What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

MOD NOTE:
More posts were deleted here.

Please, folks -- no more spoilers.

"Bodyguard" on Netflix. Six part miniseries.

Story of an Afghan war veteran with PTSD now working with the London Metro Police Department assigned to protect powerful and ambitious British Home Secretary, whose politics he can't stand.

It's a political thriller, action, and police procedural all rolled into one. The first 20 minutes or so of the opening episode is exquisite in its suspense. And there are more scenes that wring your nerves in subsequent episodes.

Jed Mercurio, show runner for the excellent Line of Duty series, creates another suspense-filled thriller full of twists and turns you won't see coming. Excellent production values with top-notch acting. If you liked Line of Duty, 24, the Bourne movies, etc. you will like "Bodyguard."

The lead actor, Richard Madden, has been rumored to be one of the possible actors to become the new James Bond.

Bodyguard was the most watched drama series on BBC since 2008.

So, it sounds like Ozark is a show you'd recommend? I'm thinking of giving it a go, based on recommendations in another online group I'm part of. Some folks there are saying it's the best thing they've seen on TV since The Sopranos. Is it that good?

I didn't watch Soprano's (I know...gasp! I was flying A LOT when it was first released so couldn't keep up) but I really, REALLY like Ozark. The end of the last season was one of the most shocking endings I have ever seen. If I were to rank the show...definitely in my top 5 of all time.

I liked Dexter, Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad but would still recommend Ozark over all of them (although Better Call Saul is neck and neck).

I watched Bodyguard when it first came out in 2018. I thought then that it was one of the best TV series ever. I normally do not rewatch shows, but I did rewatch Bodyguard, the first time by myself and the second time with my DH. Never seen Richard Madden until then, but since then, I've seen him in Elton John's film (Rocketman) and in Game of Thrones. He's a great actor.

Just finished S3 of Lost In Space (Netflix). 8-eps, IMO not as good as S1 or S2 but still worth watching. For those wondering...LIS is played straight unlike the TV series.

Just started it, and I'm at E7 of S1. I like the spin on the story. Dr. Smith's insertion into the mission is more real than the original.

Speaking of which: Parker Posey is playing one hell of a malevolent Dr. Smith. Yikes! I remember her in roles only on the fringes - perhaps the Gen X movies she was in were not my cup of tea and I breezed through them. (Fun fact: you can watch the original unaired pilot of the original series on DVD, Hulu or other services. Pilot 1 had no Dr. Smith. Pilot 2 introduced him.)

I will continue.

Last edited:
"Bodyguard" on Netflix. Six part miniseries.

Story of an Afghan war veteran with PTSD now working with the London Metro Police Department assigned to protect powerful and ambitious British Home Secretary, whose politics he can't stand.

It's a political thriller, action, and police procedural all rolled into one. The first 20 minutes or so of the opening episode is exquisite in its suspense. And there are more scenes that wring your nerves in subsequent episodes.

Jed Mercurio, show runner for the excellent Line of Duty series, creates another suspense-filled thriller full of twists and turns you won't see coming. Excellent production values with top-notch acting. If you liked Line of Duty, 24, the Bourne movies, etc. you will like "Bodyguard."

The lead actor, Richard Madden, has been rumored to be one of the possible actors to become the new James Bond.

Bodyguard was the most watched drama series on BBC since 2008.

Huge hit but the creator and the star have been busy on other projects.

So there's economic and creative interest but sounds like a lot on their plates.

If Madden gets Bond, maybe there won't be a second season.

Line of Duty keeps getting ratings too so there may be strong incentive to keep that going.

What new series are you watching?

DW & I recently finished seasons 1&2 of The Morning Show on Apple TV+. We both enjoyed it, and are hoping that there will be a third season. The show deals with the "Me Too" movement and related workplace issues, and does it in what I thought was a nuanced and thought-provoking way. Billy Crudup earned an Emmy for his role as a network chief, and he deserved it. The entire cast is quite good.

We've just started Succession on HBO Max, and that has sucked us in immediately (we're 2 episodes into Season 1). An aging media mogul is trying to hang on to his role as CEO of the company he's built, while his eminently unqualified adult children jockey for position to take over the firm. One of the summations of the show I saw before we started watching it was "An incredibly well-written show about truly terrible people". That sums it up really well so far.

Succession modeled after the Murdock family and the conservative media outlets they control.

I liked Dexter, Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad but would still recommend Ozark over all of them (although Better Call Saul is neck and neck).

I have not watched Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. Which would you recommend watching first? Anyone can chime in on their opinion. Thanks!

I have not watched Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. Which would you recommend watching first? Anyone can chime in on their opinion. Thanks!

I’d recommend Breaking Bad first then Better Call Saul.

Probably Breaking Bad since BCS was essentially a prequel (but also a spin off and sequel). It was a LONG time since I had seen BB, so I forgot some of the elements that were covered in BCS, but it didn't take away from the show. I am looking VERY forward to the next (and last, I believe) season of BCS. As a matter of fact, I would most certainly watch BB first because the latest season of BCS has been delayed several times.

They are both really well done and can be independently watched. But getting the easter eggs and seeing the backstory revealed thru BCS probably means I'd lean to BB first. Also, BCS is still working on the last season, so BB is all there for you to binge with no waiting.

I stopped watching Breaking Bad after 4-5 episodes. Just too gory and disturbing for me. Better Call Saul is much milder with a great lead character. I love how it develops.

What new series are you watching?

An interesting series I haven’t seen mentioned is ‘How states got their shapes’ from the history channel. The episode on accents was especially good imo.

Thanks for reminding me about this series!

I love Tamsin Greig and Paul Ritter, and I had somehow neglected to add this to my queue when I first noticed it some time ago.

It's just the kind of humor I like. :D

I’m glad to see several people have the same sense of humor that I have. Paul Ritter was so funny in this, but also very good in dramas like Chernobyl. He will certainly be missed.

I’m glad to see several people have the same sense of humor that I have. Paul Ritter was so funny in this, but also very good in dramas like Chernobyl. He will certainly be missed.

I also enjoyed his role of Billy, the medical examiner, in the series Vera.

We lost him way too soon. :(:(

Season 2 of All Creatures Great and Small just started on PBS. Such a good show.

I would start with Breaking Bad, but if it becomes too violent for you in the later seasons you can still watch Saul without seeing all of BB. I like Saul better but it's enjoyable to see the connections to BB and I would guess you might have better insight into Saul and Mike's characters if you see BB first.

I also enjoyed his role of Billy, the medical examiner, in the series Vera.

We lost him way too soon. :(:(

Yes, Billy in Vera was a wonderful role. He was delightful. Why does it always have to be my favorites? I miss Alan Rickman, too. Way too young!

Season 2 of All Creatures Great and Small just started on PBS. Such a good show.

I too am loving All Creatures Great and Small on PBS Sunday night, it is just the kind of show I enjoy. Animal lovers will especially like it. Once the current season is over I think I will go back and watch the old series (1978, on for several years) which is available on Britbox.

An interesting series I haven’t seen mentioned is ‘How states got their shapes’ from the history channel. The episode on accents was especially good imo.
I loved that show. It answered a lot of questions about those little bumps, nooks and crannies. Also, why are some parts of the US only accessible by Canada. And what about the restaurant that is split between Canada and US. Oh, and are boundaries still changing? You bet they are. NC and SC have had long running disputes with occasional recent changes. And SC and GA's issues got contentious.

Cool show, but only so much they could do.

Back
Top Bottom