What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

We have a large group of decorative rocks in our front yard--We have been here over 30 years and an older neighbor lady many years ago gave them to us before she sold her home and went to elder care. She and her DH had traveled all over the US in retirement collecting them-- it was their thing. We didn't really want them, but what do you say to a 90+ year old lady who is giving you something meaningful to her? I have known her for many years.
I don't know what all they are, but some I know are geodes, crystals, large granite and marble--all gorgeous stones, whites, grays, blues, some quite large and heavy, some about the size of a football. And they have grown on me, so I enjoy them, interspersed amongst the flower bed along the grass.
Never had any problems with them being out front. Until now.. New neighbors, 4 younger kids, moving them around, have no idea why they are playing with them?
School is back in session, so hopefully, they will stop.
No harm, but just bothersome.

Never had any problems with them being out front. Until now.. New neighbors, 4 younger kids, moving them around, have no idea why they are playing with them?
School is back in session, so hopefully, they will stop.
No harm, but just bothersome.

I'd find the parents and let them know. If one of them got hurt "playing" with your rocks, you'd certainly hear from them...

Coffee shops that can’t say small medium or large. Also, can you just call the coffee coffee instead of giving it some other name. I’ve went to several places and asked for a small coffee, they say we don’t have coffee it’s name some weird name and they don’t have small it’s some other strange name. I then ask is it coffee. They say yes. Then I ask if they have a small cup and they say yes. So I tell them I’ll have one of those in one of those cups. It’s insane. It’s coffee and a small cup.

I have 4 calculators on my electronic bench TI 30Xa and Casio fx300ES, both have dead batteries, TI-25X, half the time the bottom row of the display is gone, when it works, it's great. And then some off brand with a tilted display I like, it works about 90% of the time. I might just need to let something go!:LOL:

Coffee shops that can’t say small medium or large. Also, can you just call the coffee coffee instead of giving it some other name. I’ve went to several places and asked for a small coffee, they say we don’t have coffee it’s name some weird name and they don’t have small it’s some other strange name. I then ask is it coffee. They say yes. Then I ask if they have a small cup and they say yes. So I tell them I’ll have one of those in one of those cups. It’s insane. It’s coffee and a small cup.
Try buying just a cup of decaf at Starbucks. You'd think you were asking for some strange exotic brew no one had ever heard of.

Same with pizza!

Me: "Hi, I'd like a small pizza with..."

Pizza Person: "SORRY, we don't have a "small" pizza, there's only medium and large"

Me: "Umm... I'll take the smallest one you have then?"

Pizza Person: "Sure, that would be the 'medium' size."

Try buying just a cup of decaf at Starbucks. You'd think you were asking for some strange exotic brew no one had ever heard of.

Why would a person drink decaf coffee? It's like breathing oxygen-free air.

For the above you need to live in Idaho.

The fascination with the monarchy would be today's complaint. ;)

Thankfully, starting tomorrow I will deep in the woods with no access to the internet, television, or news for a good week and I will miss much of the wall to wall coverage of you know what.

Thankfully, starting tomorrow I will deep in the woods with no access to the internet, television, or news for a good week and I will miss much of the wall to wall coverage of you know what.

You can always change the channel, or even more extreme, use the “off” button.

It has the same flavor but it doesn't give me heartburn or keep me awake. But thanks for asking.

Yeah Starbucks. They live with the lingo. Venti? What is a venti and why is it so important?

Alcohol free beer & wine? Why bother?

I firmly believe that the only thing social media has given us is the opportunity to be our worst selves.

Not always. For example a female cousin of DH's who I was very close to died quickly from an awful cancer this Summer..she has a mid 50 age son who because of distance and stuff I don't really know or see at all.

He's been posting on FB since Mom became ill and died. Lovely pics of her, and memories and saying that he is struggling. So we talked at her funeral and he told me his Mom spoke often of me which felt good. I have gotten in the habit whenever his says something about his Mom of logging on to messenger and sending a private message. About his Mom, or about how I dealt with the grief of my parents, how its OK to feel sad and/or lost and someday the good memories of his Mom will help counteract his grief. I never would have been able to do this ITM before social media. I don't know that I would have done it at all.

We can use social media to be our best selves if we want to.

My view that social media works best when you know the people in real life. Ivinsfans example shows how it can facilitate connections, but those are best when the parties are familiar with each other.

I had a situation in the early days of social media where our college class had set up social media to help people reconnect. It soon was dominated by folks who many did not know, but had some sort of axe to grind. I got pulled into a situation when I disagreed with one person, and it led too them posting almost daily disparaging things about both me and DW (who had replied to their remarks about me). However... at our reunion I happened to spot the person and when over and introduced myself. They immediately started apologizing about getting carried away... the result is that they started posting much less, and when we did disagree on something, it became a very civil discussion where we wished each other the best. I would not say we are friends, but there is respect, and in subsequent reunions we have sought each other out to exchange pleasantries.

Ha Ha. I could be wrong, but I think 90% of us are bored to tears by all the coverage.

Bought an HP laser printer before 2022 tax season. Signed up for HP Instant ink at lowest price point after six month free. No, I did not read the fine print. As I logged in intending to cancel the subscription prior to being charged I was informed that would turn off the ability of the current cartridge. What? Oh yea, turn off and if left in while turning off can cause technical issues. Anyway just add my $1.99 per month (for up to fifty pages) to the Blow That Dough category. Still cheaper than buying cartridges for our old inkjet.

omg - thank you!!! I am beyond annoyed at this. Every time, they look at me like I'm asking for something ridiculous - even when it's late pm/early evening. Some of their stores offer decaf espresso and will do that over boiling water - other stores just flat out say no they can't help me.

Dunkin, fast food places, supermarkets - everyone has decaf coffee except Starbucks. And their staff often acts like I'm bothering them when I order it.

Many people can't drink caffeine for health or other reasons, but they won't even carry instant packages to accommodate customers. :confused:

It has the same flavor but it doesn't give me heartburn or keep me awake. But thanks for asking.

Why do so many people question those of us who enjoy decaf? Caffeine is a stimulant and interferes with sleep for some of us. It also affects blood pressure - not everyone can consume it.

Decaf coffee has been around for 50+ years - yet for some weird reason, people are now acting as if it's some useless, new fangled invention.:LOL:

I like a good cup of brewed coffee after a nice dinner out, but don't want to give up a full night's sleep for it.

Dunkin, fast food places, supermarkets - everyone has decaf coffee except Starbucks. And their staff often acts like I'm bothering them when I order it.

I'm a bit surprised at this. I rarely order decaf, but a number of times I've asked for it at a Starbucks in an airport terminal for DW, who wants a decaf on occasion. The barista has never blinked an eye, seemingly quite used to such orders.

Maybe it's more common in airports?

Ha Ha. I could be wrong, but I think 90% of us are bored to tears by all the coverage.

It may not be my cup of English tea, but I consider the coverage to be totally appropriate. I've watched some and skipped other parts of it. This is an historic event. It's unlikely to be repeated in our life times. Very much YMMV.

My PPOTD is people who stop in the middle of the huge crosswalk at the front door of Target to greet somebody they’ve apparently not seen in years and have a long conversation. I resisted the urge to honk.

"Queen dead at 96" is all the coverage I needed. The good news is that I can just turn the channel or skip the article I don't care about. It's when i'm with other people and one is going on and on about something that no one else cares about. That is my peeve on that situation.

Why do so many people question those of us who enjoy decaf? Caffeine is a stimulant and interferes with sleep for some of us. It also affects blood pressure - not everyone can consume it.

Decaf coffee has been around for 50+ years - yet for some weird reason, people are now acting as if it's some useless, new fangled invention.:LOL:

I like a good cup of brewed coffee after a nice dinner out, but don't want to give up a full night's sleep for it.

There is a tendency on the Internet to assume that which is good, right and true for me is also the same for everyone else. I’ve fallen into that trap myself.

Our bodies process caffein at different rates. People like me can drink a cup or two of regular coffee at 6 PM, and by 8 PM it’s mostly gone from our system. Others take until midnight to process the caffeine. IOW, do what’s right for you.

Back
Top Bottom