What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

It's not new, but I've watched several episodes of "New Tricks." It's about a task force at the London Metropolitan Police that works on cold cases. The task force consists of its leader, a woman, and three male police investigators brought out of retirement. All characters have their quirks and the show is about them using new technology (teaching old dogs "New Tricks") along with their old school techniques to solve crimes.

So far the cases have been fairly interesting--I'm 50/50 in solving them--but the real fun is getting to know the personalities of old guys that came back from retirement. The show is part comedy, part police procedural. It didn't bowl me over but it is winning me over. Will continue.

I'm watching it free on IMDB TV, so there is commercials. Also available on Hulu and BritBox.

I've really enjoyed "New Tricks". I'm trying to stretch out the episodes because I'm sad that there aren't any new ones after this last season that I'm watching.

I've really enjoyed "New Tricks". I'm trying to stretch out the episodes because I'm sad that there aren't any new ones after this last season that I'm watching.

So I'm not the only one that puts off watching episodes because you love the series and you know you are reaching the end. I haven't gone beyond S03 of Line of Duty because I'm saving it.

BUT - MY GOD Cobra Kai is a home run. )

Initiating my appearance in this forum with a Cobra Kai appreciation post! Agree 1000% with your assessment. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had watching a series, and BONUS my kids and grandkids love it too. Multi-generational appeal, great messages, and sooooo enjoyable. Excited for season 5!

OK, for all you Cobra Kai people.

DW and I have never watched it or Karate Kid. However, DW's great nephew is an extra in a recent episode. (Family lives in Atlanta area.) We fast forwarded to his scenes. We saw 5 minutes of other stuff and didn't feel engaged.

Should we start from the beginning? Should we watch a movie (which one?)

We are clueless. But it was fun to see him in the school in the background near a locker. We freeze framed it and captured the scene. :)

OK, for all you Cobra Kai people.

DW and I have never watched it or Karate Kid. However, DW's great nephew is an extra in a recent episode. (Family lives in Atlanta area.) We fast forwarded to his scenes. We saw 5 minutes of other stuff and didn't feel engaged.

Should we start from the beginning? Should we watch a movie (which one?)

We are clueless. But it was fun to see him in the school in the background near a locker. We freeze framed it and captured the scene. :)

Well, I’m not a lifetime crazy fan of the franchise. Although I did like the OG Karate Kid movie from when we were kids. I’d recommend watching it. Not only is it a good movie, it’ll provide adequate background for enjoyment of the well done Cobra Kai series imo. Watching all the old karate kid sequel movies isn’t necessary.

I only watched the first season of Cobra Kai, but I think the appeal for me was those comedic one-liners by Johnny Lawrence's character as well as some of the politically incorrect things he'd say (and some others would say). Good laugh-out-loud moments.

Last edited:
Started "Debris" yesterday. SyFy, quite entertaining. Alien ship debris raining on earth, causing unexplained phenomena.

It’s incredible. Lots of twists. I binged it this weekend and just finished the last episode of Part 1, 10 minutes ago. I did also re-watch the earlier seasons the last 2 weeks which provided a good catch up. Hope you enjoy it.

Is this the last season or are they going to try to push on? Seems like if it doesn't end this season it will be in danger of jumping the shark.

First Peoples. A PBS series about the genetics of homo sapiens and how they spread across the world. 5 episodes, live on PBS or stream on Amazon (may also be on PBS Passport - didn't look there).

- Rita

Silent Witnesses on Britbox. Decent British drama show. Kind of grows on you....

Is this the last season or are they going to try to push on? Seems like if it doesn't end this season it will be in danger of jumping the shark.

I believe this question is about Ozark. Season 4 (in total) was announced as the final season.

I need about four more shows like All Creatures Great and Small. Already watched The Durrells of Corfu. Need to remember which season I stopped watching Call The Midwife.

Anyone watching The Book of Bobba Fett? I loved the Mandalorian but here Bobba Fett is a little less desirable.

Watched the first 3 episodes of Pam and Tommy on Hulu today. Even though I’m familiar with the story of the stolen sex tapes, the show is really entertaining, and the actors’ physical transformations very convincing.

I just watched a Netflix docuseries: "The Puppet Master: Hunting the Ultimate Conman", the true story of a British conman who pretends to be a MI5 agent.

It's a fascinating true story. Without giving anything away, I'll just say that the most amazing thing was that anyone actually fell for his lies. It's only 3 episodes and I binge watched it in one sitting. It's about 2 hr 10 min in total.

I need about four more shows like All Creatures Great and Small. Already watched The Durrells of Corfu. Need to remember which season I stopped watching Call The Midwife.

You sound much like us. The original All Creatures from the 1970s fits the bill. If you have PBS Passport then you might like Poldark. If you have Acorn and you like the old All Creatures then Vintage Roads Great and Small might amuse you, being the actors from the old show making road trips in Britain in an old Morgan with emphasis on motoring history and humor.

We’re big fans of British TV but it’s a bit heavy on the murder mystery genre.

Started "Debris" yesterday. SyFy, quite entertaining. Alien ship debris raining on earth, causing unexplained phenomena.

I had high hopes for that show but I thought the debris was too "magical", able to do anything the writer wanted to do with the story. I thought the two leads were a bit flat. I only watched 2 or 3 episodes though. Maybe it got better, don't know.

You sound much like us. The original All Creatures from the 1970s fits the bill. If you have PBS Passport then you might like Poldark. If you have Acorn and you like the old All Creatures then Vintage Roads Great and Small might amuse you, being the actors from the old show making road trips in Britain in an old Morgan with emphasis on motoring history and humor.

We’re big fans of British TV but it’s a bit heavy on the murder mystery genre.

I mentioned this before. If you like series that have a big dose of happiness then PBS’s Seaside Hotel is great. A comedy which has so far 7 seasons it takes place in Denmark starting in the late 1920’s and into WW2 I believe. It’s subtitled and we don’t much like subtitles but this is exceptional.

PBS usage:

We see PBS streaming via Roku. So this is for those who do a similar thing. I find the PBS interface via Roku to be pretty non-intuitive and it hides a lot of content.

Solution is to use the Web interface at pbs.org to view content and build "My List" choices. Then the TV version of My List provides easier navigation.

We are liking All Creatures and Call the Midwife is one of our favorites. We are also liking the new Around the world in 80 days on PBS. You would probably like Monarch of the Glen --set in Scotland about a family trying to save their estate, free on Trubi. I also recommend Poldark on PBS Passport.

I had high hopes for that show but I thought the debris was too "magical", able to do anything the writer wanted to do with the story. I thought the two leads were a bit flat. I only watched 2 or 3 episodes though. Maybe it got better, don't know.

Debris was on NBC last year and they killed it after 13 episodes. It is done.

The first 2 episodes were good, the last 2 were good, the stuff in the middle was boring. It was leading to great potential in the last 2 but now it just hangs in the air. Maybe that's appropriate.

I like 1883 on Paramount plus. It's a good Western show with a nice story and some good violence/action. I wish they made more of these kinds of shows.

Back
Top Bottom