Milonguero class.

Back when I was working the high school kids often played the "game" of "mailbox polo" which as the name suggests involved seeing how many mailboxes they could knock off posts while driving by.
Couple stories from 50 and 40 years ago. In our group, on of the guys thought it was a good idea to randomly knock off someones mailbox with his arm. Emergency room and a cast on his arm was the result. A real genius!
I had a rental and was having the tenant evicted, the police were there and he was complaining about the $23 mail box he had installed. I said take it! I bought a perfectly fine standard mail box for $3 and installed it. But I had some trepidation that my tenant might be back. The post for the mail box was already a cut off section of a telephone pole. I cut a 2 x 8 to fit in the underside of the mailbox. Then I used four 6" lag bolts to screw the cut 2 x 8 onto the telephone pole post, and eight 3-1/2 " screws to hold the mailbox to the cut 2 x 8. It was just a few days and the mail box had a dent in it, but it didn't go anywhere. I'll bet it was a surprise when he hit it! :dance: Guy was a jerk, said he knew the system and it would take me 6 months to get him out. It didn't.

We used to live in a house where the mail slot was in the front door. I thought it was decoration, but came home from work and the mail was lying on the floor inside. It felt a bit weird at first, especially when I was in the living room watching tv and see the hand and mail slip into the slot! But got to know the mailman while we lived there, same guy for the 2 years we were there, nice guy.

The first (and only) house my parents owned had that. We thought it was a great change from the apartment building we moved from, where all the mail boxes were just inside the inner door of the vestibule, but still seemed to get break-in attempts several times a month.

Got new tires installed for the Caddy. And the wonder of technology:Got email notice of flat tires on the car via email while the old ones were removed.

Heading to second puppy training class today. The clouds and rain are starting back up, so a good day to be inside for a bit with the dog, it is a private class, so he has the whole gym area to explore while learning!

A stay at home day but took a walk this morning and will do the same afternoon. I been hitting the back country hiking for 4 days straight so feels good just doing odds and ends at home.

Got sourdough ready for a bake in the morning and made a buttercup squash for the next few days to eat.

Snow coming later today and will be a snowy wet 4 days predicted. Thats okay I will catchup on other thing to do.

Mail delivered within 20 miles of your house:confused: Amazing!

About 30 years ago I installed a front door mail slot so when I was out of town my mail would be safe inside the house. I still have it but a couple of years ago I bolted a fairly large locking mail box to the wall next to the door so the mail would be safe but I could secure the storm door to keep the animals from getting out.
with all the "Porch Pirates" stealing packages I don't trust people enough to have my mail at the edge of my front lawn.

This morning I dug a couple of post holes so I could eventually install some PT 4x4s to attach shade cloth over the cars. It was slow going with the post hole digger since my left wrist and shoulder are arthritic. I was hoping to get down to 3 feet to put in a 10 foot 4x4 but had to stop at 2.5 when I hit water. I live a couple of blocks from the ocean and the water table is high so this was expected although I was hoping to get a little deeper for more stability.

Dropped off DW early this morning to her friends house, she and several other women are going on a roadtrip to hang out for a few days in the wilds of southern Virginia, to visit some other friends who moved there years ago. She needs a break from trying to manage the health resources for her mother and uncle (and probably a break from me, but she is too kind to say it :)).

I've spent the day working on the home computing network (unfortunately will have to send back the mesh router I thought would be an upgrade, it has other problems) while finishing up my NCAA brackets and watching the first round of games. Heading out later to meet our youngest son and a few friends for dinner and watching the early evening games at a sports bar & restaurant.

Yesterday and today we put some bigger pipe into a seafood processing facility for cleaning live oysters.
Our company did the first building in the background for them 4 years ago.
PXL-20240320-215738732.jpg

It was too heavy to handle, I hoisted it all for them with the excavator.

PXL-20240320-205109680.jpg

Between sets I called my pension administration and got the ball rolling.

^ interesting!!! That pipe you installed is that for water for the plant?

Was at the dentist by 815, left at 9 short 2 teeth and about $900. While in town found a deal on a few carrots. So got home and went to work canning 5 gallons worth, and still have about 10 Lbs left. not bad for $23.

^ interesting!!! That pipe you installed is that for water for the plant?

The heavy pipe is seawater supply with a working pressure of 90 PSI.
It runs down through bins with the oysters in the braillers or net bags. They get cleaned out over time, and then go to the plant for either fresh sales or shucking.

The heavy pipe is seawater supply with a working pressure of 90 PSI.
It runs down through bins with the oysters in the braillers or net bags. They get cleaned out over time, and then go to the plant for either fresh sales or shucking.

Interesting project you are working on. Thanks

I went to our cabin for the first time since early December to see how it wintered. No damage and no evidence of critters. I turned the heat back up from 6C to 16C so it will be warm for our next visit.

Back
Top Bottom