What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

+1 on the sticky syrup packets.

It makes me wonder if the people who design and sell this stuff actually use it in real life.
No, but take pleasure in messing with people.

These are great. My peeves melt away in glorious ketchup dipping dreams. I see them at Chick-Fil-A, not sure who else has them.

dlniekkke7crycrctz8q.jpg

These are great. My peeves melt away in glorious ketchup dipping dreams. I see them at Chick-Fil-A, not sure who else has them.

dlniekkke7crycrctz8q.jpg

Yes! THIS is how life is supposed to be!

Don't eat ketchup so that doesn't bother me. Until someone reaches into my pile of fries and gets ketchup on my fries! Get outta my fries!

Early morning kayaking cut short, too much Canadian crud in the air.

Garbage grammar in news articles... it is obvious they are dictated with predictive text or autocorrect and never proof-read. As I'm reading the local news this morning:

""The ownness is and should be on the government to show a private property owners data and science as to why that property must lose their entitlements," said Manatee Commission Chair Kevin Van Ostenbridge."

Not the onus? Grating when reading stuff like this.... does anyone take pride in their craft? Even my Mozilla extension flagged it when I copied and pasted it.

Garbage grammar in news articles... it is obvious they are dictated with predictive text or autocorrect and never proof-read. As I'm reading the local news this morning:

""The ownness is and should be on the government to show a private property owners data and science as to why that property must lose their entitlements," said Manatee Commission Chair Kevin Van Ostenbridge."

Not the onus? Grating when reading stuff like this.... does anyone take pride in their craft? Even my Mozilla extension flagged it when I copied and pasted it.
I read the newspaper for the sight impaired on the local PBS station for about 8 years. When you are reading news articles for the first time it can be a challenge to insure the sentence structure, spelling, and grammar is correct as it goes on the air. It is rare if you can get through 2 hours of reading articles without a few stumbles while sorting out and making corrections as you read.
Then listen to the local news on TV and see how many grammatical errors, misuse of verb tense or pronouns you can count that are made by the reporters. :facepalm:

Cheers!

I finished my dental visit and as I was leaving my 6.5 year old truck wouldn’t start - dead battery! OK, DW wasn’t far away and could easily come over and I could jump start it. Well, I had no idea that the engine had two covers I had to remove just to get to the battery terminals and I felt silly standing there studying the owner’s manual just to figure it out. Actually it said I also had to remove the air duct leading to the filter but I couldn’t for the life of me figure that out. Luckily it wasn’t really necessary and I got the engine started. The anti-peeve was that the dealer was just down the road and didn’t charge a ridiculous amount for a new battery. Not more ridiculous than the auto parts stores anyway.

I finished my dental visit and as I was leaving my 6.5 year old truck wouldn’t start - dead battery! OK, DW wasn’t far away and could easily come over and I could jump start it. Well, I had no idea that the engine had two covers I had to remove just to get to the battery terminals and I felt silly standing there studying the owner’s manual just to figure it out. Actually it said I also had to remove the air duct leading to the filter but I couldn’t for the life of me figure that out. Luckily it wasn’t really necessary and I got the engine started. The anti-peeve was that the dealer was just down the road and didn’t charge a ridiculous amount for a new battery. Not more ridiculous than the auto parts stores anyway.

Yup, we ran into that trying to jump start our old van with our new (2018) Honda Pilot. You have to disassemble some stuff, can't actually get to the battery, and where they want you to connect positive and negative are a couple of feet apart :confused:

It looks like my 2018 Audi A4 is just as bad.

We carry portable jumpstarters now, though even connecting those looks like a chore on these newer cars.

Yup, we ran into that trying to jump start our old van with our new (2018) Honda Pilot. You have to disassemble some stuff, can't actually get to the battery, and where they want you to connect positive and negative are a couple of feet apart :confused:

It looks like my 2018 Audi A4 is just as bad.

We carry portable jumpstarters now, though even connecting those looks like a chore on these newer cars.

In my MB, the battery is under the passenger seat, but there are jumper terminals on side of fender.

On my way to a Pittsburgh dance class yesterday evening, on a 2 lane road was coming to a stop as the traffic light was already red. Some joker cut out from behind me and on the apron drove through the red light. Had a near miss, with cross trafic starting up.
No it was not a cop car though the driver may have been one.

There is one part of a highway, locally refered to as "parkway" about a 3 mile stretch before a tunnel into Pittsburgh. In the mornings and evenings it lives up to its name symbolically. Two miles of cars nearly parked heading into the city. Fortunately there is an exit which I can take just at the tail end of the slo mo procession, and get to class using side roads. Annoying the GPS:)

Going away from the tunnel, to the east, most any time of the day, it is treated more as a racetrack. Doing 65, the speed limit is 55, seems like being parked.

Last edited:

No jump terminals exposed anywhere? My car has the batter in the trunk but there are terminals you can see if you open the hood to jump...

...and where they want you to connect positive and negative are a couple of feet apart :confused:

As one who has blown up a battery jump starting a car I'm well aware (now) that they do that for good reason. It hopefully keeps any sparks away from the hydrogen.

I was lucky and didn't get any acid in my eyes.

In my MB, the battery is under the passenger seat, but there are jumper terminals on side of fender.

My 2000 Buick has the battery under the rear seat. Not a serious issue if you have 12 ft. jumper cables. However, I couldn't find any auto shop that would replace the battery for me. I had to do it myself - which was actually easier than the normal up-front battery.

Apparently, the auto shops don't want to take a chance on damaging your interior when they're hefting around all that acid (sealed, of course.)

Latest peeve: Curbing in busy parking lots :mad:

Why the H$LL do they have such a short turn radius? Can't they make the turn curb a larger radius? I try to be careful, but it usually means turning wide, and when there are other cars coming toward you in that lane, not possible.

FWIW, I am talking about leaving the parking area, but onto an access way in the lot.

Just venting. No damage from running over the curb, at least today.

Parking garages are worse. There is one at the airport in Greenville, SC that has very tight, high curbs at the exit gate lanes. The Hertz outfit there only has large vehicles - you get them for the price of compact cars. Mostly Dodge Chargers and oversized crew cab pickups. Yup, ran over those curbs a lot.

Too much traffic, even in residential areas. Get off my lawn, and while you're at it, get off my roads!

Why the H$LL do they have such a short turn radius? Can't they make the turn curb a larger radius? I try to be careful, but it usually means turning wide, and when there are other cars coming toward you in that lane, not possible.

FWIW, I am talking about leaving the parking area, but onto an access way in the lot.

We had a guy at megacorp who used to park at the back of the parking lot. Each parking slot had one of those ubiquitous concrete bumper stops. When the "bell" rang, he high tailed it to his car, drove over the bumper stop, drove out through the grass and onto the road. This went on for some time until someone turned him into plant security. That was the end of the short cut. So he had to join the mass exodus at "quitting time." I rarely left on time, so didn't have to mess with the traffic.

I always wondered how long that guy's suspension lasted. YMMV

My pet peeve has to do with the CNBC Graphics Dept.

They will put up a Chart showing 6 stocks, using various shades of pastel colors on a line graph. A veritable ton of data points covering a length of time specified with very small font size. This chart will flash on the TV screen for maybe 5 seconds. And then it's back to the talking heads expounding on their own insights.

I like Charts, due to my Engineering background. There is a great deal of information that can be presented graphically.

But it requires more than 5 seconds to digest it.

They will put up a Chart showing 6 stocks, using various shades of pastel colors on a line graph. A veritable ton of data points covering a length of time specified with very small font size. This chart will flash on the TV screen for maybe 5 seconds. And then it's back to the talking heads expounding on their own insights.

I like Charts, due to my Engineering background. There is a great deal of information that can be presented graphically.

Benjamin, I have one word for you. Plastics - er, I mean DVR.:cool:

I always have my finger on the DVR to pause (or go back - on live or recorded TV.) W*rks like a charm. You can look at any screen as long as you want with your DVR.

Benjamin, I have one word for you. Plastics - er, I mean DVR.:cool:

I always have my finger on the DVR to pause (or go back - on live or recorded TV.) W*rks like a charm. You can look at any screen as long as you want with your DVR.

So my related pet peeve is, some of the video players (on a website, or streaming, etc), dim the darn screen when you pause, or throw up a graphic or something, which blocks or makes it hard to read the info I hit pause for! Argggghhhh!!!!!!!!

-ERD50

Related: They'll show a list of 5 dow gainers, then switch to losers.
Problem is, seems like they literally only leave each of the lists on the screen for a second or two tops :(

I noticed this again yesterday, but I hadn't mentioned it before. Since coming to Texas five years ago, I've noticed that there are many large vehicles on the roads here. Many more trucks and larger SUVs than were back in Silicon Valley. Large trucks and SUVs themselves are not a pet peeve.

Yet, when parking lots are created or repaved, you would have thought everyone here was driving a compact or subcompact vehicle given the spacing between the lines (pet peeve #1). So much land, and parking lot spaces are quite narrow. Some here are stubborn enough to take up two spaces with their large vehicle because of this.

I've come out from shopping or a restaurant to find vehicles on both sides of us so close I had no real way to get in without damaging someone else's vehicle. I usually park well away from other vehicles to try and avoid this, but it seems others are intent on parking right next to us despite there being plenty of other consecutive, open parking spaces (pet peeve #2).

One time, I had to open the back hatch and climb over two rows of seats to get into the driver's spot. My chiropractor was not too happy to hear about that, but if I had been driving a sedan or coupe, I would have been out of luck.

Last edited:
My wife took her 2020 car to a local car wash against repeated requests to never go to one. Her car paint was like new. There were no scratches or oxidation and had Auto Bond sealant from the dealer which has a 5 year warranty. When she left this morning her car was slightly dusty just like mine. I rinsed my car (same model and vintage) off with water and it looks like showroom. The car wash scratched up the hood and the roof of her car and the rest of the surface was dull and spotted. They claim the paint was oxidizing and won't do anything about it. I am so upset with both her and the car wash and there is nothing I can do.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom