What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I'm convinced that some people just have no spatial awareness, nor any idea that people other than them might be trying to use the road too. Near my house is a road where many people turn left. There are often many cars coming in the other direction and you have to wait. When I want to turn left there, I move to the left as close as I can get against the double yellow line, so people can pass by me on the right. Some people just plant themselves in the middle of the lane, so no one can get by and everyone must wait.

And IMO, those people (and others like them) should not be allowed to vote (at least for a few years, until they prove they redeemed themselves)!

I know, no effective way to do that, but conceptually I think it makes a lot of sense. When people vote, they need to think of the "common good", and these people have demonstrated they don't/won't/can't do that.

-ERD50

But at least here in Louisiana some of those stop lines are so far back that you can't see the oncoming traffic.
Which brings up another peeve: street and stop and other signs that block your view or are in front of another sign. Or are behind bushes.
Oh yeah, almost forgot: people driving small cars who pull across the center line to make a right turn.

Email subscriptions from places I've done business with.

They just send too much email. I'm in the process of cleaning up my email inbox, in prep for moving to a new computer, and I just get too much email.

For many of these, I'd actually like to get an email once a month or something, or an occasional email for a special notice, but some of these come daily, or several a week, and the only real option is a total unsubscribe.

Stupid for the business. If I unsubscribe, they totally lose contact with me. But a 1/month email keeps me thinking about them w/o being annoying.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that the emails came immediately when I signed up, but they often say it will take 3-5 business days to unsubscribe! Right, at worst, they can update their database overnight.

-ERD50

For many of these, I'd actually like to get an email once a month or something, or an occasional email for a special notice, but some of these come daily, or several a week, and the only real option is a total unsubscribe.

Many smart companies know this, and have email frequency as an option vs. straight up unsubscribe. Those that do, I get weekly or monthly. Those that don't, haven't bothered to code for, are the ones that I unsub from.

Many smart companies know this, and have email frequency as an option vs. straight up unsubscribe. Those that do, I get weekly or monthly. Those that don't, haven't bothered to code for, are the ones that I unsub from.

Speaking of which, just today I got my DAILY email from 123greetings hawking their goods. I finally unsubscribed and they promptly sent me TWO MORE emails...one confirming the unsub and another asking me to come back. :mad::cool::mad:

Eyeglass frames that stretch and eventually just fall down my nose. I'm careful with them but it still happens. Is there any solution to this, except make a trek to the store where they heat and remold them, only to have it happen again? I wonder if it is a matter of getting more expensive frames or different material. Mine are just plastic. Really aggravating.

You can use a hair dryer to heat the plastic and bend it. (Practice on an old pair first)

Google "adjusting glasses with hair dryer" for further instructions.

Not noticing that one sock that was left in the washer until after the dryer is finished.

I hope I didn't miss a new thread for the new year.

Anyway, this morning I submitted an online message to DW's 457 account administrator via their web site. I expect that nearly all of the messages submitted contain questions, and of course questions should end in a question mark. But NO! I got an error saying special characters such as "::$#% (or whatever, but the list didn't include a "?") are not allowed. Plus, I got to type the entire message again from scratch.

I think they need a new web site programmer.

Anyway, this morning I submitted an online message to DW's 457 account administrator via their web site. I expect that nearly all of the messages submitted contain questions, and of course questions should end in a question mark. But NO! I got an error saying special characters such as "::$#% (or whatever, but the list didn't include a "?") are not allowed. Plus, I got to type the entire message again from scratch.
I hear ya, especially the last part. Now I either type my message in word pad and copy it to the form, or copy the message I've typed into the form to word pad in case the message gets cleared without being submitted for whatever reason. But I forget this too many times.

Apps with names that make them hard to find. I put the ones I use a lot on my home screen, and access the lesser used ones alphabetically. So I wanted to view power outages on the CVEC (electrical co-op) app, not there in the C's. Because they named their app "MyCVEC", found among a few apps that start with "My". And Delta airlines is called "Fly Delta" so it's harder to find too. And you can't easily change the apps. Apparently you have to use the APK Editor on the APK package of the app you want to rename. Not clear how it would work to get app updates once you've done this.

Major pet peeve OTD: People still setting off fireworks (bottle rockets, firecrackers) randomly in the middle of the day... on January 4th! I have heard at least 5-10 annoying POPs nearby in my neighborhood every single day since New Year's Eve.

NO pet peeves whatsoever. We have our health, we live well, and we do not concern ourselves with things over which we have no control.

We won the lottery. We have lived a charmed life with incredible opportunity for growth-financial and personal.

So...why on earth would we bother ourselves with petty pet peeves:confused:

Life is great. We MYOB and enjoy it.

Our approach is enjoy life to the fullest and don't sweat the small stuff baby!

Last edited:
Can't speak for anyone else, but there are things that bug me. I vent, and move on. Sometimes people will have a way around my issue, which is great. Or just getting some empathy from others is helpful. Being told I shouldn't let it bother me is not.

NO pet peeves whatsoever. We have our health, we live well, and we do not concern ourselves with things over which we have no control.

We won the lottery. We have lived a charmed life with incredible opportunity for growth-financial and personal.

Pet peeve - people that are excessively happy. :mad:

j/k :LOL:

I believe you just became the pet peeve for a lot of folks here :D.

Trying to help my mother with the final piece of a 2021 RMD. She needed $190.02 distributed from an annuity she had been suckered into years ago. Her bank is Wells Fargo who then have to contact the annuity company AXA? Into the local branch 11/16. Thought it was all done. Couple of weeks pass. Nope, nothing done. 12/6 call the toll free number and think that it is done this time. Wait a couple of weeks, nope not done again and on 12/20 call again. Finally whatever needed to be done was done correctly. A few days later I see that $190.02 is now in cash. OK. You are supposed to send her a check. She finally gets it 1/3/22. What a pain in the butt.

Sojourner--they are still setting off fireworks here, too.
I think they have a bunch leftover from July, as it was so dry, many cities banned them this summer :-/At least they are during the day and not at midnight anymore!

Trying to help my mother with the final piece of a 2021 RMD. She needed $190.02 distributed from an annuity she had been suckered into years ago. Her bank is Wells Fargo who then have to contact the annuity company AXA? Into the local branch 11/16. Thought it was all done. Couple of weeks pass. Nope, nothing done. 12/6 call the toll free number and think that it is done this time. Wait a couple of weeks, nope not done again and on 12/20 call again. Finally whatever needed to be done was done correctly. A few days later I see that $190.02 is now in cash. OK. You are supposed to send her a check. She finally gets it 1/3/22. What a pain in the butt.

Does she have any other tax deferred account the money could have been withdrawn from? IRA? 401k?

Was the situation that the payouts the annuity made during the year added to be $190.02 less than her calculated RMD?

If you fear a repeat of this situation, why not start the 2022 RMD now since you know the amount?

Last edited:
Videos. I'm currently searching for a Class B RV and it seems the young'uns only want to do a video walkthrough rather than pictures that you can zoom in and really see things. But watching the videos is like being drunk. Hold the darn camera still and SLOWLY pan the camera. And please make sure there is sufficient light to actually see things. Or just take pictures, I can download these and brighten them up or zoom in. Can't really do that from a video.

People that slow down to 30 MPH approaching a green light on a 4 lane road with a speed limit of 50 MPH when no car is in front of them.:facepalm:

Videos. I'm currently searching for a Class B RV and it seems the young'uns only want to do a video walkthrough rather than pictures that you can zoom in and really see things. But watching the videos is like being drunk. Hold the darn camera still and SLOWLY pan the camera. And please make sure there is sufficient light to actually see things. Or just take pictures, I can download these and brighten them up or zoom in. Can't really do that from a video.

If you freeze the video, you can use the snip&sketch to capture the frame. then save it.

Coming soon: RV videos that fit in the 15 second Tik Tok timeframe, or maybe you already hit that?

Back
Top Bottom