What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Paunchy, I know you finished Severence and enjoyed the last episode.

I just saw this list published in todays Morning Brew, of the top 25 TV show episodes of 2022.
The finale of Severence made the list.

It’s an interesting list as not many “season Finales “were among the top episodes chosen (Although White Lotus, another show I watched, finale was too).

https://link.morningbrew.com/click/...NDc1MzhjMWE/5eaaa368fbd2976fc84173eeB6e71db67

Some new series that I might check out based on this list.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

After temporarily running out of stuff to watch on Netflix (I only watch about 1.5 hours per day max), I subscribed to HBO Max in order to watch a few shows. I’ll cancel the subscription after I’m done - I’m too cheap to subscribe to more than one streaming service. :D

I’ve only watched 2 or 3 episodes of the first season of each of these shows:

The White Lotus: I liked the first two episodes. I didn’t like the third. If the show keeps going downhill I’ll stop watching. After the first episode I had to laugh: each of the four stages of human sexuality is represented: budding, full bloom, declining, and gone. I’m skeptical whether the show has anything new to say about sexuality or wealth, but I’ll keep an open mind. As a kid, my family used to vacation on Antigua. This was 50 years ago when Antigua was mostly undeveloped. This was quite an adventure for a kid from a flyover state. What’s it like to bring a kid to an exotic tropical resort today? The White Lotus provides one opinion.

House of the Dragon: I liked how Game of Thrones tried to accurately represent European medieval life with a clever supernatural overlay (no dragons in medieval Europe AFAIK :) ). The open question is whether HoD has anything new to say about medieval life.

Succession: only a couple of episodes in. HBO may have missed an opportunity to show how power really flows within a major modern corporation (board of directors, senior management, middle management, line management, workers, etc.) The show’s succession crisis seems a bit unrealistic for a large publicly-traded firm, however I recently heard that now-disgraced FTX used QuickBooks for accounting, which is hilarious if true. Quite a few years ago a relative married into a wealthy family where a nasty succession crisis played out among entitled brats (children and grandchildren of the founder). I didn’t have a front-row seat to that drama - too bad. :popcorn:

I really enjoyed House of Dragons.

Started "The Sinner" it has 4 seasons each season is a crime story in its own right. Very good for a USA crime drama and worth the watch. We are halfway through season 2.

Really liked The Sinner, although didn't care for season 3 nearly as much as the other seasons.

Paunchy, I know you finished Severence and enjoyed the last episode.

It's my understanding Severence is based on the Murdoch family. I personally did not like Severance but really like the documentary about the Murdoch family on Prime. This family has so much power it's scary.

It's my understanding Severence is based on the Murdoch family. I personally did not like Severance but really like the documentary about the Murdoch family on Prime. This family has so much power it's scary.

Succession is loosely based on the Murdochs too.

I don't quite see it with Severance because the company and family lore go back like a century.

I don't think Murdoch's company has been around as long.

Also the Murdoch children are pretty well known, they're key players in the family/business drama. You don't really see that in Severance.

I don’t know think that Severence is based on the Murdoch family. It’s more like A Handmaids Tale set in a dystopian society. I think that’s who Succession is based on.

I watched part of the Murdochs on Prime. Very interesting story about their rise from a small Australian news/ media company.

If you mean Succession- I looked it up and it’s based on a compilation of several wealthy families which makes sense to me.

I don’t think Severance is based on a real company but I’m not positive about that.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Maigret on Brit Box. I'm liking it. I also watched Murder in Provence. I don't think it could go much slower!!!! Probably not going to spend any more time on that one.

Finished The Sinner, moved on to Three Pines. There is a pattern here. Happy Christmas to all and a Prosperous New Year.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Maigret on Brit Box. I'm liking it. I also watched Murder in Provence. I don't think it could go much slower!!!! Probably not going to spend any more time on that one.
Thanks for that. I’ll check it out. I hope they do a convincing job of 1950s Paris, otherwise……

Murders in Provence I found to be a joke because there is nothing French about it except for the lame attempt of cheek kisses.

If you mean Succession- I looked it up and it’s based on a compilation of several wealthy families which makes sense to me.

I don’t think Severance is based on a real company but I’m not positive about that.

Right, sorry I meant Succession. Just saying, the fictional series shows infighting within a family and grabbing power within a family. I'm looking at the bigger picture of how frickin powerful these families are and how they control the rest of the world. It's entertaining to watch rich people fight, how they live, and how they bicker over meaningless things...IMO. I don't get it. I could not watch more than 2 episodes of Succession. But I was blown away by the factual documentary about the Murdochs.

....moved on to Three Pines...

We tried Three Pines and, even though I love Alfred Molina, there was something about the writing and the other actors that had us switching off after 15 minutes. Does anyone else recommend Three Pines? Maybe I'll give it another go.

We've just watched 3 seasons of The Tunnel - the first two were good, the third not so.

Right, sorry I meant Succession. Just saying, the fictional series shows infighting within a family and grabbing power within a family. I'm looking at the bigger picture of how frickin powerful these families are and how they control the rest of the world. It's entertaining to watch rich people fight, how they live, and how they bicker over meaningless things...IMO. I don't get it. I could not watch more than 2 episodes of Succession. But I was blown away by the factual documentary about the Murdochs.

Gotcha.
I just prefer the fictional portrayal of rich people which I think is probably pretty spot on.
But to each their own. Good thing we have choices!

I watched the first season of White Lotus. I will not be watching the second. I can’t believe this show won awards. I thought it was a complete waste of time. Kept watching because I thought it would get better. It did not IMHO.

Three Pines- it was one step above a lifetime movie. Main character was good but the others
not so much. Again just my opinion.

Tried the first couple episodes of "The Recruit" on Netflix. First ep. was ok, 2nd was a bit better. Looks like it might grow on us. About a young attorney for the CIA who is thrown into a situation he isn't prepared for. With a bit of comedy thrown in.

Started "The Witcher - Blood Origin" only a short miniseries. Keeping up with appearances, true to form with lots of Blood, fighting and sorcery. Getting a bit long in the tooth, not for all.

The Xmas special of Doc Martin dropped, so will move on to the last series (10) after The Witcher is done.

Tried the first couple episodes of "The Recruit" on Netflix. First ep. was ok, 2nd was a bit better. Looks like it might grow on us. About a young attorney for the CIA who is thrown into a situation he isn't prepared for. With a bit of comedy thrown in.

Looked like an interesting show from the premise. We have seen 3 episodes to give it a chance but it just didn't work for us. I thought maybe it was going to be like "The Rookie" but wasn't.

Cheers!

Started "The Witcher - Blood Origin" only a short miniseries. Keeping up with appearances, true to form with lots of Blood, fighting and sorcery. Getting a bit long in the tooth, not for all.

The Xmas special of Doc Martin dropped, so will move on to the last series (10) after The Witcher is done.

Emphasis added above

A bit off topic, but for people who like The Witcher, I highly recommend the books. In the books the Witcher is more like the thinking man's warrior. He often outsmarts the bad guys rather than simply skewering them with his sword. In the books he has conversations with friends and opponents working out the details of the best way to solve a problem without hacking a few dozen people do death.

I get the recorded books. They are great on a long drive.

Thanks for bringing Maigret to my attention. Episode 1 so far has been outstanding in many respects. They’ve done an excellent job of the 1950s Paris setting IMO, but the story itself is compelling.

Not sure how it happen but went to watch Sinner and for some reason i started on Season 4. It was okay with lots of twist and turns but finding it hard to get into Season 1.

We tried Three Pines and, even though I love Alfred Molina, there was something about the writing and the other actors that had us switching off after 15 minutes. Does anyone else recommend Three Pines? Maybe I'll give it another go.

We've just watched 3 seasons of The Tunnel - the first two were good, the third not so.

Have read a bunch of the Three Pines books. Really enjoyed them.
Hoping the tv series does not disappoint.

Update... after watching the first few episodes of Sinner Season 1 it turned out to be pretty good.

Not sure how it happen but went to watch Sinner and for some reason i started on Season 4. It was okay with lots of twist and turns but finding it hard to get into Season 1.

Has anyone seen the new (and last) Doc Martin Christmas special on Acorn TV in the US yet? It was supposed to drop 12/29 but isn't showing up. I ask because I've had other shows that don't show up on my Apple TV app but do appear on iPad/iPhone, although the Doc isn't there.

Has anyone seen the new (and last) Doc Martin Christmas special on Acorn TV in the US yet? It was supposed to drop 12/29 but isn't showing up. I ask because I've had other shows that don't show up on my Apple TV app but do appear on iPad/iPhone, although the Doc isn't there.

Yes, but we had to download it from the UK on Boxing Day. It is the VERY last Doc Martin Episode. We will miss the series.

Currently watching "His Dark Materials" Season 3.

Rebooted on Hulu. Kind of funny. Plays the generations against each other. A bit like the old 30 Rock in that it’s a behind the scenes look at the production of a sitcom brought back with the characters now older.

Back
Top Bottom