What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

“Somebody, Somewhere” on HBO. It’s like a warm dysfunctional family hug. Besides this forum, I listen to a podcast called Pop Culture Happy Hour that discusses television, movies, and other pop culture trends. It LOVES this show.
I finally got around to watching this and it was wonderful. Funny, poignant and humane. I'm very much looking forward to a third season.

We’ve almost finished Season 2 of The Bear on Hulu. It’s categorized as a comedy, but it’s really a drama. It’s excellent, one of my favorite shows in recent memory.

Also just finished Season 3 of Ted Lasso. Disappointing, and I’m glad there won’t be any more seasons.

We’ve almost finished Season 2 of The Bear on Hulu. It’s categorized as a comedy, but it’s really a drama. It’s excellent, one of my favorite shows in recent memory.

Also just finished Season 3 of Ted Lasso. Disappointing, and I’m glad there won’t be any more seasons.

We found season 2 of the Bear to be almost hard to watch. Constant arguing and the holiday episode was disturbing.
Loved season 1.

We found season 2 of the Bear to be almost hard to watch. Constant arguing and the holiday episode was disturbing.
Loved season 1.

Agree, the drama was over the top. But at least it shows the truth of the restaurant business as opposed to the fake reality shows.

IIRC, even in season 1 people were constantly arguing, shouting and generally behaving like jerks.

My wife who loves drama, found it hard to watch. The holiday episode was very disturbing, but obviously some folks like that kind of stuff.

Finished Hijack last night. It was pretty good. Probably a couple of episodes too long.

Watched the Lincoln Lawyer. I found season 2 better than season 1. The acting was a little better and more of a plot.

I get that people might not like the chaos of The Bear Season 2. I really like the character development. The family Christmas dinner, in my opinion, is one of the greatest single TV episodes of all time. Seriously, Jamie Lee? That is some of the best acting ever. And the tension between Bob Odenkirk and and Jon Bernthal over the fork? That is amazing. If it is not your thing, sure, that's how I feel about a lot of stuff. But this was over and above the best TV since Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Just my slant. I like twisted.

Started Intruder another UK. drama. A little different from the usual police procedurals. It is working from the flakey perps perspectives.

I get that people might not like the chaos of The Bear Season 2. I really like the character development. The family Christmas dinner, in my opinion, is one of the greatest single TV episodes of all time. Seriously, Jamie Lee? That is some of the best acting ever. And the tension between Bob Odenkirk and and Jon Bernthal over the fork? That is amazing. If it is not your thing, sure, that's how I feel about a lot of stuff. But this was over and above the best TV since Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Just my slant. I like twisted.
I binged both seasons over the past week and I tend to agree with ronin. I haven't seen the depth of characters like this in a long time. Yes some foul language and tension in Season 1 but Season 2 was mellower, save for the episode mentioned above. Hoping there will be an S3 and hoping it won't disappoint.

I have tried (twice) to watch The Diplomat with Kerri Russell. I am a big fan of hers, and I was really looking forward to the show, especially after several folks in this thread gave it good reviews.

As the opening credits began, I heard a strange voice-over, and I thought there was something seriously wrong with my computer, or the streaming service. I restarted it, and the voice-over was still there.

It is the most annoying gimmick I have ever heard in a TV show, and it completely ruins it for me. It is distracting, it seriously interrupts the flow, and (IMHO) it is a very lazy device for telling a story.

I'll just have to wait until Kerri makes another series.

I just gave this a brief re-watch as I didn't remember any voice over. There isn't one. You must have some setting on the device/service doing it, there isn't one in the show that I can find.

It could be that "Audio Description" or "Described Audio" was turned on.

We accidentally set this once on the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I thought we actually were watching a documentary of the movie. I knew the movie well enough to know that narrator was not normal. After 5 minutes, I'm like: "Wait a minute! What is going on here?"

This is the equivalent of closed captioning for sight impaired.

I just gave this a brief re-watch as I didn't remember any voice over. There isn't one. You must have some setting on the device/service doing it, there isn't one in the show that I can find.

I just checked (The Diplomat) because I didn’t remember it either. But during the opening credits as they are showing the ocean and aircraft carrier, you hear voices from a pilot and air traffic control. It’s not really full volume, but maybe that’s what Calico was referring to.

Thank you for this.

I just checked and it is working fine (no voiceover). I did find the setting for the voiceover, but I have no recollection of clicking on it when I originally tried to watch the show. I might give it another try.

It could be that "Audio Description" or "Described Audio" was turned on.

We accidentally set this once on the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I thought we actually were watching a documentary of the movie. I knew the movie well enough to know that narrator was not normal. After 5 minutes, I'm like: "Wait a minute! What is going on here?"

This is the equivalent of closed captioning for sight impaired.

Yup, that was it. Thanks!

I am watching the last season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I was doubtful about it since I think the previous season showed an utter lack of imagination on the part of whoever writes and produces the show. Profanity seemed to have taken the place of good writing. But, I gave the final season a try and was very glad I did.

First, it is still loaded with a ton of profanity. It’s a shame because the profanity is not needed in that amount and simply supports the belief that the modern entertainment industry is just pouring verbal sewage into our homes, and contributing to the rather crude ways of public discussion.

That said, they really improved the show. A lot. It’s as though they had taken a creativity steroid. Or whoever provides the funding for the show read them the Riot Act. Maybe both. It flip flops in time here and there going forward as far as the 90’s and back to the 60’s. And there is good reason to do so. The scene with a member of British Royalty is hilarious. One of the best they have done. And, it has very little profanity. See, it can be done.

Last edited:
Dug Up and started watching "Upstart Crow" Xmas Specials and 3 Seasons, one of Ben Elton's masterpieces. If you like Black Adder, you will love this.

Watched "The Lazarus Project" Season 1 interesting concept SyFy series. Watchable, but not writing home about it. It is renewed for Season 2 though.

Plebs and Inside No. 9 are supposed to be good, we have those in the queue.

I am watching the last season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I was doubtful about it since I think the previous season showed an utter lack of imagination on the part of whoever writes and produces the show. Profanity seemed to have taken the place of good writing. But, I gave the final season a try and was very glad I did.

First, it is still loaded with a ton of profanity. It’s a shame because the profanity is not needed in that amount and simply supports the belief that the modern entertainment industry is just pouring verbal sewage into our homes, and contributing to the rather crude ways of public discussion.

That said, they really improved the show. A lot. It’s as though they had taken a creativity steroid. Or whoever provides the funding for the show read them the Riot Act. Maybe both. It flip flops in time here and there going forward as far as the 90’s and back to the 60’s. And there is good reason to do so. The scene with a member of British Royalty is hilarious. One of the best they have done. And, it has very little profanity. See, it can be done.

Haha, I never even noticed the profanity but it’s probably because every second word that comes of my mouth is an f-bomb ?

Back
Top Bottom