What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

From what I've read, if they follow the minor league rule as expected, they just need all 4 infielders inside the outer boundary of the infield...IOW not on the outfield grass. But they could put 3 or 4 infielders on one side. Obviously an infielder can go onto the grass to make a play, so I wonder if one infielder can drop back to the outfield as the pitch is made? That would almost defeat the rule.

Well it looks like MLB has reviewed this thread and my continuous comments over the years about hating the shift in baseball. They have finally agreed and not going to allow the shift this year.

Of course now my new pet peeve is not giving people freedom to choose how they want to play the game. I hate rules.

Why? If someone hits the ball 100% of the time between 1st and 2nd I would have all my infielders there...

There should be NO rules saying where the players are on the field... if you want to move the shortstop to the outfield to cover more ground go for it...

Heck, if you want 8 players between 1st and 2nd for that guy... go for it...

What it means is that a coach has to teach that guy to hit better... making a stupid rule saying where you can or cannot put your defense is just stupid... BTW, if you are wrong it can cost you... I have seen a triple because the guy hit the opposite way and players were 'out of position'...

When I purchase something from Costco, Home Depot, Target, etc, I get a follow up email within a couple days asking me to review the product. Often I have not even used the product yet, so providing a review will not be helpful to other consumers. This makes me wonder about how useful the ratings are when shopping these websites, even if 500 people have reviewed the product.

I pay more attention to the negative reviews. Not the star rating, but the explanation. Some people are complaining about delivery or customer service, which is of no help in deciding what to buy, but could be important in deciding where to buy it. Others are clearly describing operator error or unrealistic expectation (e.g. - some feature that they thought would be included but is obviously not). Of the ones that legitimately complain about some defect/deficiency in the product, I try to determine whether is likely to be a common one due to design or whether they got the unfortunate lemon. Then I can decide if that would make the product a no-go for my intended use.

I find no value in reading a review saying "it's the greatest" when the reviewer clearly just unboxed the product and has not really used it. But companies know that's when you should ask for a review, while the bloom is still on the rose and confirmation bias is strongest.

I pay more attention to the negative reviews. Not the star rating, but the explanation. .

+1 on the explainations.

I also like to look at the middle range reviews - the 2, 3 and 4 star ones.

Too many people give 5 stars to everything. And as Gumby says a lot of the 1 star reviews are done for other reasons that have little to do with product quality. People who give 2, 3, or 4 stars indicate that they have put some thought into their rating. At least it seems more likely to me. YMMV.

I pay more attention to the negative reviews. Not the star rating, but the explanation. Some people are complaining about delivery or customer service, which is of no help in deciding what to buy, but could be important in deciding where to buy it. Others are clearly describing operator error or unrealistic expectation (e.g. - some feature that they thought would be included but is obviously not). Of the ones that legitimately complain about some defect/deficiency in the product, I try to determine whether is likely to be a common one due to design or whether they got the unfortunate lemon. Then I can decide if that would make the product a no-go for my intended use.

I find no value in reading a review saying "it's the greatest" when the reviewer clearly just unboxed the product and has not really used it. But companies know that's when you should ask for a review, while the bloom is still on the rose and confirmation bias is strongest.

Yes!!! I get quite annoyed at reviews that discuss an item 10 minutes after getting it out of the box. As an example, I wanted to purchase a replacement cooking surface for our Blackstone griddle (stainless steel instead of cast iron). A likely candidate had a lot of reviews, but most of them started saying something along the lines of, "Looks good...I haven't used it yet, but I think it will do a good job." Really? That is pretty damn useless to me, but thanks. :mad:

My pet peeve is people who make excessive noise for no legit reason especially after dark but regardless of time of day. I have a neighbor(3 houses down but seems less due to the layout of lots) that modifies his exhaust on his 20 or so year old SUV to be as loud as possible. It's his third vehicle in the few years he has been here all with the same crazy loud exhaust. He must take off part of the exhaust to make it this loud. Then he floors the gas as he goes down the road 5-10 times a day including well after dark so he wakes me and other up from deep sleep. He also revs the car in his driveway or on the street. I legitimately have to hold myself back from "ending him". If I didn't have 20 years of savings from living on very little that I don't want to throw away I would have "gotten rid of the problem" long ago.

My pet peeve is people who make excessive noise for no legit reason especially after dark but regardless of time of day. I have a neighbor(3 houses down but seems less due to the layout of lots) that modifies his exhaust on his 20 or so year old SUV to be as loud as possible. It's his third vehicle in the few years he has been here all with the same crazy loud exhaust. He must take off part of the exhaust to make it this loud. Then he floors the gas as he goes down the road 5-10 times a day including well after dark so he wakes me and other up from deep sleep. He also revs the car in his driveway or on the street. I legitimately have to hold myself back from "ending him". If I didn't have 20 years of savings from living on very little that I don't want to throw away I would have "gotten rid of the problem" long ago.

I feel your pain. We are off the main road by a decent amount, but we can still hear the tool bags that have removed/altered the exhaust system on their cars and trucks. Oh, and the trucks. Where we live, lots of idiots feel the need to "roll coal" every time they pull away from the 4 way stop not too far away. There really seems to be a lack of common courtesy these days. I would like to find the person who thought it was a good idea to integrate a 400 dB stereo/speaker system on some of these VERY LOUD motorcycles and give 'em a piece of my mind, or maybe just sit outside their house at 3 AM blasting Iron Maiden from a 1993 IROC-Z with t-tops.

My pet peeve is people who make excessive noise for no legit reason especially after dark but regardless of time of day.........
Same here. I live on the edge of suburbia / farm country and half the idiots here have a jacked up pickup with a modified exhaust and the other half have little sedans with super loud exhausts. The third half have motorcycles with no mufflers at all. I don't think the sheriff's department ever tickets anyone for excessive noise as it would be like shooting fish in a barrel if they just sat next to the road with their window down.

Still the street walkers. Walk on the sidewalk as it was intended. I don't drive my vehicle on the sidewalk, you shouldn't walk on the street. And don't tell me how much softer asphault is compared to concrete.

Around here almost everyone walks on the sidewalk. Sometimes a jogger or run/walker is on the edge of the road. I walk on the sidewalk, but will go out into the street sometimes, if no traffic, as a courtesy to myself and to the approaching person walking on sidewalk with an untrained snarling dog straining at the leash.

Last edited:
I just finished my 1099-K "reconciliation" for 2021 tax year. I run a hobby business in the vintage car hobby and use PayPal for a lot of transactions. PayPal and the IRS have a policy that says that if you have $20k of inbound transactions, AND over 200 transactions in a given year, they get reported to the IRS and you have to account for the income. I am nowhere near those limits. However (peeve #1), the state I live in, says that if you have aggregate transactions over $600 for a year (any number of transactions), then a 1099-K is submitted and the IRS gets a copy. I'll spare the details, but suffice to say, I have already had to expend HOURS trying to detail the actual "income" portion of selling a rusty car part I bought in Europe 15-20 years ago to someone in the US.

So being proactive this season with 2021 tax year filing (we pay someone to do it, best $300 I ever spent), I have to "explain" my 2021 1099-K and why every CENT of transactions isn't really income. So finished that tonight and found that two PayPal transactions/payments I refunded to the buyers within minutes of them sending them to me weren't subtracted from my 2021 transaction total (peeve #2), AND the $242 I paid to PayPal in fees in 2021 aren't subtracted either (peeve #3) just pisses me off.

So if I sell a 70 year old car part to someone who pays for it with PayPal, I have to explain (and hopefully get that explanation accepted by the IRS) that SOME of what they paid me is what I PAID for the part God knows when ago, but if I sell my brother a couch that I paid $800 for, for $100, I DON'T get to take $700 in "loss"... because it is a couch, not a car part.

SMFH

I just finished my 1099-K "reconciliation" for 2021 tax year. I run a hobby business in the vintage car hobby and use PayPal for a lot of transactions. PayPal and the IRS have a policy that says that if you have $20k of inbound transactions, AND over 200 transactions in a given year, they get reported to the IRS and you have to account for the income. I am nowhere near those limits. However (peeve #1), the state I live in, says that if you have aggregate transactions over $600 for a year (any number of transactions), then a 1099-K is submitted and the IRS gets a copy. I'll spare the details...

Here's a detail of a peeve coming to everyone next year. Your state rules become the norm for the national rule for everyone starting tax year 2022, courtesy the "American Rescue Plan Act" signed last year.

Source: https://www.twrblog.com/2021/03/ame...k-reporting-and-reduces-de-minimis-threshold/

Vanguard is my 401(k) administrator. Haven't checked on the account in over a year. Not sure if it's because of the length of time since my last visit, or if it's just standard operating procedure now, but they wanted to send me a text message with a security code for login.

Noticed the contact number was my old cell phone number.
Purchased a new phone, with a new number early in 2021.

No problem I thought, I'll just give them a call and update my contact information. When I got through the menu, I was told estimated wait time would be 1 hour 5 minutes. I figured maybe that's just a bluff, they state an outrageous amount of time hoping people will just hang up.

20 minutes later, it stated estimated wait time would be 55 minutes.
Seriously considering transferring the account to Fidelity.

Vanguard is my 401(k) administrator. Haven't checked on the account in over a year. Not sure if it's because of the length of time since my last visit, or if it's just standard operating procedure now, but they wanted to send me a text message with a security code for login.

Noticed the contact number was my old cell phone number.
Purchased a new phone, with a new number early in 2021.

No problem I thought, I'll just give them a call and update my contact information. When I got through the menu, I was told estimated wait time would be 1 hour 5 minutes. I figured maybe that's just a bluff, they state an outrageous amount of time hoping people will just hang up.

20 minutes later, it stated estimated wait time would be 55 minutes.
Seriously considering transferring the account to Fidelity.

Accept the call back feature, Fidelity has the same feature due to long wait times.

So if I sell a 70 year old car part to someone who pays for it with PayPal, I have to explain (and hopefully get that explanation accepted by the IRS) that SOME of what they paid me is what I PAID for the part God knows when ago, but if I sell my brother a couch that I paid $800 for, for $100, I DON'T get to take $700 in "loss"... because it is a couch, not a car part.

Wouldn't you call that a bench seat :LOL::LOL:

My PPOTD (honestly, probably PPOTM) is having to go through the long-winded, multi-step, laborious process of verifying my identity through ID.me... and failing! How can it not work when one of the steps is uploading a photo of my state issued, Real ID certified drivers license:confused: I thought the whole point of Real ID was to verify your identification in the first place! Why isn't the Real ID license itself enough? All this hassle, just to be able to reset my PIN on a website so I can get a state tax document.

Youtube video ads. Finally find a (hopefully) informative video but have to watch a 30 second ad first. Problem is the ad never loads. ARRGHHH!

I don't know if it's a pet peeve, but it was an annoying way to start my day. Our cell phones went off at 5:30am this morning with a loud amber alert tone. The first thing my sleepy groggy brain thought was the nukes were headed this way. I've been watching too much war coverage on the news. :)

I also thought I heard Hindi Bollywood style music playing when I woke up. Turns out it was just my wife breathing. :) My sleepy brain was not making sense of the world this morning.

I don't know if it's a pet peeve, but it was an annoying way to start my day. Our cell phones went off at 5:30am this morning with a loud amber alert tone. The first thing my sleepy groggy brain thought was the nukes were headed this way. I've been watching too much war coverage on the news. :)

I also thought I heard Hindi Bollywood style music playing when I woke up. Turns out it was just my wife breathing. :) My sleepy brain was not making sense of the world this morning.

I *think* you can disable most of the alerts on most phones except for presidential emergencies. Of course YMMV.

My pet peeve today is how I can be on my cell phone for 2+ hours at a time (a phone call) and have ZERO issue. I can also be on hold with same phone for 1+ hour, again with no issues. However, it seems awfully suspicious that when I get to the very last step of cancelling a service, I get disconnected....FIVE TIMES!!!! :mad::mad::mad: I am looking at YOU T-MOBILE!!!!!

I *think* you can disable most of the alerts on most phones except for presidential emergencies. Of course YMMV.

My pet peeve today is how I can be on my cell phone for 2+ hours at a time (a phone call) and have ZERO issue. I can also be on hold with same phone for 1+ hour, again with no issues. However, it seems awfully suspicious that when I get to the very last step of cancelling a service, I get disconnected....FIVE TIMES!!!! :mad::mad::mad: I am looking at YOU T-MOBILE!!!!!

Yes, it is a very curious software glitch that seems to specifically affect subscriber retention departments. I have observed it with Spectrum Communications, as well as at least a couple of newspapers (San Antonio Express News and WSJ being the ones I specifically remember...). Funny that! :facepalm:

My pet peeve(s)........when I'm looking at a video for making a recipe. I know you have to chop the apple.....but just show me once for the first apple so I see the chopped dimensions, but NOT for the next 5 !!!. I'm glad you show me how to form the dough, form the cookie, stir the meat........but just show me a few seconds of it and I get the idea. Move on to the next step or process. Another pet peeve of recipes on line is when they say it's a 4 ingredient recipe. But then they list them and it's 6 or 7 or 8 !!! And finally with recipes.......when you are going to show me a list of 'favorite' recipes, you show me a list that are titled "Grandma's Favorite", or the "Easiest Main St recipe", or "The Recipe from Ireland". I have to click on each one to see what it's even about. Give it a descriptive name, not some generic term. (Rant over !! Thanks for listening!)

My peeve of the day is government agencies that sell your data. I file a tax return for a friend. She (an elderly widow, long time family friend) isn’t computer literate so I just use my email and phone number and file her returns. She has income from another state (PA). Today I got an email solicitation from someone running for office in PA. Just what I want as a MI resident. Government agencies at any/every level should have no reason to share data, especially that from a tax return.

I'm tired of people believing in the supernatural. They hold progress back, while disingenuously stating they don't believe in the supernatural.

Back
Top Bottom