What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I looked at the synopsis on Hulu and thought why would I want to watch that..I'm happy I passed it by.

I think that's a totally reasonable choice. I was not uplifted by watching the series but DW really enjoyed the psychological exploration so watch it with her I did. This won't get her to watch a sci-fi series with me but such is life. :p

Mystery Road, filmed in Wyndham & Kununurra, North Western Australia, was just recommended to me by a buddy, so we have it on order from the library:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7298596/

Circa 1961 I flew, in a Beechcraft Bonanza, (my first ever flight), from Alice Springs to Wyndham....two pilots, me, and, for about two thirds of the trip, two drovers and a Border Collie.

Walked, in the heat & dust, to the pub....in time to encounter a woman, swigging beer from a quart bottle, exiting through the batwing doors.

Hitched a ride, with a bunch of drunks heading back, along the dirt almost road, to the dam site where friends had arranged a job.

Can't wait to see how it's changed.

Undercover Billionaire about billionaire Glenn Stearns being dropped off in Erie,Pa with $100 and a pickup hoping to start a business and turn it into 1M in 90 days. I'm sure it's staged but he throws out some valuable advice.

Currently watching Line Of Separation on PBS. It is about a rural town in Germany as WW2 ended, that is split in two by the line dividing East and West Germany and the impact on the families, former aristocrats and peasants and some Nazis, treated brutally by the Russians, only slightly better by the Americans and the ways in which they learn to deal with their predicament and potentially defect. Although it is a PBS production it is in German for the most part, with english subtitles.

Mystery Road, filmed in Wyndham & Kununurra, North Western Australia, was just recommended to me by a buddy, so we have it on order from the library:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7298596/

Circa 1961 I flew, in a Beechcraft Bonanza, (my first ever flight), from Alice Springs to Wyndham....two pilots, me, and, for about two thirds of the trip, two drovers and a Border Collie.

Walked, in the heat & dust, to the pub....in time to encounter a woman, swigging beer from a quart bottle, exiting through the batwing doors.

Hitched a ride, with a bunch of drunks heading back, along the dirt almost road, to the dam site where friends had arranged a job.

Can't wait to see how it's changed.

The lead character in this series, Detective Jay Swan, first appeared in the movie of the same name (Mystery Road, 2013) and again in the movie Goldstone (2016). I've seen the first movie - it is very powerful. Haven't watched Goldstone yet; it is in my queue, as is the series.

The lead character in this series, Detective Jay Swan, first appeared in the movie of the same name (Mystery Road, 2013) and again in the movie Goldstone (2016). I've seen the first movie - it is very powerful. Haven't watched Goldstone yet; it is in my queue, as is the series.

We have the movie on order at the library too! :dance:

Just started Derry Girls, season 2. It's a comedy taking place in Ireland during "the troubles".

The accents are very thick and we miss a lot of the dialog.

Amen to all the comments about closed caption. Thought the first episode of season 2 was a riot!

Not new, but watching a series that I didn't watch when it was on live TV.... Star Trek: Enterprise. Enjoying it.

Currently enjoying The Last Ship. It is sci fiction about a plague that has wiped out most of humanity but the Ship escaped by being out at sea. The survivors work to find a cure and restart civilization.

Yes, I really liked The Last Ship... especially Season 1... it got a little goofy after that.

Just started Derry Girls, season 2. It's a comedy taking place in Ireland during "the troubles".

The accents are very thick and we miss a lot of the dialog.

I always have captions on. Even need it for some American shows.

Currently enjoying The Last Ship. It is sci fiction about a plague that has wiped out most of humanity but the Ship escaped by being out at sea. The survivors work to find a cure and restart civilization.

This is great escape watching and Eric Dane is fine eye candy. The problem with this show is that like every other show that gets good ratings it goes on a season or two longer then it should. They should take a clue from Deadwood or Firefly and end it with the viewer wanting more....

The lead character in this series, Detective Jay Swan, first appeared in the movie of the same name (Mystery Road, 2013) and again in the movie Goldstone (2016). I've seen the first movie - it is very powerful.

Just watched the movie, (also picked up the series at the library today); it appears I was misinformed - apparently the movie (I don't know about the series), was filmed in Winton, QLD, rather than Wyndham, WA.

Enjoyed it......lots of "No worries" in the dialogue.

Just checked...the series is filmed around Wyndham...the movie in Winton.....so I wasn't misinformed.

Last edited:
Jay Leno’s Garage. It’s like the Leno version of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld...

Watched the first two episodes of Mystery Road....pretty good.

The main character is portrayed by Aaron Pedersen, who also appeared in Jack Irish another fine Australian drama:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4905554/

Last edited:
I have been a fan of so many classic series it would fill a book. From the 50's to the 90's. Yet I really can't name any series or program that has grabbed my attention in at least the last ten years. So with all that said what new or recent series is anyone watching or would recommend giving it a try?

I am a bit tired of the old shows and would like to think there is something worth while I am missing. It could be comedy, drama, adventure, I don't care as long as it is entertaining and on a cable network or regular OTA TV network. Any suggestions?

we're getting some laughs, some of which are unintentional i'm sure, binge watching 'The Good Fight", a spinoff of sorts to the mostly excellent "The Good Wife".

We are addicted to British Detective Dramas. Trouble we are having trouble finding them now as we have seen most of them. Going back in the years now.

Currently watching Midsomer Murders (20 Seasons)

Loved Murder in Paradise, Tunnel, Vera, Shetland, DCI Banks, Wytcliffe, Life on Mars, Morse, Endeavour and a lot more.

Rewatching Happy Valley.

It's so good.

we’d like the british shows A LOT more IF we didn’t have to use the captions to see what they are mumbling.

we’d like the british shows A LOT more IF we didn’t have to use the captions to see what they are mumbling.

There has certainly been a move to use all the UK accents. But also unfortunately and maybe to get some more realism, they've dumped the emphasis on good enunciation.

One advantage of being English is that we are taught to be Bi-Lingual in American and proper English at school, and go through life thinking we always have to do better than everyone else to get ahead, and get beaten if we do not (Sorry I was one that went to a private school and spend my like avoiding the cane and/or padding my underwear). Unlike in the US where kids are left basically to their own devices, do what they like and always believe anyway that they are all so special to start with. :) ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom