What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Benjamin, I have one word for you. Plastics - er, I mean DVR.:cool:

I always have my finger on the DVR to pause (or go back - on live or recorded TV.) W*rks like a charm. You can look at any screen as long as you want with your DVR.

Ha-Ha Koolau....I have my trigger finger on the Cable's DVR controls.

To really digest the data in their charts I need more than their allotted time. You know the old joke about "It takes him 2 hours to watch 60 Minutes" ?

So my related pet peeve is, some of the video players (on a website, or streaming, etc), dim the darn screen when you pause, or throw up a graphic or something, which blocks or makes it hard to read the info I hit pause for! Argggghhhh!!!!!!!!

-ERD50

I guess I'm blessed. Neither of my DVRs (here at the Old Homestead or in the Land of Ever Summer.) YMMV

So my related pet peeve is, some of the video players (on a website, or streaming, etc), dim the darn screen when you pause, or throw up a graphic or something, which blocks or makes it hard to read the info I hit pause for! Argggghhhh!!!!!!!!

-ERD50

That is unfortunate to say the least. You wonder if the people who built it ever used it.

FWIW, my 10+ year old Tivo Roamio does not dim the screen.

That is unfortunate to say the least. You wonder if the people who built it ever used it.

FWIW, my 10+ year old Tivo Roamio does not dim the screen.

I'm not talking about any specific hardware, I'm talking about some streaming services or web videos. Pluto TV is one.

-ERD50

My peeve: had to replace my internet modem because the internet provider is upgrading the service and the old one will stop working soon. The directions were basically “no problem, you just plug the new one in”. Of course, I knew it would take hours, that stuff is never plug and go. Sure enough, it was a four hour ordeal. Follow the instructions. No go. Do it again. No go. Do the troubleshooting. No go. Do it again. No go. Start over. Same. Rinse, repeat. Finally, give up and call the number. On hold half an hour. And then with the service agent on the phone for 20 minutes.

The good news: he was able to do something at his end to send a signal and fix it. So the end result is I have internet again. But I lost the whole morning.

My peeve: had to replace my internet modem because the internet provider is upgrading the service and the old one will stop working soon. The directions were basically “no problem, you just plug the new one in”. Of course, I knew it would take hours, that stuff is never plug and go. Sure enough, it was a four hour ordeal. Follow the instructions. No go. Do it again. No go. Do the troubleshooting. No go. Do it again. No go. Start over. Same. Rinse, repeat. Finally, give up and call the number. On hold half an hour. And then with the service agent on the phone for 20 minutes.

The good news: he was able to do something at his end to send a signal and fix it. So the end result is I have internet again. But I lost the whole morning.

Let's hope you do not have the one I got... it has both 2.4 and 5 signals on the same name and password... it chooses which one to connect you to based on signal.... sound great... right?

Well, my handy-dandy smart sprinkler controller has a problem with that.. for some reason the wi-fi keeps trying to change it and it only works on 2.4.... and it does NOT reconnect properly... it goes offline all the time... the sprinkler company says it is Comcast's problem and Comcast says it is the sprinkler controller that is the problem... there is no fix as far as I can tell...

DW complains about her Ipad dropping her signal and then taking a minute or two to reconnect... I have had the problem also... my smart TV sometimes will lose signal and I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work.. just turning it off does not do it...

HMMMM, I guess this is my peeve :LOL:

Let's hope you do not have the one I got... it has both 2.4 and 5 signals on the same name and password... it chooses which one to connect you to based on signal.... sound great... right?

Well, my handy-dandy smart sprinkler controller has a problem with that.. for some reason the wi-fi keeps trying to change it and it only works on 2.4.... and it does NOT reconnect properly... it goes offline all the time... the sprinkler company says it is Comcast's problem and Comcast says it is the sprinkler controller that is the problem... there is no fix as far as I can tell...

DW complains about her Ipad dropping her signal and then taking a minute or two to reconnect... I have had the problem also... my smart TV sometimes will lose signal and I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work.. just turning it off does not do it...

HMMMM, I guess this is my peeve :LOL:

Why not just switch the router out with one that operates only on 2.4 Ghz? I'll also bet there is a setting inside the router firmware that allows you to shut off 5 Ghz. Something you could check with Comcast.

Pretty much each year when I come to the mainland, I go through the same thing. No one on the phone can tell me what I've done wrong but within (shortest time 2 hours, longest time 5 hours) I'm usually back up on the internet. YMMV

-ERD50
I did not pause for Jeff Goldblum. I paused for the scene to see what is on that rock. Jeff is in the way!

Attachments

• adv.JPG
    adv.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 37
Well, we had thunderstorms last night. Not really severe, but the pup worked herself into a panic which involved a great deal of sleep deprivation for all concerned.

This morning I shuffled into the kitchen and grabbed the cinnamon to add to my coffee (or so I thought). Cajun spices. Oh well, waste not want not.

The forcecast for today was, partly cloudy. It is raining hard. The part clouds must have had hidden stores water and sprang massive leak.

I got a bill from a medical provider. I've been expecting it because it's from my deductible from January. Their billing finally got caught up.

On the statement there's a note - "Did you know you can pay online?" Great, I do this with all the bills. I go to the website for the provider and there is no place for billing, patient portal, make a payment or anything close to that. The provider has another name for their office so I look that up and nope, no place to pay a bill.

So I called the office. Go through phone menu until I get to billing, wait a bit and get to a person. I explain I'd like to pay my bill online but I don't see a link.

"Sorry about that. When they redesigned the website they lost the bill paying feature." Now, to me this sounds ridiculous on a couple of levels but at least I got the answer!

So I paid by mail.

My insurance provider claimed I could set up autopay on their website. Nope, I too had to call. They said they would have to mail me a form which I would sign and return, then wait some untold number of weeks for it to be effective. Considering how much trouble I’d had with them with billing in the past, no way!

Last edited:
This is why I still have a checkbook.

Last edited:
My insurance provider claimed I could set up autopay on their website. Nope, I too had to call. They said they would have to mail me a form which I would sign and return, then wait some untold number of weeks for it to be effective. Considering how much trouble I’d had with them with billing in the past, no way!

My insurance provider will take my credit card, but refuses to take DH's. Go figure. He pays the auto insurance monthly, and I pay the homeowner's insurance and umbrella - yearly. So for now, they all remain attached to my card.

I pay by check when I am offered the convenience of a credit card payment for a fee.

My insurance provider will take my credit card, but refuses to take DH's. Go figure. He pays the auto insurance monthly, and I pay the homeowner's insurance and umbrella - yearly. So for now, they all remain attached to my card.

I pay by check when I am offered the convenience of a credit card payment for a fee.

DW loves to call the billing dept. and use her CC to pay. Points apply!

Went to buy some groceries. Self checkout is the sign of the times.

The first time I did self checkout was pretty intimidating. But now, though I'm not crazy about, I have my own routine. I get by.

So, I'm minding my own business scanning my stuff to buy and an employee comes up and tells me how to scan the vegetables (though I didn't even ask for help). Then she starts pulling out more stuff from my cart and scanning. She tells me that I didn't accept the weight of oranges properly (though I think I did). She then uses her pass key and makes the "correction."

Being the polite person that I am, I smile and say thanks and ask her to scan a potato from the cart. All the while I'm thinking, "The store needs to decide if they want customers to self-checkout, let them self-checkout or open some registered with cashiers. " Oh well, what do I know? ... :popcorn:

I have started using self check out more, usually when I only have a few items, because people in those lines always seem to be in a rush!
BUt, last shopping trip was my bigger one, all the other lines were full so I went to self check out.
The thing I like about self check out is ability to bag groceries the way I want them. So, took my time, scanning and bagging my cart. No rush.
Boy, the looks and sighs I got from the lady behind me. She kept inching her cart closer, until I finally kind of gave her my "Mom" look (the one you give your kids to know they better start behaving:LOL:). She got it. I finished up, paid and went on my way.
Self check out is not the express "15 items or less" check, folks! It is for anyone who wishes to utilize it.

I have started using self check out more, usually when I only have a few items, because people in those lines always seem to be in a rush!
BUt, last shopping trip was my bigger one, all the other lines were full so I went to self check out.
The thing I like about self check out is ability to bag groceries the way I want them. So, took my time, scanning and bagging my cart. No rush.
Boy, the looks and sighs I got from the lady behind me. She kept inching her cart closer, until I finally kind of gave her my "Mom" look (the one you give your kids to know they better start behaving:LOL:). She got it. I finished up, paid and went on my way.
Self check out is not the express "15 items or less" check, folks! It is for anyone who wishes to utilize it.

What's gets me is the little room self-checkout gives you to bag stuff. The Aldi I go to has switched to mostly self-checkout. When I shop aldi usually I buy a bunch of stuff. I don't do self checkout there anymore. But the time that I did, there wasn't any room to bag the groceries. The checked groceries had overflows and I ended up having to bag stuff using the floor as my counterspace.

Don't mind using self checkout, I'm getting better at it. In fact I'm getting faster than the computer and have it need to call an attendant.
But my peeve is when there are three open checkouts and someone pulls up to the first one leaving no room to go around their cart. Just like the ones who pull up to the first pump at a gas station.
Pull to the front people! and get off my lawn!!

I try not to let inflation at the grocery store ruin my day. I'm used to sub-$3/gallon milk, but it's been creeping up above $3 recently. My small town local grocery store normally prices its store brand Piggly Wiggly milk at $2.99. Today, it was $3.49. Okay, it's not worth getting excited about. I start putting it in my cart when I notice that the expiration date on that gallon of milk, and on all of the other store brand milk, is today. What the....I check the level up in branded milk: $4.53. I crumple up my short list and leave without buying anything.

I try not to let inflation at the grocery store ruin my day. I'm used to sub-$3/gallon milk, but it's been creeping up above $3 recently. My small town local grocery store normally prices its store brand Piggly Wiggly milk at $2.99. Today, it was $3.49. Okay, it's not worth getting excited about. I start putting it in my cart when I notice that the expiration date on that gallon of milk, and on all of the other store brand milk, is today. What the....I check the level up in branded milk: $4.53. I crumple up my short list and leave without buying anything.

I have noticed that a lot of items are closer to their expiration date now as opposed to before... and I almost always check them...

One thing that I hate is candy... they can have a good till date months in advance but the candy tastes bad... they did not store it properly and the quality has gone downhill... seems to happen to Kroger more than others but everybody has had problems...

Nothing worse than a dried out Reeses peanut butter cup....

Nothing worse than a dried out Reeses peanut butter cup....

You are probably right because there is the process of rancidity occurring in the peanut oil.

But I got one that's close: a stale Oreo exposed to air for 4 weeks.

I was on a recent relief mission, and another group tells me: "Have any food you want, we have plenty. Help yourself." So I chowed down on the Oreo. Turns out that package was left by a group from 4 weeks ago and was sitting open for 4 weeks. Nobody wanted to throw it out, thinking it was someone else's food. We finally figured out it was sitting there for the last month. I can confirm that a 4 week stale Oreo is absolutely disgusting. Similar to eating the pad at the bottom of your shoe.

If you ever find yourself in these kind of arrangements where you share a kitchen, take your leftovers with you.

You are probably right because there is the process of rancidity occurring in the peanut oil.

But I got one that's close: a stale Oreo exposed to air for 4 weeks.

I was on a recent relief mission, and another group tells me: "Have any food you want, we have plenty. Help yourself." So I chowed down on the Oreo. Turns out that package was left by a group from 4 weeks ago and was sitting open for 4 weeks. Nobody wanted to throw it out, thinking it was someone else's food. We finally figured out it was sitting there for the last month. I can confirm that a 4 week stale Oreo is absolutely disgusting. Similar to eating the pad at the bottom of your shoe.

If you ever find yourself in these kind of arrangements where you share a kitchen, take your leftovers with you.

LOL, I will agree with you as I have had a stale Oreo but not as long as that... but the big difference is that the Oreo probably was good when the package was opened... not so the Reeses... I just paid good money for them...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom