What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I've now had both (cats and current doggo). Neither would/will let me sleep. :facepalm: The kitties had a strict wakeup time of 6:00 a.m.; and if I tried to oversleep, someone would drape herself over my head and start patting my face. Upon occasions, LOUD vocal remonstrations were added to morning wakeup.

Doggo believes sleeping through the night is overrated, and will park herself next to me at 12 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. and cry piteously until I take her out . . .

They each and every one have their own personalities.

The only way we've been able to keep kitties from interrupting our sleep is to keep them out of the bedroom. We like to keep the bedroom door open, but have kept cats out at night by squirting them whenever they tried to come in. But our current cat is a sweet senior puss we took in a couple years ago, and she has DH wrapped around her paw. She comes in at night with her trilling and snuggling routine, and he hasn't the heart to chase her away.

The only way we've been able to keep kitties from interrupting our sleep is to keep them out of the bedroom. We like to keep the bedroom door open, but have kept cats out at night by squirting them whenever they tried to come in. But our current cat is a sweet senior puss we took in a couple years ago, and she has DH wrapped around her paw. She comes in at night with her trilling and snuggling routine, and he hasn't the heart to chase her away.

Our kitties always slept with us. One time one of them settled down between my knees in order to get the extra heat from the electric mattress pad. I suppose I was having a dream, and I flipped from my stomach to my back. Poor kitty was thrown clear out of bed and (fortunately) only hit the floor. He did not try that trick again for quite some time. I felt really guilty.

Yes - they have a way of doing that. :LOL:

Don't know what's up with next door neighbors (the ones with screaming kids), they now rule the roost. Mom is subservient to the kids, at least she tried to yell back and get the kids to do what she wanted. Now she is either whiny-pleading or just totally quiet. Dad is in the military and hasn't been around for about 18 months, everything ran well when he was here. 4 kids, about 16-6.

Even the youngest (maybe 6?) is throwing F bombs all day, they yell and swear at each other, day and night.
It's going to be a long summer.

Today it’s being so annoyed by something that I think “I’m going to post this in the Pet Peeve thread” but now I can’t remember what was bothering me.

Perhaps you could post on the "Happiest Moment Today" thread that you had a pet peeve but it was so minor you forgot it :).

Ugh. My condolences. Here’s hoping Dad returns soon!

Don't know what's up with next door neighbors (the ones with screaming kids), they now rule the roost. Mom is subservient to the kids, at least she tried to yell back and get the kids to do what she wanted. Now she is either whiny-pleading or just totally quiet. Dad is in the military and hasn't been around for about 18 months, everything ran well when he was here. 4 kids, about 16-6.

Even the youngest (maybe 6?) is throwing F bombs all day, they yell and swear at each other, day and night.
It's going to be a long summer.

Relatively minor pet peeve, but I have a few good friends and relatives who wear so much cologne or perfume that if I hug them when saying hello or goodbye, I then smell their cologne on myself/my clothes for the rest of the day. I can’t tell if I’m just overly sensitive or if they are just unaware that they’re wearing too much! But sometimes it’s so strong that when I get home I immediately throw the clothes in the laundry and hop in the shower.

I feel your pain Zona. I remember during my career shaking hands with a salesman who reeked of cologne and cigarette smoke. Couldn't get rid of that smell.
I'm overly sensitive to cologne and perfume smells and have had to move seats in church a few times.
But what I don't understand is why are most of ladies products scented? Lotion, creams, oils, shampoo, hair spray, etc. all have different scents. Then add perfume to that mix? And it seems as women age their smell is not as good so they just add more perfume. And some guys do it too. I like scent free products since I'd rather smell natural scents that nature produces. Trees, flowers, sand, dirt, etc.

I feel your pain Zona. I remember during my career shaking hands with a salesman who reeked of cologne and cigarette smoke. Couldn't get rid of that smell.
I'm overly sensitive to cologne and perfume smells and have had to move seats in church a few times.
But what I don't understand is why are most of ladies products scented? Lotion, creams, oils, shampoo, hair spray, etc. all have different scents. Then add perfume to that mix? And it seems as women age their smell is not as good so they just add more perfume. And some guys do it too. I like scent free products since I'd rather smell natural scents that nature produces. Trees, flowers, sand, dirt, etc.

We had a lovely young part-time technician who w*rked in our lab back in ancient times (ca 1972?) She wore that 'musk' perfume and you could literally follow around without ever seeing her just by the scent she left behind. It wasn't unpleasant, but it was over powering. My DW, not the jealous kind, asked me about the scent I often brought home (I swear I never touched her!)

We had a lovely young part-time technician who w*rked in our lab back in ancient times (ca 1972?) She wore that 'musk' perfume and you could literally follow around without ever seeing her just by the scent she left behind. It wasn't unpleasant, but it was over powering. My DW, not the jealous kind, asked me about the scent I often brought home (I swear I never touched her!)

In my working career, I spent some time in Indonesia and the natives hid their applied body scents by smoking clove based cigarettes. I can still recall that odor today.

I dislike most added scents whether in soap, detergent, dryer additives, perfumes,etc. But, I do like a hint of musk, maybe it's a long lost memory remnant of some hot young lady from yesteryear! It is still
lingers with me.

I prefer just a hint of scent, something that lingers pleasantly.
We had a "no scents" rule at work, due to risk of client or staff allergies (medical facility).
I do remember my 15 year stint working primarily with teens--I swear those boys took a bath with Axe cologne!

When attending and participating in a wine tasting , it is considered a faux pas if one wears cologne, perfume, chewing gum ,breath mints, etc. Any scent can really mess with one's ability to taste, since you can only taste sweet, sour, salty, bitter and unami; everything else you taste is because of our individual olfactory senses and knowledge and recognition of those aromas. IE, if one was never exposed and taught cassis, you would never recognize or identify that aroma. Through in some English Leather, and wow, you're doomed.

Speak of English Leather, when DW and I started dating in '82, she bought me some English Leather Cologne, her favorite scent. I never wore cologne, I worked in a coal mine. After we married, we bought an used Cadillac DeVille, and the previous owner must have spilt a bottle of EL in the car, it was there lingering forever ever so slightly. DW was happy, I learned to ignore it.

In my working career, I spent some time in Indonesia and the natives hid their applied body scents by smoking clove based cigarettes. I can still recall that odor today.

IIRC the first time I smelled clove cigarettes, I thought it was MJ (not that I have any first hand knowledge with demon weed, you understand.:LOL: )

I prefer just a hint of scent, something that lingers pleasantly.
We had a "no scents" rule at work, due to risk of client or staff allergies (medical facility).
I do remember my 15 year stint working primarily with teens--I swear those boys took a bath with Axe cologne!

Only cologne I ever used was a "hint" of English Leather. It was DW's favorite and she gave me a huge bottle of it even before we were married. I would just put a dab behind my ears. That was good enough for DW - so good enough for me.

I ordered some Glencairns on Amazon. You know, Scottish whisk(e)y tasting glasses. Most vendors had them for about $6 a piece so I was looking at ~$36 for six. One vendor offered 12 for $47 so I went for that. I'll stock the summer house and have extras for breakage. It had a longish delivery date but that didn't matter to me.

I get the shipping notice with a "USPS tracking number." The tracking number was nothing like a USPS 20- or 22-digit tracking number. After a couple of days with the tracking number unrecognized by USPS I chat with Amazon customer service. It seems that my Scottish whisky glasses are being shipped from CHINA? When they get to US shores the USPS tracking number will be updated.

So it looks like my Scottish whisky glasses will circumnavigate the globe, which I have never done! Glencairns at $3.92 a piece can't be beat, but China?

So my peeve is a fake tracking number and China sourcing without disclosing it. FWIW, I would have probably ordered them anyway, but prefer to know the source.

I ordered some Glencairns on Amazon. You know, Scottish whisk(e)y tasting glasses.

Maybe you bought a Chinese copy of Glencairn's design, and not Glencairn Crystal.

Nonetheless, Cheers!

(Long delivery time is usually a tip that product is coming from China, but you probably already figured that out)

Last edited:
Amazon delivery times. I ordered an item a few days ago. If I had it delivered to my condo in our city it would have arrived in a day or 2. However since I'm at my cabin, which is remote, it won't arrive for a week. Because they won't ship it for 5+ days. Why? I understand and accept that the delivery will be a couple days longer since I'm more remote. But why does it take 5 or more days just to ship it?

DH was married and in the military and had serious problems with his kids' behavior. He and his wife would agree on rules and routines for their two kids, but when he was away on duty she'd back down on everything. Kids are smart and learn quick how to play mom and dad against each other. That was a contributer to their divorce. The games got worse afterwards, with mom turning the kids against dad, who was the bad guy for having rules in his house. Sad and painful situation. Also expensive.

Last edited:
Amazon delivery times. I ordered an item a few days ago. If I had it delivered to my condo in our city it would have arrived in a day or 2. However since I'm at my cabin, which is remote, it won't arrive for a week. Because they won't ship it for 5+ days. Why? I understand and accept that the delivery will be a couple days longer since I'm more remote. But why does it take 5 or more days just to ship it?

Are you choosing the free shipping?

I usually select free shipping, and lately Amazon has been estimating 2-3 week delivery times. But then things arrive within 5 days or less. I get the feeling they're trying to get me to pay for faster shipping.

Very common with my Prime, as well. Five days to ship, then 2 days to arrive. Not always, but more often then not.

Maybe you bought a Chinese copy of Glencairn's design, and not Glencairn Crystal.

That would be my guess. If the deal is too good to be true...

A few years ago I ordered a laptop from Costco. Anticipated delivery time was reasonable and I had a genuine USPS tracking number but it kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed... the wording on the USPS site implied that the label had been printed and that was it. E-mails from Costco said it was taking longer than usual because "each one is custom made". Uh-huh.:rolleyes:

Finally it got moving and when it arrived, the labeling made it clear it had been sent directly for the factory in China.

Hotels that have only one or sometimes not even one towel bar in the bathroom. Adding towel bars is not like adding another electrical outlet or even putting in another shelf.

Hotels that have only one or sometimes not even one towel bar in the bathroom. Adding towel bars is not like adding another electrical outlet or even putting in another shelf.

I guess they figure everyone throws them on the floor anyway.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom