What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Brakes are the things that bring your car to a controlled stop.

Breaks are when you stop work for a cup of coffee or something separates when it's not supposed to.

I wish people would learn the difference.

Breaks are when you stop work for a cup of coffee or something separates when it's not supposed to.

I find myself using the wrong word in these circumstances. I do often catch the error and correct. Every once in a while, one slips through. Sometimes, I think it's the auto-spell checker. I find it occasionally changing words to the wrong word. Without committed proof reading, most of my posts would have errors (heh, heh, WITH proofreading, sometimes something slips through - or, sometimes - I just don't know how to spell the word and get it wrong.)

Most of time I try not to let spelling or wrong-word errors effect (er, I mean affect) me. I'm guilty too often to point fingers. YMMV

When someone says to me, give me a break. I usually ask, neck legs or arms?

I hate the auto correct on phone. I had a friend text me a picture of a really small camper jokingly saying he wondered if the Ford f150 was really strong enought to pull it. I joked back that it might have had trouble on Adaitsville mountain! LOL I then noticed the missed spelling of Adairsville and sent him the correct spelling, only the phone picked the Adaitsville spelling, I sent it to him again like this A d a i r s v i l l e GRRR doggone phone! He sent back a LOL and said my fingers were just too big.

I’ve learned to find the humor in eggcorns. For all intensive purposes, per say, I wait for them with baited breath.

Not really a pet peeve, just an update to one.
Family next door up and left in the last two days. Have no idea what happened, it has been chaos for a while.

Very quiet now. However, the house is a rental :-(, so who knows what is next. The owner lives out of state, barely takes care of the house and yard, it is looking more like a jungle. She has people come mow the grass, but nothing else.
We cut back any trees, bushes that overflow into our yard and I get out the weed killer for around the fence line. I am dreading the English ivy I see creeping this way.......I so dislike that stuff.

Numb nuts on a harley with open pipes keeps revving the engine sitting at a stop light. Alright after the first one everyone within a mile knows you are here.

Numb nuts on a harley with open pipes keeps revving the engine sitting at a stop light. Alright after the first one everyone within a mile knows you are here.

We've got a guy with open pipes (and, I swear some sort of amplifier for "better " sound:facepalm:.) I assume he must be coming home from w*rk - every night at precisely 2:25AM and zooms up the drive of the condo bldg. next to ours. He parks and goes into the bldg. just as if he had driven a Tesla with no noise.

I'd like to go to one of our local "meet the councilman, FD, police" meeting and ask how many noise tickets they have give to such motorcycles and "hot" cars.

I'm sure the answer is zero. It is not a priority and (big secret) anyone they arrest would either be related to them or to someone they know. I'm really not exaggerating - much. Well, returning you now...

We've got a guy with open pipes (and, I swear some sort of amplifier for "better " sound:facepalm:.) I assume he must be coming home from w*rk - every night at precisely 2:25AM and zooms up the drive of the condo bldg. next to ours. He parks and goes into the bldg. just as if he had driven a Tesla with no noise.

This kind of horrible noise pollution has become a scourge in recent years. Not a single night goes by where I don't hear roaring, thundering, hot-rod engine and muffler noises off in the distance, usually multiple times over many hours. Even "off in the distance", they are easily as loud as a normal motorcycle driving by my house would be. It boggles my mind that people go out of their way and spend valuable money to make their vehicles so obnoxiously, stupidly loud.

This kind of horrible noise pollution has become a scourge in recent years. Not a single night goes by where I don't hear roaring, thundering, hot-rod engine and muffler noises off in the distance, usually multiple times over many hours. Even "off in the distance", they are easily as loud as a normal motorcycle driving by my house would be. It boggles my mind that people go out of their way and spend valuable money to make their vehicles so obnoxiously, stupidly loud.

Full disclosure: Unless I'm UP I usually sleep through the noise. My brain will react to an odd noise (for a while the guy next door - a tax preparer) was coming home at 3:00 AM. That woke me up for a few cycles. We have sirens almost every night as our condo is on the route to an assisted living complex. So I can sleep through the sirens now.

BUT, since I'm retired, some of my "day time" can be shifted to that time of the AM. THEN such sounds are very irritating. Especially the "numbnuts" who trick out their bikes to make as much noise as possible. Inexcusable! Obnoxious! Inconsiderate! I'd better quit.:angel:

Especially the "numbnuts" who trick out their bikes to make as much noise as possible. Inexcusable! Obnoxious! Inconsiderate! I'd better quit.:angel:

ICAM! If it were up to me, making that much noise on purpose during the overnight hours would be a felony. Same goes for shooting guns, setting off fireworks, playing obnoxiously loud car stereos with the windows/top down, etc.

The sound of power not making it to the wheels.

The actual power (or, better yet, the energy) of the sound is relatively small. I recall an exercise, someone calculated that taking all the sound of a Saturn V rocket and concentrating it could (under the right conditions) heat a cup of coffee.

It's unfortunate that more engine power (to the wheels) is actually improved by deleting mufflers (which can cause back-pressure.)

On the strip or track, I say go for it. Make all the noise you want, but why do the yahoos rev their engines in front of my condo at 2AM? I swear, I think they love to hear the echo. Just those darned mopeds can really make a racket. YMMV

Oh, not a felony - my opinion. BUT DO arrest the folks making the noise and give them the ticket and charge them enough to make them willing to stop making the noise. End of rant. I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom