What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Yea, idiots of all stripes with loud exhausts totally suck.

This had increased substantially in my neighborhood in recent years. There’s a guy with a little Jeep who tears up and down our hill at least 20 times a day. He’s entitled to run in and out all day, but not when I can hear him coming from a half mile away. Then the kid across the street from him recently got a new Camaro and it sounds like the drag strip when he goes out. Where what looks like a college age kid got the money for a $65k car is beyond me. Oh, wait, parents maybe?

Harrumph! Get off my lawn!

People who are late for meetings. 28 years in the military taught me 15 minutes early is on-time.

And people who "lead" meetings but can't keep them on track and on time (or worse, there IS no timed agenda). Twelve years in Toastmasters taught me how to keep meetings on track and start and end on time.

Now, as a volunteer, if a meeting is going too long and off the subject I just say, "I have to leave". And then I do it.:D

Car keys that in the last few years have become large, clunky and heavy. 2 car keys plus a house key now takes up a bulky corner in my bag. Not to mention how expensive they are to replace if you lose them. It’s no longer a simple trip to the hardware store to cut a spare key for someone. Although, I do admit I like the push button start and button on the car door that unlocks with proximity sensors. So now I don’t ever have to dig around to take out the keys. So it’s a benefit within a pet peeve I guess.

Unnecessarily locked out of online access.

Today I joined Sam's Club as they have the best prices on raw almonds. Other places (including Amazon, don't compare).

So while attempting to purchase, there was an offer to apply for a Sam's Mastercard. I thought about that but since my credit is frozen with Equifax and locked out with them. Pretty much impossible to unfreeze with them online or snail mail.

So I decided, okay forget the Sam's Mastercard and I'll just use another card. While in my Sam's account, I try to buy but get a message saying they need to verify me first. Text or email. Well, I used my home phone. That can't receive text.

Then I try email. Took time to find the verification email. When I finally did, said the code did not work. Maybe because I did ask for resends since it was taking awhile. Only saw one email go through.

Now when I try, I get a message saying only 3 resend attempts allowed. Try again later :facepalm:.

Ridiculous. My almonds are held hostage!!

Guess I'll find something to do for a few hours and try again. If not working still, may have to call and speak to a person hoping not getting a run around with that :(.

People that "work out" at a health club, sitting on one weight machine for 20-30 minutes or longer while they surf their phone and never lift any weights! They're either very inconsiderate or have no clue that other people in the health club might want to use that weight machine. I'm guessing inconsiderate. Ugh!

Last edited:
People that "work out" at a health club, sitting on one weight machine for 20-30 minutes or longer while they surf their phone and never lift any weights! Ugh!

That was the biggest factor convincing me to quit going to the gym. I used to ask politely if I could slip in and use the machine for a couple of minutes, but usually got a dirty look and "No, I'm just between sets." :facepalm:

Had my annual physical and blood work done 5 days ago. Got lab email and log in to Medical practice portal to view. All blood work looks perfect.:cool:

Today I get another email saying my "visit summary" (Dr. writeup, I imagine) is available on the portal. So I go there and find the place where the visit summaries are kept and click on the appropriate link. The summary never opens, message is "loading" and just sits there. Actually, links to all my summaries don't open but I can open my lab results links. :confused:

So I sent them an email about the non-opening visit summary. No telling what will be the response which will take a few days.

Good thing these businesses are not doing important work.

Today I get another email saying my "visit summary" (Dr. writeup, I imagine) is available on the portal. So I go there and find the place where the visit summaries are kept and click on the appropriate link. The summary never opens, message is "loading" and just sits there. Actually, links to all my summaries don't open but I can open my lab results links. :confused:

I got one of those notifications last year and had similar results. It was a few days before my regular appointment, so I just told the office folks about it when I got there. The response was "Yes, we know. It doesn't work for us either." :facepalm:

I got one of those notifications last year and had similar results. It was a few days before my regular appointment, so I just told the office folks about it when I got there. The response was "Yes, we know. It doesn't work for us either." :facepalm:

I'm relieved! I thought it was just my doctor's practice that operated like that!:LOL:

People that "work out" at a health club, sitting on one weight machine for 20-30 minutes or longer while they surf their phone and never lift any weights! They're either very inconsiderate or have no clue that other people in the health club might want to use that weight machine. I'm guessing inconsiderate. Ugh!

I started going to the "No Judging place", Believe me I'm judging! Get off the machine when your done, and clean the d*mn thing!

lol, love that word Bro Dozers!
Here we also have all the light customizations on wheels, roofs, etc. that looks like a christmas show coming at you.
So obvious at night, yet nothing happens. A few weeks ago, we had one truck lit up like a Christmas tree come toward us in the other lane, a police car behind us, ....nothing happened.

There is a little red sports car that is set up to pop a half a dozen times in the distance between the two stoplights on either side of my house. Sometime between 4 and 5pm he goes by, and I usually hear it once on the weekend. You can hear him fast accelerate from one light and then 1/2 way, about at my house he let's off, and pop, pop, pop, pop it goes while he is slowing for the next light. Websites and youtubes are devoted to making your car pop and bang.

If I was energetic, I would record two minutes of pops, and spend my public two minutes at the city commission meeting, just letting the pops play. :D

PS, when I was 18, there was nothing better than the sound of my 65 Ford Fairlane 500 running cherry bomb mufflers. But that different!!! :facepalm:

There is a little red sports car that is set up to pop a half a dozen times in the distance between the two stoplights on either side of my house. Sometime between 4 and 5pm he goes by, and I usually hear it once on the weekend. You can hear him fast accelerate from one light and then 1/2 way, about at my house he let's off, and pop, pop, pop, pop it goes while he is slowing for the next light. Websites and youtubes are devoted to making your car pop and bang.

If I was energetic, I would record two minutes of pops, and spend my public two minutes at the city commission meeting, just letting the pops play. :D

PS, when I was 18, there was nothing better than the sound of my 65 Ford Fairlane 500 running cherry bomb mufflers. But that different!!! :facepalm:

LOL, reminding me of my youth.... I had a 65 Galaxy 500... the exhaust pipes came to a X around the middle of the car... it rusted through so I had straight pipes... that was LOUD...

My friend once told me he knew when I was coming as he heard my car start up 5 blocks away...

Finally had to get them fixed when I accelerated too hard next to police...

Previous gripe with new update. Amazon offered me (like it was just me) $100 if I signed up for their credit card. It's free gets me 5% of all purchases, Plus $100 gift card, well then the holding bank denied me a card because I didn't have enough cards and I had no money in their bank. I have an 807 Credit score. I have no slow or non payment history. So, OK no card.
Today I see a $200 offer for getting their card, about the only thing that has changed in the 1-1/2 to 2 years is I borrowed $242k on margin and opened a $100k HELOC. These have both been paid back. The offer said 15 minute decision. Well they can't give me a 15 minute decision, they will let me know within 30 days. I did make one mistake, I put $70,000 as my gross income and even that was a little puffery, I should have pulled last years 1040 where my adjusted gross income was $190,000, even though that included some Roth Conversion, $60,000 of Tuition and about $60,000 for our spending. Oh well, maybe next year they will offer $300.

distracted drivers.
Yesterday I was in stop and go, go go go stop traffic in the company dump truck. I had been traveling around and ahead of a 53' dry box truck. Things got rolling and I got away from him and apparently a bit too far. It clogged up again and I carefully started slowing and tapping brakes, and then two cars filled in behind me. I'd like to blame the cars totally, as they cut off truck's safety zones all the time but I can't this time.
He was not going to get it stopped and dodged onto the shoulder, barely missing the cars. By the time he got it stopped he was about 50' beyond me. It would have been an evil mess.
I flashed my lights and let him off the shoulder. Knucklehead!

distracted drivers.
Yesterday I was in stop and go, go go go stop traffic in the company dump truck. I had been traveling around and ahead of a 53' dry box truck. Things got rolling and I got away from him and apparently a bit too far. It clogged up again and I carefully started slowing and tapping brakes, and then two cars filled in behind me. I'd like to blame the cars totally, as they cut off truck's safety zones all the time but I can't this time.
He was not going to get it stopped and dodged onto the shoulder, barely missing the cars. By the time he got it stopped he was about 50' beyond me. It would have been an evil mess.
I flashed my lights and let him off the shoulder. Knucklehead!

IMO not the cars fault.... if he is 50ft beyond you then he would have hit you if the cars were not there.... totally his fault...

I will say good dodge to not hit anybody though...

Ugh... continued late night/early morning fireworks going off.
Some loud bang at 3 am this morning. So loud, I was waiting for ambulance sirens, I was sure it was a car accident or a gun.

Not fun anymore.

IMO not the cars fault.... if he is 50ft beyond you then he would have hit you if the cars were not there.... totally his fault...

That's why SkyKing said: "I'd like to blame the cars totally, as they cut off truck's safety zones all the time but I can't this time."

Why do they make food jars so tall with narrow openings at the top, like mayonnaise or peanut butter jars? When you get near the bottom it's impossible to get the food out with a knife. Then you have to resort to a spatula and still end up with mayo or peanut butter all over the spatula handle and your hand. I wish they made shorter, wider containers with bigger openings you could actually reach into. A more cubical shape should use less plastic too.

For that matter, why don't they make smaller containers of food products? There are a lot of items we buy like salad dressings, or other condiments that expire before we can use the entire bottle. We just don't use them that much. A little 4-6 ounce container would be more than enough for most items. There would be less waste and they shouldn't cost as much. I have occasionally seen tiny bottles of ketchup, mustard, mayo, and relish. But those are exceptions and aren't reliably available.

Why do they make food jars so tall with narrow openings at the top, like mayonnaise or peanut butter jars? When you get near the bottom it's impossible to get the food out with a knife. Then you have to resort to a spatula and still end up with mayo or peanut butter all over the spatula handle and your hand. I wish they made shorter, wider containers with bigger openings you could actually reach into. A more cubical shape should use less plastic too.

For that matter, why don't they make smaller containers of food products? There are a lot of items we buy like salad dressings, or other condiments that expire before we can use the entire bottle. We just don't use them that much. A little 4-6 ounce container would be more than enough for most items. There would be less waste and they shouldn't cost as much. I have occasionally seen tiny bottles of ketchup, mustard, mayo, and relish. But those are exceptions and aren't reliably available.

Since you are in Washington, you may not be familiar with an "ice tea spoon"...they work amazingly well getting the last bit out of those bottles.

Attachments

• spoon.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 52
Since you are in Washington, you may not be familiar with an "ice tea spoon"...they work amazingly well getting the last bit out of those bottles.

We do have a couple of those. We always called them parfait spoons as they work well for getting the last little bit of ice cream out of the bottom of a parfait glass. :)

I still think I would end up with goop all over my hands trying to scrape out a tall container. They probably don't work well for spreading mayo or peanut butter either?

We do have a couple of those. We always called them parfait spoons as they work well for getting the last little bit of ice cream out of the bottom of a parfait glass. :)

I still think I would end up with goop all over my hands trying to scrape out a tall container. They probably don't work well for spreading mayo or peanut butter either?

How about one of these icing spatulas? Nice and long. Handle would stay clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Spatula-Beechwood-Stainless/dp/B08WJ6TPRY

How about one of these icing spatulas? Nice and long. Handle would stay clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Spatula-Beechwood-Stainless/dp/B08WJ6TPRY

My wife has one of those, except ours has an offset handle. I think it would be awkward to use and still wouldn't reach the area under the lid at the top of the jar. The rounded tip would also make it hard to scrape the bottom of the jar.

I did a little research (learned something new). As it turns out, there are specialized "jar scraper" spatulas for this sort of thing. Still, it's funny how people have to invent new specialized gadgets to overcome an inherent design flaw with the original packaging. :)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jar+scraper

I think they spread it just fine, but YMMV as some people seem to think they are painting a Picaso when spreading condiments on bread. :D

Back
Top Bottom