What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

My new pet peeve is the black box of tax software. :mad:

After doing our taxes, I realized the gov't needed more $$$, so added in our accumulated I-bond interest so we won't have an I-bond interest bomb later.

This added ~$6K to our income (only bought I bonds recently).
Our Fed income went up $9K :confused: and so did our State taxable income :confused:
(I-bonds are State Tax free).

I wasted a few hours playing with the numbers , etc, as there is no explanation in H&R when you input a value.
Example: You added $$ in interest, this raised your ______ because ______

Finally I figured it out: It dropped our rental loss that we could claim due to the rise in Federal income. :cool:

H&R only has a stupid, generic explanation with graphics that does not explain why things changed when new values are input. :mad:

I just did my taxes with Turbotax. It's pretty easy to use and I guess that in the big scheme of things, I don't mind the cost. HOWEVER, the constant attempts at up-selling the service and even using trickery to get you onto a page to sign up for extras without an obvious way to say no and get back to your actual tax forms is very annoying.

I use H&R Block mainly to ensure I use the proper forms and don't make math errors or forget things, but I have already calculated the tax due before I even start the program.

I did not see a single game during the regular season... only watched the playoffs...

I never got over the strike/lockout back in 94/95 (had to look up the year)... I think I have been to two games since then and both were free to me...

I got a feedback survey from MLB today. Oh, I let them know how I felt about the state of baseball and the baseball commissioner :LOL:.

Attachments

• baseball survey.jpg
    baseball survey.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 41
Today's peeve: people referring to a tax refund as a "tax return." (BTW, does "anal-retentive" have a hyphen?)

Just behind that are people who think their tax refund is somehow free money.

Eh, for the first time ever, mine WAS free money this year... I'm still down overall by a very solid 6 figures but it was neat to move the needle ever so slightly back this year. It won't last long but at least this year it was fun to be refunded in excess of my withholdings for the first time since I started filing with my first McJob.

Yeah, even as a 2nd grader it made me crazy when we would have "show and tell" at summer school and kids would talk about their recent experience of watching the "fire crackers" on July 4.

What 2nd grader has a pet peeve, anyway? I hope I've mellowed at least a bit in almost 70 years. Heh, heh, probably not much.:blush:

What 2nd grader has a pet peeve, anyway? ....

I had pet peeve in the 2nd grade. It kept stealing my peanut butter sandwiches and pooped all over the place..

I had pet peeve in the 2nd grade. It kept stealing my peanut butter sandwiches and pooped all over the place..

How about a nice pet peeve sandwich. Two birds and one stone, and like that...

Yeah, even as a 2nd grader it made me crazy when we would have "show and tell" at summer school and kids would talk about their recent experience of watching the "fire crackers" on July 4.

What 2nd grader has a pet peeve, anyway? I hope I've mellowed at least a bit in almost 70 years. Heh, heh, probably not much.:blush:

I can't remember 2nd grade and if I did, I would be lying.:D

I can't remember 2nd grade and if I did, I would be lying.:D

Well I remember it well. It was a shock to have Mrs.Boaz as a teacher after having Ms. Arnold in the 1st grade. Like going from having the good witch of the North to having the mean old Wicked Witch of the west as a teacher. I never will forget either of those years!:blush:

All the work from home people taking up the booths with the best seating at the cafe/restaurant we went to. They had the booths by the windows that seat 4 people and there would be 1 person with a cup of coffee of coffee and their lap top. We sat on the high bar table back by the wall that was brightly lit and was across from the long counter. There was one wfh with their laptop open in this the area designed for them. I made a pretty loud comment about the rudeness of the people and my wife said we could have just sat at the island at home. We’ve marked this one off our list as this happened the last time we were there, but that time we at least got a decent table.

All the work from home people taking up the booths with the best seating at the cafe/restaurant we went to. They had the booths by the windows that seat 4 people and there would be 1 person with a cup of coffee of coffee and their lap top. We sat on the high bar table back by the wall that was brightly lit and was across from the long counter. There was one wfh with their laptop open in this the area designed for them. I made a pretty loud comment about the rudeness of the people and my wife said we could have just sat at the island at home. We’ve marked this one off our list as this happened the last time we were there, but that time we at least got a decent table.

Sorry you do not like this but IMO it is first come first served....

If I were by myself, why should I have to have a 'bad' table just so you can have a 'good' one?

Now, if they were there the whole day working I would be on your side...

I remember second grade. Seven years old and my first love. She was a real cutie.

She dumped me after I got a crew cut. I guess she preferred longer hair.

Ah youth!

Second grade we were all in the hallway covering our heads, waiting for the atomic bomb to hit.:facepalm:

That was first grade for me. I guess by second grade they figured that it wasn't going to do much good.

From what I do recall, I was not "looking" that early in my life.:cool:
:LOL: At that age, I was still part of the "He-Man Woman Haters Club". But by the time I reached 6th grade, things magically changed :).

Second grade we were all in the hallway covering our heads, waiting for the atomic bomb to hit.:facepalm:

Yep, I remember those drills. Also the desk drills, face down on the desk, hands and arms around the back of your head and neck.

Thinking I could eat Now & Laters like a 10 yr old & pulling off the crown... That candy will cost me at 10:30 today... Hopefully not too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's peeve: people referring to a tax refund as a "tax return." (BTW, does "anal-retentive" have a hyphen?)

Oh man, I don't think I ever heard that term applied to the refund, though I do know people who think of that as money they are 'getting'. I try to explain with the example of paying for a $9 item with a $10 bill or a $20 bill. You are just getting your change back - and I'm not sure that even sinks in! :facepalm:

But honestly, calling a 1040 a tax "return" is an odd use of the word. I wonder how that even started? I can't think of anything else we submit being called a "return". Odd.

-ERD50

Last edited:
ERD50 said:
Oh man, I don't think I ever heard that term applied to the refund, though I do know people who think of that as money they are 'getting'. I try to explain with the example of paying for a $9 item with a $10 bill or a $20 bill. You are just getting your change back - and I'm not sure that even sinks in! :facepalm:

But honestly, calling a 1040 a tax "return" is an odd use of the word. I wonder how that even started? I can't think of anything else we submit being called a "return". Odd.

-ERD50

+1

Maybe it’s psychological. We are returning the government’s money to them. Right? [emoji854]

Thinking I could eat Now & Laters like a 10 yr old & pulling off the crown... That candy will cost me at 10:30 today... Hopefully not too much.

Ouch! But that is kinda funny.
I did that once with a salt water taffy while at the beach. Not a fun way to end a vacation.

Back
Top Bottom