What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Overuse of the following phrases, usually with regard to weather. No, you are not living in a special time. Extremes always happen and have happened before. Last week's cold snap was less extreme than the Christmas 1983 snap.

Those peevish phrases, meant for clicks:
- "Unprecedented"
- "Once in a generation"
- "100 year"
- "500 year"

+1

Overuse of the following phrases, usually with regard to weather. No, you are not living in a special time. Extremes always happen and have happened before. Last week's cold snap was less extreme than the Christmas 1983 snap.

Those peevish phrases, meant for clicks:
- "Unprecedented"
- "Once in a generation"
- "100 year"
- "500 year"

I worked in property-casualty insurance. In 1991 there was a terrible winter storm in Europe and the UK. The underwriters told us it was a "once in 100 year event".

There was another. just as bad, less than a month later.:rolleyes:

And yes, I understand that two of those 100-year severity storms COULD hit that close together but the probability is pretty small.

Gloss Finishes

We finally need to replace our 18+ year old refrigerator and one of the first things we noticed was the new fridge has a smooth glossy finish instead of the textured finish on the old one. In fact, it seems most appliances and electronic devices these days have a shiny gloss finish. Personally I think glossy finishes are horrible. They show fingerprints, dust, streaks from cleaning, and even the tiniest little scratches. Flat or textured finishes were so much better but seem to be going the way of the dinosaur.

Computer Cases

I've been looking at ITX and MicroATX computer cases lately, and it seems the vast majority have see through glass panels now. I don't care what my computer looks like inside, in fact I would rather NOT see the internal components.

I also think the whole LED lighting thing is silly too. You can now have your fans light up, your RAM sticks flashing, and mood lighting around the case. Even keyboards and mice can flash a rainbow of colors. Personally I would find all those lights extremely distracting.

Most cases also seem to have the power and "front panel" ports anywhere but on the front. Usually on one of the sides or on the top edge. My computer sits down under my desk which would make those side or top mount controls very inconvenient. Why not put the front panel ports on the front?

Why don't more cases come with built-in SD and micro-SD card readers? Sure, you can use an adapter on a USB port, but it's one more thing to have to store, and an extra step when you want to retrieve data from an SD card. You can certainly connect external card readers, but then you lose a USB port, have one more device sitting on your desk, and more cables to manage.

Finally, there are very few ITX or MicroATX cases with front panel drive bays. Yes, I realize most people don't use CD drives anymore, but some of us do use them for burning BluRay's, ripping music, or burning CD's to ship in the mail. Yeah, you can always connect an external drive, but then you have to find somewhere to store the drive and the associated cables. There are also other uses for the front drive bays, such as hot swap drives, card readers, or custom control panels.

Case manufacturers just assume every user is a gamer. Some of us actually use computers to get work done. As with most things these days, it seems style takes priority over function.

We finally need to replace our 18+ year old refrigerator and one of the first things we noticed was the new fridge has a smooth glossy finish instead of the textured finish on the old one. In fact, it seems most appliances and electronic devices these days have a shiny gloss finish. Personally I think glossy finishes are horrible. They show fingerprints, dust, streaks from cleaning, and even the tiniest little scratches. Flat or textured finishes were so much better but seem to be going the way of the dinosaur.

I was watching classic (mid 80s) "The Price is Right" last night and one of the grand prizes was this very expensive (over $5k in 1984) black lacquer bedroom set. Aside from that style not lasting long, all I could think of is the nightmare of fingerprints and dust.

Our bedroom set is mid range stained and grained oak. It basically absorbs everything. Nothing shows until you let it build to a 1/2 year's long layer of dust.

We got one of the "stainless" model fridges a year ago. We didn't actually want one, but it was the cheapest they had in stock - and we needed one. SO DW placed a cloth covering over the stainless handle, so we wouldn't leave finger prints. The other day, she threatened me with a wooden salad spoon when I started to shove the door closed with my palm (on the actual door.)

Here in the Islands EVERYTHING rusts, so I actually expect the stainless to begin rusting before long. That will be nice. THEN I can treat it like the old fridge and just shove the door closed instead of carefully using the handle.:angel:

Led lights. Man I gotta agree with you. In my home office there are so many darn lights blinking, flashing, stuttering, just being bright that I often close that door at night.
Here's a funny story. I recently bought a wireless charging pad and finally found one that the lights come on for a few seconds then go off. My DW, technology deficient, put her iphone on the pad and when the light went off she turned her phone over thinking it wasn't working. The lights started flashing and she was happy.

Not so much a peeve, more of an amusement. Near next town is a traffic light, about a 1/4 mile before there are large blinking signs with the word "Red Light Ahead". It is timed so if doing speed limit, when it lights up the yellow will be on well befor arriving at light, which will be red when ariving.
Naturally most drivers sppeed, and try to beat it, while I slow down and just roll to a stop at the light.
For all those passing me and braking furiously to not run it and stop on red, I smile and say gently: yup their brakes work well.

We got one of the "stainless" model fridges a year ago.

We have all black appliances, so the glossy surface will be extra noticeable. I really hated the idea of it until I realized our dishwasher and range were glossy smooth too. I still prefer texture, but you really don't have any choice outside of the current trends (not with mere mortals budgets anyway).

We have the most basic 20 cu/ft top freezer refrigerator. That's plenty for us, but it still came to over $1300 with the optional ice maker. Ouch.

In my home office there are so many darn lights blinking, flashing, stuttering, just being bright that I often close that door at night.

Yeah, my home office was very annoying with the computer drive light blinking, cable modem, router, network switch, USB hub, phone adapter, UPS, etc. I recently relocated everything to a panel on the back wall under my desk. It really cleaned up the cable mess around my computer, and best of all it puts all the blinky lights back where they don't turn my office into a disco.

Oh, and notice all the fingerprints all over those glossy finishes...

Attachments

• 2022-10-28 133103 - New network and USB panel under desk.jpg
    2022-10-28 133103 - New network and USB panel under desk.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 39
There oughta be a law!
DW just got a notice that her Rx drug plan on Medicare is going to double in price. Surely they could have mentioned this during open enrollment.

There oughta be a law!
DW just got a notice that her Rx drug plan on Medicare is going to double in price. Surely they could have mentioned this during open enrollment.

I just switched to my plan's mail order. The initial retail prices are much better than at the approved pharmacies. BUT it's the "list" price that counts toward the "donut hole" so eventually I'll be paying a lot more since I have a couple of expensive drugs. Nice to get a few "common" drugs for a dollar or two retail - at least for now.

Amazon Search Results

I don't know when things changed, but Amazons search results have become completely useless.

One example, a search for "nvme ssd 2tb" brings up not only nvme drives, but SATA drives, and external too. It also lists 500gb and 1tb drives despite specifying what size I was looking for. Limiting the price to $150 still shows multiple drives over $150. Change to view by "Average customer review" and all the filters I had picked are gone.

Amazon used to have a decent search system, but it's basically worthless now. NewEgg has a far better search system if you're trying to find a computer part.

It's also irritating that 90% of what I find on Amazon is multiple Chinese knockoffs of the same thing. Nine or ten items that look exactly the same except for different company names. Clothing and household goods are the worst for this, though I see it with power stations and other electronic items too. Finding anything that isn't poorly made is becoming increasingly difficult.

I don't know when things changed, but Amazons search results have become completely useless.

One example, a search for "nvme ssd 2tb" brings up not only nvme drives, but SATA drives, and external too. It also lists 500gb and 1tb drives despite specifying what size I was looking for. Limiting the price to $150 still shows multiple drives over $150. Change to view by "Average customer review" and all the filters I had picked are gone.

Amazon used to have a decent search system, but it's basically worthless now. NewEgg has a far better search system if you're trying to find a computer part.

It's also irritating that 90% of what I find on Amazon is multiple Chinese knockoffs of the same thing. Nine or ten items that look exactly the same except for different company names. Clothing and household goods are the worst for this, though I see it with power stations and other electronic items too. Finding anything that isn't poorly made is becoming increasingly difficult.
I have to agree. Trying to find sugar free cough drops without everything else drove me to Walmart. OH, WM price was lower......

Another strange thing is the "try before you buy" feature. Even for Prime, once you choose that (for a shirt or anything), 2 day delivery vanishes and they offer many days out for the item delivery. Huh?

Last edited:
On the way home from figure skating, was in the grocery store, got sourdough bread, Irish butter etc.. Stopped at the meat cooler to pick up sausage. Started reading the ingredients, all the premium and mid priced stuff had second item as corn syrup.
Looked at about 8 varieties, threw them back.
Squatted down to look at the bottom row of house brands and much cheaper..... none had corn syrup as ingredient. So bought two of them.

On the way home from figure skating, was in the grocery store, got sourdough bread, Irish butter etc.. Stopped at the meat cooler to pick up sausage. Started reading the ingredients, all the premium and mid priced stuff had second item as corn syrup.
Looked at about 8 varieties, threw them back.
Squatted down to look at the bottom row of house brands and much cheaper..... none had corn syrup as ingredient. So bought two of them.

I'm not surprised. Sugar triggers the pleasure centers in our brains.

I was shopping for some hot chocolate mix before the holidays. Most brands had a number of additives that I can't pronounce. Then I found the store brand: coco powder, sugar, ground chocolate, vanilla. Just the four things necessary for a good mix.

Last edited:
Facebook groups. I resisted anything FB for years but I gave in and created an account so I could access groups dealing with special interests, especially genealogy and groups for local clubs I belong to. I know there are other groups which are cesspools of whatever, but I'm not talking about them.

My peeve is just how low the signal-to-noise ratio is. I have to wonder how some of these people find their way home. Once in a great while I find something useful or interesting, but most of what gets posted is either completely idiotic or simply ranting (OK, I'm ranting now but that's the purpose of this thread).

Facebook groups. I resisted anything FB for years but I gave in and created an account so I could access groups dealing with special interests, especially genealogy and groups for local clubs I belong to. I know there are other groups which are cesspools of whatever, but I'm not talking about them.

My peeve is just how low the signal-to-noise ratio is. I have to wonder how some of these people find their way home. Once in a great while I find something useful or interesting, but most of what gets posted is either completely idiotic or simply ranting (OK, I'm ranting now but that's the purpose of this thread).

Facebook groups can be curated to remove a lot of the "noise". Click on the three dots on the upper right of a post that doesn't contribute and select "hide all from Billy" and slowly it will get better. At least it gives you the feeling of control.

+1, completely agree. It's mind boggling that a company as huge and successful as AMZN cannot (or will not!) make their search function work more intuitively. My only guess as to why they have it work the way it does is that their highly sophisticated data mining/analysis indicates that customers tend to spend more time (and money) on the site when the search function gives a wider than expected range of results. Ultimately, for companies like AMZN, every little detail of how their service works is driven by maximizing sales down to the tiniest fraction of a penny per customer.

Years ago, I put electrical tape over 98% of the led showing on an irritating device.

Since then, a smart person came up with "LED Dimming Stickers"

https://www.amazon.com/FLANCCI-Blocking-Stickers-Dimming-Blackout/dp/B09DY1ZHKS/

Hahah, very clever idea someone had there. Of course, DIYers and LBYM guys like me (and you, JoeWras) will just use electrical tape cut to the right size, but something like this could be useful as a travel accessory. I can't count how many times I've turned the lights out in a hotel room or Airbnb only to be ambushed by a piercing green LED light coming from the TV or cable modem across the room!

The absolute worst use of an irritating and unnecessary LED light has got to be in an air purifier I bought years ago. I use it at night in my bedroom to provide gentle air circulation and white noise, but there is NO WAY to disable the blue LED lights mounted just under the top control panel. Even covered with electrical tape, the blue light seeps out through the small openings in the plastic grill! :mad: It boggles the mind that not only did they make the LEDs always-on, they used blue ones!

Well my long standing pet peeve was the shift in baseball which is going away of the dodo bird. However I have noticed that some hot chocolate mix is now for 6 oz of liquid vs 8 oz. Ughhh!

Oh yeah the renaming for the Cleveland Indians to the Guardians. What a Stuuuuupid name!

Keep off my lawn!

I saw another reply to this so went back...

I once looked for windshield wipers for my Pilot... needed a rear one also so ordered the one 'recommended'... well, IT DID NOT FIT!!! And the company that sold it to me would not give a refund!!!

BTW,. found out that nobody makes a wiper for the rear on mine.. it has some special arm that holds it from the surface of the car when not in sue... you can buy one without the arm but that is it... or buy the rubber part and put it in the metal arm you have...

Hahah, very clever idea someone had there. Of course, DIYers and LBYM guys like me (and you, JoeWras) will just use electrical tape cut to the right size, but something like this could be useful as a travel accessory. I can't count how many times I've turned the lights out in a hotel room or Airbnb only to be ambushed by a piercing green LED light coming from the TV or cable modem across the room!

The absolute worst use of an irritating and unnecessary LED light has got to be in an air purifier I bought years ago. I use it at night in my bedroom to provide gentle air circulation and white noise, but there is NO WAY to disable the blue LED lights mounted just under the top control panel. Even covered with electrical tape, the blue light seeps out through the small openings in the plastic grill! :mad: It boggles the mind that not only did they make the LEDs always-on, they used blue ones!

In a similar vain, the stupid "crawl" that runs at the bottom of a news broadcast. First, it runs way, WAY TOOOOO SLOOOWWWW....does the average viewer REALLY read that slow?!? When they first started doing it, I would find a piece of cardboard to hide it. Now I just ignore the news.

AND ON THAT SUBJECT...news folks...PLEASE STOP putting so many screens within the screen or having the meteorologist walk up to a large TV monitor with a weather map on it. I believe this is why we all need an 80" TV so we can see all these stupid mini-windows.

SNL did a pretty good skit on this years ago. https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/news-force/2870456

Megacorp allowing company-benefits "experts" to w*rk from home. In theory, if they can answer my questions, I don't care if they're on the moon. Last two times I called about benefits, I was shunted to a "home office." First one, the girl's dog barked the whole time. Just today, I called and was sent to another home office. The phone picked up and I could hear a dog barking but no one came on the line. I yelled "hello!" as loud as I could - but only a barking dog answered me. Eventually, I could hear a muffled interaction between dog and owner (apparently) - and apparently it was time for a "walk." I could hear a door opening and closing and no more barking dog. It had taken me 12 minutes and two password texts just to get this far. So, I had to hang up and start all over. But I'm not bitter.:angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom