What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Went with an old neighbor friend this afternoon and picked up the rescue dog I have adopted. He doesn't mind the car (good thing) and he immediately fell in love with the couch (after his tour of the entire house and back yard).

View attachment 47588

What a cutie and such a Lucky little guy to have found you for his new "dog dad"
Enjoy

I scanned a bunch of old photos I found in my mom's things and uploaded some to my family tree on Ancestry.com. Once I get a few more things uploaded, I'll invite a couple people with trees having the same last name to check out what I have, though I think the website will send them hints to look at my tree when it sees the common ancestors.

The tree I'm working on is for my adoptive family, and I'm hoping to also connect with some bio family members. I did the DNA test and have matches for cousins, but have got only one response so far. She's checking with family members to see if they know anything about me—Baby Jane Doe—who was adopted out. I wish I'd done the DNA test sooner. There is a person with a 27% match listed as a close relative, but they haven't been active on the site for several years.

Looks like a great pup, Aja. :cool:

Street, that looks like a heavy pack. I don't think I could keep up with you on a hiking trail. :LOL:

Yesterday for me, a hike. Tail end of the group. Today a solo MC ride. Tomorrow it's time to get organizing the new garage.

ugh. not doing much of anything, no energy, dealing with a cold/congestion/cough. X2 negative covid tests, will test again tomorrow.
In the meantime, hot tea, rest, Zicam.

Bizarre one today. Got a check in the mail from USAA for $1.00.

The letter with it said that the T&C for a CD I had with them back in 2012 were not accurate. The payment represents the interest they owed me plus 26 cents compensation for lost use of funds.

Wonder how many bucks it cost them to mail me that check. :facepalm:

Have a little part-time consulting gig … basically finding $$$ for underfunded or over budget public works projects. Like doing this work and usually ends up as an excuse to catch up with friends in various agencies in State and Federal government.

Made a bunch of calls yesterday and have a videoconference later this morning.

Installed an adjustable Power Twist V belt on my table saw after I found that the motor was missing the 3/16 inch square key for the pulley on the motor shaft. I was lucky to find one at Ace hardware. After wet sanding rust and cleaning all parts I was finally able to get everything back together with the new belt. Only took 2.5 hours with all the running around. I thought installing the new belt would be a 5 minute job. :facepalm:

Cheers!

I'm awaiting the arrival of the third of three HVAC companies I've asked to price out replacing my heat pump system. The blower motor on our existing system gave out after 13+ years of use and I've decided to replace it instead of investing any $ in repairs. It is nice to be able to take my time on getting estimates when the weather is nice and we're not freezing or roasting and in a rush to get it done.

I was hoping to take advantage of the $2,000 IRS tax break offered on heat pump systems. However, I'm not sure that makes economic sense as it appears the high efficiency systems that qualify for the tax credit are significantly more expensive than a mid-grade efficient system. Even though numbers is hard, even I can calculate that the added savings on my electric bill won't be enough to recover the added cost over the life of the unit, even after applying the $2K credit. Seems like there is aways a catch...

Last edited:
Just had a phone meeting with the Foster Mom who has the rescue Terrier/Schnauzer mix I may adopt tomorrow (from Camo Rescue). He's just been neutered and had the cone removed from his head just before she sent me this photo.

He's a year and a half old and a spunky 12 pounds. It's been almost two months since I had to put my 10 year old Terrier mix down and maybe this guy will cheer me up. It's pretty lonely around here with no wife or companion. Tomorrow afternoon is set up for my visit to his foster home.

View attachment 47560

What a cute little guy. I am so happy for you. I volunteer with an animal rescue in Socal. It always makes me so glad to hear of an adoption. He looks so smart and inquisitive, how about considering Sherlock for his name?

Answered a call from a local number I didn't recognize, which is something I normally wouldn't do were I not getting estimates and calls from several HVAC companies. When I answered the caller said, "Grandpa?" in a voice similar to but slightly different than that of our oldest grandson (25). I responded with "Grant?" to which he replied "I broke my nose".

Even with a broken nose I knew this wasn't his voice. Rather than play along and hear what the scammer had to say - which no doubt involved sending money, I hung up. And in case you think I should have stayed on the line longer to be sure it wasn't actually him, he never calls me, always his Grandma. :)

Pulled logs out of the trees, loaded them on forks attached to a tractor loader, and piled them up at a neighbor's place. Did all that while it was snowing. Now enjoying a cup of moca before I fire up the wood stove for the evening.

Watched the movie "Gilda" with Rita Hayworth on youtube. I'd always heard of the movie, and that it was a classic. Meh.

Busy day preparing for winter. Changed out the screens for glass in my storm doors. Removed and stored the window A/C units. This year, I made a strong storage shelf in the bedroom closet so I can leave that one up there instead of lugging it up and down the stairs every year. I'm not getting any stronger.

After lunch, I went out and mulched and bagged leaves with the lawn mower. Collected six large bags of them, which I then drove out and spread over my vegetable garden. They complemented the 12 bags I put out there two days ago. I have several more weeks of leaf duty ahead.

Finally, I brought my potted fig tree into the garage for the winter and moved it into a larger pot. It gave me about 20 figs this year and I'm hoping for more next year. Oddly, the one in the ground that I leave outside and bundle with burlap every fall looks really healthy and is getting large, but it has yet to produce a fig after more than 5 years.

Pulled logs out of the trees, loaded them on forks attached to a tractor loader, and piled them up at a neighbor's place. Did all that while it was snowing. Now enjoying a cup of moca before I fire up the wood stove for the evening.
Good stuff. I also dragged some logs out of the woods and cut them a few days ago. They are for next year's burn.
Test ran my house's gasoline generator, works fine. Need to top off the gas tank. Blew off a bunch leafs into garden bed.

IIRC you had a soapstone woodstove install. How is it working out?

Last edited:
We had a lot of snow but it all has melted away in the last 3 or 4 days. So, I went the ranch and replanted a dozen ash trees I dug up a day ago and planted them in an area I want a row of trees.

I mudded them in and hoping for a good start for them in the spring. Still wanting to bow hunt and the weather will be in the 40 and 50's for about the next 10 days so should be good for bow hunting.

What a cute little guy. I am so happy for you. I volunteer with an animal rescue in Socal. It always makes me so glad to hear of an adoption. He looks so smart and inquisitive, how about considering Sherlock for his name?

I'll put Sherlock on the list we are putting together. Before we go to the Vet we will pick a name. Thanks!

Ordered a new fridge to replace the dead unit, which will be delivered tomorrow, or maybe Friday. Local store gave us a way better price than Home Doh or Lowes. Plus they are local and the big boxes not so much. Glad I stopped in there. :cool:

Good stuff. I also dragged some logs out of the woods and cut them a few days ago. They are for next year's burn.
Test ran my house's gasoline generator, works fine. Need to top off the gas tank. Blew off a bunch leafs into garden bed.

IIRC you had a soapstone woodstove install. How is it working out?

I have a couple of cords or more split and stacked at my place. Enough for a couple of years. The first couple of years I put the soap stone stove to the test. No ceiling in the house. It was burning at 600 degrees most nights and all day too. Now it runs between 300 and 400 on cold nights and gets the place a bit too warm for me, but the heat lasts until about 6:00 in the morning. I am quite pleased with it and still get comments on it from visitors.

After work last night I drove 6 hours across the mountains to my buddy's place in eastern Washington. I got here about 11:00.
Today we're pouring his concrete foundation walls for his log cabin. I brought the long vibrator for it and have been up on the scaffold plank preparing stuff.
I thought he was doing this all by himself which would be insane, but he did have a couple of young concrete guys that he found at the last minute.
As soon as they're done with that long vibrator I'm leaving!
PXL-20231109-162447434.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a good part of the day at my gun club since it looks to be the last day of weather in the upper 70's for a while. Took my battery powered leaf blower to clear the range of leaves so I could find my brass since I reload. Had a great time except one hiccup where I left a 100 round box of ammo at home when I got distracted packing my gear. Fortunately I still had plenty to amuse myself with for the afternoon. It was a beautiful day in Georgia.

After work last night I drove 6 hours across the mountains to my buddy's place in eastern Washington. I got here about 11:00.
Today we're pouring his concrete foundation walls for his log cabin. I brought the long vibrator for it and have been up on the scaffold plank preparing stuff.
I thought he was doing this all by himself which would be insane, but he did have a couple of young concrete guys that he found at the last minute.
As soon as they're done with that long vibrator I'm leaving!
PXL-20231109-162447434.jpg

That is a great view. I love building and it such a person rewarding feeling for me. Thanks for sharing your day.

That is a great view. I love building and it such a person rewarding feeling for me. Thanks for sharing your day.

Yes, interesting shot. I guess the cabin will go on a raised foundation. :)

We got a new fridge installed today. And the landscape guys brought and spread out another 3 yards of pea gravel, plus graded the dirt road in back a bit. Progress.

Back
Top Bottom