What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I'm expecting a package via USPS today; it showed up in Informed Delivery this morning as expected (my only expected mail today as it happens) and the tracking status earlier today was "out for delivery." Yet again, as I watched the mailman stop at my box at the curb and seem to take several minutes futzing around with something, nothing was delivered and the status changed to "held at customer request" as I watched him drive off. Did I say, "yet again?!"

Sounds like it didn't fit in the mailbox and he didn't feel like making the long, arduous trek to your door.

I'm expecting a package via USPS today; it showed up in Informed Delivery this morning as expected (my only expected mail today as it happens) and the tracking status earlier today was "out for delivery." Yet again, as I watched the mailman stop at my box at the curb and seem to take several minutes futzing around with something, nothing was delivered and the status changed to "held at customer request" as I watched him drive off. Did I say, "yet again?!"

FedEx frequently delivers our neighbors packages to our house. In an attempt to reduce this, we replaced the original 3" high address numbers on our mailbox with new ones, and also added 5" high numbers on the side. There's no excuse for getting the address wrong now. Ironically, I saw a FedEx truck pull in our driveway the following day. He stopped, backed out, then drove up to our neighbors house. Maybe it worked. :)

USPS usually gets the address right, but a few days after adding the larger numbers on our box, our carrier delivered someone else's mail to us. Different road, different number, not even close. It was all their mail that day, so theirs didn't accidentally get stuck between ours.

Sheesh... They've got ONE job to do...

Sounds like it didn't fit in the mailbox and he didn't feel like making the long, arduous trek to your door.

Our mail carrier usually drives down and places packages on our front porch. While it saves me a trip to town, if we have any other loose mail, they set it on TOP of the package. Ignoring the fact this leaves sensitive mail in the open instead of in our locking mailbox, it would only take a gust of wind to blow the mail into the yard or under our deck. Would it be so much to ask to put the package on TOP of the loose mail to hold it down?

The is the first day, unless I never noticed it before, that Internet Explorer opens some webpages, including YouTube and some news sites, in Edge. You can't view them in IE. A notice mentioned some IE mode setting in Edge which I can't find. It probably doesn't have full IE controls like a restricted sites list. Last I checked, the modern browsers with a restricted sites list require a plugin with the typical warnings like "this plugin will do whatever it damn well pleases especially if it invades your privacy and changes the webpages you want to open." With my restricted sites list I was able to quickly view news articles without media and all kinds of slow loading things and pop-ups. Those days are over.

File this under generic price increases, I guess. My quarterly water bill now has a new $15 storm water runoff fee. Flat rate, for every single family residence. $15 per quarter, times 4 equals $60 per year. Affordable, but annoying, because I am not causing the runoff. It's all the new (and unwanted by most folks) building, most of it huge industrial sites with huge parking lots. So they make the homeowners, who have almost no runoff, pay for those new and unwanted industrial sites. What a deal! Glad I can be of help with my $60 a year forever! (sarcasm) They may have an even higher fee for those industrial sites, I don't know. Or maybe none, since it is 'progress', which must not be discouraged, lol. (sarcasm) Rant over. Thanks for listening.

People who take photos and video in portrait mode on their phones. We humans are built for wide vision with two side-by-side eyes, thus computer monitors and TV screens are generally wider than they are tall (landscape mode). So all these portrait phone images just look stupid on most screens. TV news often creates blurred closeups to fill the dead space on either side. It drives me crazy. Please, TURN YOUR PHONE SIDEWAYS to take pictures and video. :)

Ah yes, "Vertical Video Syndrome." There is a PSA that speaks to this. If I was king for a day, every one who suffers from VVS would be sentenced to having all their TVs mounted vertically for one year. :D

A credit union that needs a credit check you when you go to open an account with a 35k check. Really, haven't even needed to do a credit check to open up a brokerage account, just gave them the money. Ok so I unfreeze my credit and I was told I could easy do the rest online. Nope gotta go back to the bank to prove my identity again she already got my documents. I've had at least 10 FBI background checks with finger prints and a freaking credit union denies me.

Years ago, my wife and I moved to Florida. We had sold our house and had the money in the bank. We had the bank write a check for our balance and when we got to Florida we went to a bank to open a new account and deposit the check. The refused to let us open an account. We didn't want any money, just wanted to get started in Florida. The just refused with no reason. They didn't even attempt to verify the check. We went down the street 3 blocks to another bank and opened the account with almost an $80,000 deposit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Almost got a vehicle towed by my HOA last week because I needed to retitle it (registration/plate already expired) & so took the old license plate with me to the DMV to turn it in...was gone about an hour before returning to find a bright orange sticker on the back glass.

That's ridiculous.

Shopping for a new comforter for the bed, there seems to be no such thing as a queen size any more. All that's available is "full/queen." OK, which is it? Either too large for a full or too small for a queen.

Shopping for a new comforter for the bed, there seems to be no such thing as a queen size any more. All that's available is "full/queen." OK, which is it? Either too large for a full or too small for a queen.

+1

And don't get me started on one-size-fits-all socks. :mad:

How about finding a fitted sheet that ACTUALLY fits?!? We don't have anything special, but we have resorted to using straps to hold the sheet tight as we can't seem to figure out sizing of them. It's annoying and a problem we haven't had until a couple of years ago (king size).

How about finding a fitted sheet that ACTUALLY fits?!? We don't have anything special, but we have resorted to using straps to hold the sheet tight as we can't seem to figure out sizing of them. It's annoying and a problem we haven't had until a couple of years ago (king size).

It's because people buy mattresses now with those ridiculous pillow tops.

So they have to make the sheets with a four foot pocket depth to accommodate the things.

It's because people buy mattresses now with those ridiculous pillow tops.

How did we survive those dark years decades ago with mattresses 1/2 the thickness of today:confused:

I find the high mattresses make it difficult to get out of bed sometimes. I'm ready to throw away the frame and just put the box spring on the floor.

How did we survive those dark years decades ago with mattresses 1/2 the thickness of today:confused:

I find the high mattresses make it difficult to get out of bed sometimes. I'm ready to throw away the frame and just put the box spring on the floor.

MIL, all of 5' or so, had to use a stepping stool to get into her bed. It matched the furniture :dance:.

I would LOVE to do that, but my DW said that if I want to live like a bachelor then I need to be a bachelor. :D

MIL, all of 5' or so, had to use a stepping stool to get into her bed. It matched the furniture :dance:.

I'm 5'3" and I do have to hop a bit to get onto the bed in a good hotel (they are always super high for some reason). If I were only 5' I think I'd have to fling myself on.

I'm currently considering the opposite for home: A bed with a flat platform and just getting a mattress with no boxspring.

DW is only 5' nothing and has the same problem in hotels.

At home, I built a cantilevered platform bed out of 2x4" material and ply. It is hidden under the box springs and you don't stub your toe on it (my usual gripe about platforms) because of the cantilevering. The bed seems to "float" about 4" off the floor and at one time I even had "mood lighting" under it for the occasion when the "mood" hit.

Haven't seen those lights in a while...:cool::LOL:

Youtube keeps showing me ads to make or save money. Lots of get rich quick schemes and a new one about how solar panels can save or even make me money. I don't watch business or finance related videos but I guess I do watch a lot of blue collar and some low brow stuff. What does an average person watch, Ted talks, so they can be influenced for an hour by one person's opinion on an important topic? The news from news sources I never heard of? Why can't those people get the dumb ads?

I put the mattress on the floor when I sold everything to buy out my ex wife's share of the house back in '82. That and the bean bag chair were what I had left to furnished the house with. Worked great but these days I would have trouble getting off the floor. :D

Cheers!

Late DW bought these tall box spring mattress combinations. She was 5'3" had sme problem gatting in and out. I offered to hack off 4" of the bed legs. She did not approve, would have ruined the look. A few weeks after she passed away I disassembled the bed, hacked off 4" of legs, re-assembled. Much better! I am a function first kind of guy.

Just to throw some info on the bed issue... if your parents are older and short and the bed is high.... GET SOMETHING LOWER!!!

My mom was found on the floor next to her bed with a broken pelvis... she does not remember what happened but we think it was her trying to get into bed and slipped and fell...

It was another thing added to her list of problems that continued her decline... she took awhile to get to walk again but was soon not even able to do that... her final few months were in a wheelchair at a memory care facility...

It is not worth keeping a high bed.

Women's clothing sizes... We've been doing some clothes shopping for my wife and the sizing systems just don't make sense. I mean, when I buy a pair of jeans they're 38 waist, 30 length. Simple measurements. But women have size 12, size 14, L, XL, XXL, 1X etc. and seem to vary from one brand to another. There's no correlation to any actual measurements to know what will fit and what won't. We have to return numerous items that were supposed to be the correct size but don't fit.

And bra sizes. What's up with D, DD, DDD? What happened to E and F? Again, why not use a simple measurement system like my jeans, 40 band, 44 breast, no math or charts involved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom